All Things Glory...

kinggartk

I will start this one...I want to know all there is to know about Glory...I am booked for Eastern in May, and the days are pssing so slow!!!

Which itinerary is the best? Western or Eastern. I might book for Western sometime in the future.

We are sailing on the Glory in April - Western Caribbean - our second cruise on this ship and this itinerary.

What I love about this ship.....

- sitting on my balcony early in the morning sipping on a "foo foo" coffee from the Glory's version of Starbucks.

- sitting on the Lido deck sipping a "Kiss on the Lips".

- standing on the upper deck as we sail into a port and watching those on the smaller ships look up at us and point.

- sailing out of Port Canaveral - they definately have their act together, both embarkation and debarktion.

I could go on and on and on - but suffice it to say that I LOVE cruising in general and I LOVE cruising on the GLORY.

I sailed Glory in Sept. Here's a couple of FYI's:

The entire aft pool area is non-smoking. Good or bad depending on whether you smoke or not!

If you stay at a Cape Canaveral hotel pre-cruise, the hotels will tell you that you can't get to the port before 11am. So the hotels that have shuttles will not start loading before 11am. This is an absolute lie! I know of two hotels that lie about it.....Comfort Inn and Radisson.

If you stay at a Cape Canaveral hotel pre-cruise, the hotels will tell you that you can't get to the port before 11am. So the hotels that have shuttles will not start loading before 11am. This is an absolute lie! I know of two hotels that lie about it.....Comfort Inn and Radisson.

There's no point in going to the Glory before 11am, because passengers are still getting off the ship at 10:30. There was also no seating area that I saw, like at the Fort Lauderdale port so you can't sit and wait. We've never bothered to book a shuttle before noon.

We did eastern and western on Glory for our first and second cruises and they were totally different feelings from each other. We prefered eastern. The islands were very lush and green, nice towns to explore on foot and I like the mountainous look of the islands rising up out of the ocean. Mexico and Belize seemed very flat and brown in comparision until you went into the rainforests, but we did like the ports. Saw Costa Maya before it got destroyed, so it would be interesting to go back after it reopens to see the changes.

Which itinerary is the best?

Glory tied to the dock in Port Canaveral for 7days would be a great vacation. IMO, weather and seas better western, scenery better eastern. Port Canaveral is the BEST! Don't miss the chocolate buffet at lunch last sea day lido. Don't miss the French side of St. Maarten!!! If time allows, try and make it to St. John from St. Thomas. We did the 5 Star St. John Trunk Bay excursion aboard the Leylan Sneed, FANTASTIC! Anyone that doesn't LOVE this ship is hopelessly ill.

We went on the GLory in March of 2005 too and it seems to have gone through some changes since then. Is that true? The waterslide seems better and bigger. Any other changes?? OH.......We just decided AT The last minute to go Jan 14th. WOOHOOO! I can't wait! We sail RC often but I have to say I prefered the food on the Glory. The creme Brulee was to DIE for..... RC could not top that and the food in The Emerald Room surpassed that in the specialty restaurant RC too. We had excellent wait staff on The GLory. They catered to my kids but did it in a way that the other tables weren't bothered and my kids wanted to come to big kid supper.

We went on the eastern cruise 9-1-07, had an awesome time! The Glory was the first "big" Carnival ship we went on, all the previous were Fantasy class. The ship looked great, and it was easy to navigate, as it is similar to the older ships deck layout. The comics and magician were good, and the food (especially the supper club!) was also really good. We really enjoyed the ports. If you go eastern, dont miss the Paradise Point sky ride in St. Thomas. It's like $18, but the view is really cool! You can see the whole bay, and the ships at the pier. The restaurant at the top has some good drinks too.

Which itinerary is the best?

Glory tied to the dock in Port Canaveral for 7days would be a great vacation. IMO, weather and seas better western, scenery better eastern. Port Canaveral is the BEST! Don't miss the chocolate buffet at lunch last sea day lido. Don't miss the French side of St. Maarten!!! If time allows, try and make it to St. John from St. Thomas. We did the 5 Star St. John Trunk Bay excursion aboard the Leylan Sneed, FANTASTIC! Anyone that doesn't LOVE this ship is hopelessly ill.

You ROCK! I am going back to Port Canaveral WITHOUT A CRUISE! PC was the BOMB!!!

