Churches in Huahine & Moorea

winnyd

On a Windstar cruise in 2004, we came into Huahine on Sunday. The Catholic Church is 5 minutes from the dock, but we walked along the road to the right of the port to reach the Protestant church. Church was open to the breezes and filled with locals and no tourists, except us, for Sunday service. Service was in native language, not French. No instruments (no organ, no piano, no guitar) were used - just the most beautiful acapelo singing I've ever heard. Singing would start in one location and a response came from another - but not necessarily from the whole congregation. Toward the end of the service, groups sitting together sang in tones I can only describe as sacred and tribal at the same time. I wept through most of the service because of the music and amazement that the Son of God, born in a stable in Bethlehem, got Himself all the way across the ocean to a remote atoll in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, to be worshipped by Polynesians and American tourists. It was one of the most memorable days of our 3 week stay in Tahiti. I would LOVE to be able to find that sacred singing on CD. Enjoy!

Thanks to Both your Posts & the great Info.The Party that is going with us contacted Princess & requested a Catholic service on board as it's Protestant they were told.We will certainaly check out the one 5 mins from the Ship.I experienced an Island service in the Cook Islands in 02 That has left a lasting impression.They had an interpreter & we were invited back to the Manse for lunch & conversation.

Archived