To duct tape or not to duct tape?

AbbyGirl

While sitting here bored at work and looking through suggestions for the dreading packing list, I saw that someone mentioned duct or painters tape for the stateroom with a little one.

Opinions on whether or not you've used it in the past to tape drawers shut, to cover outlet covers, etc...

I only travel with duct tape if we are flying. That way if the airline damages a suitcase, I can repair it enough to get it home. Otherwise, I consider it overpacking ;). Fwiw I also consider over the door organizers, highlighters and post it notes useless too, while others seem to think they are essential to enjoying a cruise lol! To each his (or her) own...

We didn't. We cruised with our just-turned-2 year old last year. There aren't any outlets low as notentirelynormal said.

I've heard of people needing duct tape for when the seas are rough to keep drawers and cabinets closed, but we've never had that problem. You can always rip a couple strips off the roll and stick them in your suitcase so you aren't taking an entire roll.

No way, especially not Duct Tape, that stuff leaves a mess.

I can't think of any reason those items would be useful to parents? What thread did you read all this in? Outlets are up high(not that there is enough voltage to cause issue anyway) and drawers? Who cares?

In one thread I mentioned painter's tape, however that was for decorating the door. Nothing to do with kids, just fun. I bring a very small amount wrapped around a pen to hold up the corners of the door poster I make. Maybe 6-8 inches worth.

My child went on his first cruise at 6 months and 1 day. I didn't bring a single "baby proofing" item then, and still don't.

I wouldn't duct tape anything. First, it leaves a mess and the cruise may charge you if you damage any of the furniture, etc. Secondly, there are only a few outlets (if that) in the cabin and, unless you put knives, etc. in the drawers, there's nothing for a small child to get a hold of. I wouldn't worry about it. I've cruised with my (then toddler) and everything was fine. Leave the tape at home.

I wasn't planning on taking the tape, and I surely wouldn't use duct tape! Not only does it make a mess, it could rip off the veneer from the drawers/doors.

I was just curious as to why people would think it's a good idea or must...

I don't remember which posting I saw it on specifically but there were quite a few.

I wasn't planning on taking the tape, and I surely wouldn't use duct tape! Not only does it make a mess, it could rip off the veneer from the drawers/doors.

I was just curious as to why people would think it's a good idea or must...

I don't remember which posting I saw it on specifically but there were quite a few.

When I saw the title of your post, my dirty mind wandered...but that's another forum. :) I think you'll be fine with your little one. I've travelled extensively with mine and the only thing she removed from a cabin drawer was one of my "feminine" products. I didn't know she had it (hid it in her pocket) until she showed all of her friends at the kid's club. Now, that was embarrassing!

Ok, I saw the topic and thought, isn't that a bit extreme for kids. The whole mantra slience is golden, duct tape over the lips is silver. I have used duct tape (reason 101) to create a better cleveage for one of those fancy dress I have no right wearing.

While sitting here bored at work and looking through suggestions for the dreading packing list, I saw that someone mentioned duct or painters tape for the stateroom with a little one.

Opinions on whether or not you've used it in the past to tape drawers shut, to cover outlet covers, etc...

I've never brought it, used it or even thought to need it, even with a toddler.'

though, our bag did get torn on the last trip, we did tape it once home...ummm...

If I brought enough, I could tape dd to the wall, as long as she had her baby and sippy, she'd be happy, right? :eek:

You can buy Duct Tape in "blister packs" which don't take up much space or weigh much so you don't need to take a big roll.

:D Seems to be a rule to take it. We've never needed but always take it because as soon as we don't we'll need it. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

I'll always pack duct tape, (but the decorative duct tape, not plain silver - there's so many fun design to choose from). We use it on the top and sides of our suitcases to help identify them. A different design for each of our family of four bags.

On our last cruise my beach tote bag handle ripped and we still had one more port that we needed to use it (didn't want to spend $ on buying a new one) - duct tape to the rescue and it worked perfectly.

We typically have to fly to the cruise ports for the destinations we want, one time before we left home I put some painter's tape around the cap of a lotion bottle because it wasn't fitting tight and I didn't want a spill/mess. Worked great there and back.

To me traveling with tape is like traveling with a safety pin - when you need it, you really need it and I like to be prepared! lol!

When I saw the title of your post, my dirty mind wandered...but that's another forum. :) I think you'll be fine with your little one. I've travelled extensively with mine and the only thing she removed from a cabin drawer was one of my "feminine" products. I didn't know she had it (hid it in her pocket) until she showed all of her friends at the kid's club. Now, that was embarrassing!

I like the way your mind works!!

took duct tape on our cruise but not to use in the room. we used on our baggage at the end of the trip. we wrapped our bags so that we could find the quickly in the terminal. it worked!! especially when one of our bags was placed in the wrong location. BTW, we used neon green

I always brought duct tape with me on trips when my son was a toddler. I could usually rig various forms of child-proofing with it (without carrying lots of extra child-proofing gadgets). There is an anti-adhesive spray you can buy (small pump bottle) to get rid of any residue the tape could leave. I used to bring a roll that was half used so it wouldn't take up too much room or weight. You have nothing to lose by bringing it. If you don't use it, just discard.

I always travel with some type of tape. I did this even before I had a child. I can't tell you how many times I've needed a quick repair to a shoe trap, or used it as lint remover......or when I was in the Las Vegas airport and my suitcase exploded and I needed to tape it back together. Tape can serve many different purposes and it has come in handy more times than I can count.

We have been traveling with our daughter since she was 7 months old. And I must say a few times we did need to use the tape to childproof. One time we rented a house in Mexico and they stored all of the dishes and glasses in the cabinets under the counter. We just looped tape through the cabinet handles and she couldn't get in. You'd also be amazed at how long a piece of tape can keep a child occupied on a flight. Our daughter just loved playing with painters tape.

I'm the "chaperone" parent - Scouts, sports, school, marching band - so I am the one who always has to be prepared. I have a string bag with flat pack duct tape and painters/masking tape, safety pins (assorted), small sewing kit, plastic bandaid carrier that has packets of antibiotic, assorted binder clips and some paper clips, post-it notes, assorted pens/markers/pencils, whiteout (band uniforms), some assorted HBA stuff (femine products, crystalized ginger, baby powder, hair ties, etc.), individual cracker packets (I never use crackers in my soup when I go out to eat any more -- have to 'save' them) a few pieces of hard candy, travel packs of assorted wet wipes, a few zip ties, small bungee cords, etc.

I tend to pare down to tape, post-its, a couple of ponytail holders/headbands and a pair of small sharpie markers for overseas travel. You never know when you'll need to do a McGyver somewhere!

I have been traveling with duct tape for years. I go to Ace Hardware an get the colored tape that comes in small roles. I use it to keep drawers closed and clothes hangers from sliding back and forth in rough seas. It does not leave a mess when removed.

Archived