Taking food off for lunch?

debrycruise

I read in a post about someone ordering room service and then taking it for lunch in port. This was followed from some disagreement on whether this was allowed or not so I thought I'd start a new post on it. It's sounds like a great idea to save money on shore and also to not waste what we've paid for on the boat but I don't want to be arrested for doing it :eek:...

We'll be porting at Bermuda and Boston... thoughts?

It has nothing to do with whether or not it is "allowed" - it is ILLEGAL to bring many kinds of fresh foods into most countries. Fines can exceed $10,000 in some countries and you can be detained. You also risk causing massive damage to local agriculture if a foreign pest is introduced to the country from your food. Most countries allow prepackaged, factory sealed food items such as granola bars. Aside from items like that, do not bring food off the ship.

It has nothing to do with whether or not it is "allowed" - it is ILLEGAL to bring many kinds of fresh foods into most countries. Fines can exceed $10,000 in some countries and you can be detained. You also risk causing massive damage to local agriculture if a foreign pest is introduced to the country from your food. Most countries allow prepackaged, factory sealed food items such as granola bars. Aside from items like that, do not bring food off the ship.

You are absolutely correct. You'd be surprised how many people ignore these rules. Even after they become aware of them.

This also holds true for returning to the US from a foreign country.

Each country makes their own laws, so it is difficult to generalize. Most places prohibit carrying fresh fruit and veggies into their country. Some prohibit meats and many other foods. Most allow packaged foods. As mentioned above the fines can be significant. You can also lose much of your time in ports.

It was not a cruise, but at a US airport, waitiing for baggage and the food sniffing dog got excited about a woman near me. She was asked if she had any fruit, & she said no. The dog again checke and again reacted. She was asked to open her purse and there were two apples on top. She made excuses which did not impress the officer. Last I saw she was being led into an office.

If it's a pre-packages (sealed) food item, it's fine. You can't bring veggies, Not worth the trouble!

There are reasons for this rule...introducing non-indigenous pests is the main reason.

So, bring a sealed box of Cheerios, or chips....but don't make a sandwich and take it ashore. Food is available in every port....after all, folks LIVE and eat there!

I read in a post about someone ordering room service and then taking it for lunch in port. This was followed from some disagreement on whether this was allowed or not so I thought I'd start a new post on it. It's sounds like a great idea to save money on shore and also to not waste what we've paid for on the boat but I don't want to be arrested for doing it :eek:...

We'll be porting at Bermuda and Boston... thoughts?

My thought is that I'm surprised you think you'll get different answers on this thread than all of the past threads on this issue. :confused:

Please do not bring non-prepackaged food off the ship for lunch. Doing so risks ruining the agriculture of the island, because you could introduce pests that upsets the delicate balance of that particular area. This is why it is illegal and heavily fined in many areas.

Still, there will be people who try to do it anyway (and some who get away with it), because they feel that saving themselves a couple dollars is more important than saving the island for future generations. You can always go back onto the ship for lunch and head back to the island afterwards if you want to get your money's worth of onboard food.

Believe the stories! The least they will do when they pull you aside is confiscate all non prepackaged edibles (including sandwiches, salads, fruit, veggies, etc.) and give you a stern talking to. But they can detain and FINE you. I'd rather spend a few bucks onshore than pay thousands of dollars in fines. They are serious as a heart attack about this.

Another way of thinking about this is that trying the local food at your ports of call is a great way to take in the the culture. We like to try things we wouldn't normally be able to find at home. That's part of the fun of traveling :)

It does not apply to the OP's situation, but in Western Europe, I don't think there are restrictions (except for alcoholic drinks, and even then, in large quantities) about bringing food in most countries (at least in quantities fit for a lunch for a few people). I live in Switzerland and there is no problem with taking food from Switzerland into Italy, Germany or France (and the reverse).

You're going to be in Boston and want to take a sandwich off the ship for lunch? :eek: :D

With the fabulous food we have, I can't imagine not wanting to sample local favorites/specialties.

There are plenty of convenience stores if you just want a granola bar to save money and time and not bother with eating a real lunch.

Don't try taking food off in Boston..... the Officials are very diligent at Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, thankfully. They have a serious job to do.

Just spent the weekend in Boston and oh my Gosh the food is amazing!!!!

If I lived there, I'd be a million pounds!!

Thanks for the tip about europe...we're doing the eastern med iin May and going on two long hikes where we will need to pack a sandwich and I was wondering how to get around it.

ok, now I want some chowder.

Happy sailing everyone!

If you've ever seen someone detained because they didn't realize the severity of taking food, even a piece of fruit off at some of the island, I'm sure most here have seen it and have a story. We saw it happen in Jamaica of all places. They can get very serious and I would never risk getting detained. Go out in the morning, come back and eat lunch and return to the island or just eat on the island. Not worth the risk..truly.

If you are going on a Baltic cruise, these rules do not apply.

But only in the Baltic!!

Here the food in ports is also very expensive (compared to just about anywhere in the world).

If there are dogs in the terminal, they are only sniffing for drugs.

Even in the US it's completely illegal to bring fruits and vegetables into some states even coming in from other states! Florida, Hawaii, California for sure require you to declare any and all fruits, vegetables, plants, and other organic materials including soil and mulch, and it must be inspected by a state agriculture or APHIS inspector--not just a customs agent.

These incredibly destructive insects and diseases including glassy winged sharpshooters, med flies, and phylloxera--are all deadly to agriculture, and every single one of them except phylloxera was introduced into this country by careless people. Phylloxera is native to the US and was introduced to much of Europe by careless transportation of infected fruits, vegetables, root stock, and other organic materials. The effects of introducing these and other pests and diseases are devastating to the global agricultural industry and one single insect can cause billions in damage.

Do your part, follow the rules, they are there for a reason.

There have been times when our ship did not arrive at a port until 10 or 11 AM and our tour started shortly after we arrived. And the tours didn't end until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. There were no places to get any snacks.

Since DH has many medications to take several times a day -- he can not afford to miss his lunch time medications. So I do pack pre-packaged snack crackers in our back-pack along with our water.

There have been times when our ship did not arrive at a port until 10 or 11 AM and our tour started shortly after we arrived. And the tours didn't end until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. There were no places to get any snacks.

Since DH has many medications to take several times a day -- he can not afford to miss his lunch time medications. So I do pack pre-packaged snack crackers in our back-pack along with our water.

Smart planning. We always take a couple of packs of crackers in case we get hungry

If its a country that allows pre-packaged snack crackers then your good. If not.. they'll be confiscated and you can be fined. It's up to YOU to do your homework. If you were traveling to Australia.. this would be a big issue. I'm sure there are other countries as well.

Just because your DH has a medical condition.. it doesn't change the laws of that country.

I have diabetes.. I have to be careful of the rules in each country I visit.

Prepackaged food is fine, but do not bring anything else ashore. There is a video series on YouTube about Australian customs and they are very serious! It probably would be acceptable to bring food ashore if Boston is your first port of call, since the food on board would be from the United States and would not pose as an agricultural risk.

DH and I brought sandwiches off the ship in ST thomas, San Juan PR and Nassau bahamas - a crew member saw us eating in PR and asked where we got the sandwiches we were honest and told him we brought them off the ship all he said was "your really not supposed to do that" and walked off.

Archived