Which cruise lines offer the best child discounts

DrumenaghBrae

Hi! We are planning our first cruise. We are a family of three, and our son will be 4 years old. We are hoping to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise.

Some cruise lines seem to offer really good child rates, and other charge nearly the full price. I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks, Alison

Cruise lines don't generally give "child" discounts - you're looking for discounts on the 3rd passenger (price is the same whether it's a child or 3rd adult). The best thing to do is price out each cruise you're considering. A cruise line offering a 3rd passenger discount may still be more expensive overall. The lowest fares can usally be found by booking a date early or late in the season when older kids are in school.

Best,

Mia

MSC cruiseline is an italian cruiseline that does carribbean itineraries in the winter. Children sail free on that line (they only charge taxes and gratuities). Its a different experience/culture from the more traditional "american" lines. But the ships are big and absolutely beautiful elegent decor.

It really seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Last year I did a 7-night Princess cruise from Southampton for £99 each for passengers 3 and 4 and that was in a school holiday too. This year I have never seen prices that low.

It really seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Last year I did a 7-night Princess cruise from Southampton for £99 each for passengers 3 and 4 and that was in a school holiday too. This year I have never seen prices that low.

You can still get prices that low and luckily for us we have booked one! Mid August 8 nights Crown Princess from Southampton for £99 each for 3rd and 4th passengers.

I agree that the rates vary from cruise to cruise. Plus a sailing which has a good couples deal is often not the one to get the best 3rd passenger price. If there is a way to find a good deal without pricing up lots of cruises over a priod of time I have not found it!

By the way P&Os free Night Nursery is excellent and as far as I know is not available on other lines. Also HAL have been doing a £1 per child sale!

It seems to vary by ship within lines by quite a bit. I priced out 2 RCCL Baltics itineraries, both 12 nights. On Adventure of the Seas they wanted $409 to add my DD. On Legend of the Seas it was over $1,000. Both were ocean view rooms. I have no idea why.

As others said, it varies. In general, you are paying the 3rd and 4th passenger rate.

I have seen two exceptions to this. First, for cruised that don't sell well, cruise lines offer promotions, one of which is kids sail for free.

Second, Disney does offer a steep discount for children that are 2 and under. This won't help the OP, but we found that it was a great option for families with very young kids.

Thanks everyone.

We opted for Celebrity in the end. Child's rate was half of ours but we love the itinerary and are really looking forward to it! Booking early we also got on board credit and two classic drinks packages :)

Archived