I sailed Glory in Sept. Here's a couple of FYI's:

The entire aft pool area is non-smoking. Good or bad depending on whether you smoke or not!

We were on this cruise with Mona (Hey!) and she's right. Book the 10:30 shuttle. They DO take you early!

I just got home from a back to back on the Glory Nov 3, Western, and Nov 10, Eastern, and both were wonderful itineraries. :D

Which was better -- well, that's a little like chosing between two children... they are different, but both great in their own ways. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think I enjoyed the Western itinerary more.

I hadn't been to Cozumel and loved exploring Chankanaab Park by myself -- took a taxi from the ship, and arrived before the crowds. Then a couple hours of shopping in the downtown area -- walking off the beaten path, to where the locals shop, as well as the tourist areas.

Belize was a dream come true -- several folks from my roll call and I arranged a private tour by boat 25 miles up the New River to the Mayan temples at Lamanai. We enjoyed the views from the boat -- just 9 of us on the tour (maximum of 10). They fed us a nice lunch when we got there then were our tour guides as we explored and climbed temples and took hundreds of pictures!

Roatan (Island off of Honduras) I fulfilled my dream to zip line, I mean really zip line! Again, private cab from the boat, to Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme Canopy Tour ($65 for the zip ticket) WAY up in the hills. Self-proclaimed highest, longest ziplines in Central America. Hundreds of feet up soaring through the trees...a quarter of a mile on the first line! (google them for pics) Just me and my guide -- a slice of heaven!

Freeport in the Bahamas -- nice day on a beautiful beach over at Port Lucaya. Absolutely beautiful weather, water and sand. Oh, those colors of blue....:D

Well, better post this, and then talk a little about the Western.... :)

I personally found the disembarking in Port Canaveral "in between cruises" annoying and unorganized, like they had never done it before. Granted, there were over 60 of us b2b-ing, a lot more than usual, I assumed. Just over an hour and I was back on board, in my same cabin... but none of us felt like it was handled well. (So have another foo foo drink! :) )

Nassau -- go to Atlantis on Paradise Island! I walked, but I strongly suggest a taxi. Spend the $32.00 to tour the aquariums. It's a cross between the best of Las Vegas and Walt Disney -- I loved it. Caught a $4.00 taxi ride, shared with others back to the ship from outside the Atlantis hotel -- turned out to be in a stretch limo. I still had plenty of time to watch a parade in old town and shop at the Straw Market, and so I had a great time in the much-maligned Nassau.

St. Thomas -- was getting tired by now; did a ship's tour around the island with a several hour stop at beautful Magen's Bay, then dropped off at Blackbeard's Castle, where you can walk down the steps into town for the "world class shopping." Very nice, but I had a better time last year booking a combo trip to Coral World and snuba-ing at Coki Beach. St. Thomas has something for everyone!

St. Maarten/Martin -- Delightful! My college French apparently is still functional -- on the ship sponsored circle island bus tour and catamaran ride from the Dutch side to the French city of Marigot, the people were very friendly, anxious to please, amazed that a tourist spoke French, and offered me their wares at the flea market, taking dollars at par with the Euro!!! Bought some great things that I hadn't seen anywhere else.

Oh, and did I mention that I never once set foot inside a Diamonds International?!?!?! :eek: "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Both itineraries were great. If you want better beaches, go Eastern. If you want more varied "cultural" experiences, go Western. Or, be a total Pig like me, and do both! :D

Hope that helps a little.... :)

Happy choosing, and happy cruising!!

There are 19 of us on a family jaunt. I have booked two large vans with Enterprise with no drop off fee BUT cannot get a decent price for the return back to Orlando. Enterprise exacts a high drop off fee from the Cape. We will spend the night at the airport Jan 11, drive to the Cape the 12th, tour the Space Center and arrive at the ship at 230 - sailing at 4. Is that enough time for embarking? This is my first time at Canaveral. I can tell you I had a nightmare time at Ft Lauderdale a year ago on MSC Lirica. Partly Lirica's fault but partly the port's. I thought we would never get off, customs was so slow. Thanks in advance for advice on transportation. Really looking forward to this Western Caribbean cruise, though would have liked to stop at Honduras. Alas....

I used them coming and going to Orlando airport. Unlimited miles, no drop off fee for going one way (airport to Cape Canaveral, and back again) great prompt shuttle to and from the boat to the rental office. And very reasonably priced... Hope it helpes you. :)

Archived