Recent travelers, what has your airport security experience been like?

Lesinindy

I was looking at the news today and there seems to be much outcry about enhanced security measures at the airports. In trying to plan out our flight next month I wondered what fellow CCers have been going through lately. How do you feel about the naked scanners and the enhanced pat downs? Have you experienced delays or other problems.

My only problem the last two times I have flown this year are when my things start going thru the x-ray machine and before I get myself walking thru the security area someone cuts in front of me ... leaving my carry-on and purse coming out the other side without me there - does all this make sense? Anyway, I have been known to very loudly scream "someone watch my purse please!! I get very annoyed and one of these times a security officer is probably going to wrestle me to the ground! :eek:

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas last week. Since she has had knee replacement surgery she was subjected to an enhanced pat down search on both legs of the trip. This was a minor inconvience but took extra time just the same. I doubt that any of us know what is the correct level of security but for all of the well reported misses in the last year I feel we are only playing with fire and will be burned shortly.

Hubby has to have a "pat down" due to his pacemaker, leaving me to go thru the scanner on my own, with all our "stuff'...I wait until the person ahead of me is cleared, I put our stuff on the conveyor belt, and stand in front of the scanner, so no one else can go...and I don't go until my stuff stops popping back out the backside of the xray....if it holds up the line, so be it. I will NOT go thru until my things are cleared, since hubby isn't behind me to watch our things on the other side of the xray! I've been told to hurry, but I won't...sorry!

I was looking at the news today and there seems to be much outcry about enhanced security measures at the airports. In trying to plan out our flight next month I wondered what fellow CCers have been going through lately. How do you feel about the naked scanners and the enhanced pat downs? Have you experienced delays or other problems.

My feelings on the subject is they can do what ever they want to us as long as it keeps us safe. Yes it may be inconvenient, but I am alive and able to enjoy the rest of my trip without worring. Being originally from the East Coast and having lost some friends in 9/11, I am sure they would have wished the security measures were in place then. My wife also has a knee replacement and hip replacement and has to be hand patted down and does not mind it at all as long as they do it to everyone. We just leave time for it in our schedule. I had to go through one of those scanners when they were just testing them - haven't seen it on the internet yet so I guess I am OK.

Well.. I hate to say it but we actually canceled our air travel to FLL and Port Everglades due to what we experienced on our flight last week. We will make the 15 hour drive rather than risk the possibility that we will be subjected to what happened to us again. Some may malign our choice and say "this is just the price of air security today" but in the end, we are responsible for our child and we made this decision together as parents.

As to what happened. We were flying from Nashville to Orlando to go to Disney for my son's birthday. My son is 9 years old. Nashville has installed the new backscatter scanners, aka "naked" scanners. Now I am not a modest person and for me myself I don't care. To be honest, I had not given it much thought. We were given no option to opt out of the scans that I could see, no signage or instructions. I later found out you can opt out and choose the pat down instead. Well, we all three went through the machine. Husband and I were fine. They scanned the kid and then informed us they had to pat him down. I asked why, they said he moved. So I am thinking run of the mill pat down, wand over his body and light touch. He is 9 years old for the love of Pete but that was not the case. Had anyone but a physician doing a necessary medical exam touched my child in the places the TSA agent put his hands, I would have filed charges. He groped the inside of his legs and touched his genitals. He put his hands around my son's neck in a choking position, felt all the way down his chest area and his buttocks. He placed his hands inside my son's pants waist band and felt around his waist. The agent was loud and intimidating even for me, a 36 year old women. He barked at him to "hold up your pants" and "spread your legs, shoulder width." All I could think was my son looked like he was being frisked and how humiliating this was for him to be stared at by everyone as they passed by us. Now, this whole scenario was out in the open, we were not given the option of privacy. My son was scared and humiliated. I am not a momma hen or a wacko and we fly regularly and have never minded the security measures needed but this was a shocking experience. Shocking enough for us to forgo air travel (which we have always loved) until these new security rules change and come closer to something akin to reason.

And yes, we have contacted the authorities and other to complain about this situation. We also contacted the airline to tell them why we were cancelling and to let them know that these kinds of things will impact their business. To each his own and all are free to travel as they like but I am not convinced treating my child like a prison inmate progressed the cause of national security one iota.

My only problem the last two times I have flown this year are when my things start going thru the x-ray machine and before I get myself walking thru the security area someone cuts in front of me ... leaving my carry-on and purse coming out the other side without me there - does all this make sense? Anyway, I have been known to very loudly scream "someone watch my purse please!! I get very annoyed and one of these times a security officer is probably going to wrestle me to the ground! :eek:

I have had that happen a few times -- and it really frightens me that my purse is not near me.

Scanners and patdowns and carry-on restrictions don't make me feel safe - They make me feel annoyed, violated and nervous. If anything, this past week's episodes w/ the explosive packages and the failing engines on the Qantas A380 should remind us that there's no such thing as complete safety.

The things I do nowadays to make myself feel somewhat more comfortable during air travel is to book First Class if at all possible - both for inflight comfort & service but also for the short security lines and the luggage allowance - dress well so I won't be harassed in security (Yes, how you dress does affect how people treat you) check all the luggage (fees be damned) and allow time for a drink in the airport bar.

Well.. I hate to say it but we actually canceled our air travel to FLL and Port Everglades due to what we experienced on our flight last week. We will make the 15 hour drive rather than risk the possibility that we will be subjected to what happened to us again. Some may malign our choice and say "this is just the price of air security today" but in the end, we are responsible for our child and we made this decision together as parents.

As to what happened. We were flying from Nashville to Orlando to go to Disney for my son's birthday. My son is 9 years old. Nashville has installed the new backscatter scanners, aka "naked" scanners. Now I am not a modest person and for me myself I don't care. To be honest, I had not given it much thought. We were given no option to opt out of the scans that I could see, no signage or instructions. I later found out you can opt out and choose the pat down instead. Well, we all three went through the machine. Husband and I were fine. They scanned the kid and then informed us they had to pat him down. I asked why, they said he moved. So I am thinking run of the mill pat down, wand over his body and light touch. He is 9 years old for the love of Pete but that was not the case. Had anyone but a physician doing a necessary medical exam touched my child in the places the TSA agent put his hands, I would have filed charges. He groped the inside of his legs and touched his genitals. He put his hands around my son's neck in a choking position, felt all the way down his chest area and his buttocks. He placed his hands inside my son's pants waist band and felt around his waist. The agent was loud and intimidating even for me, a 36 year old women. He barked at him to "hold up your pants" and "spread your legs, shoulder width." All I could think was my son looked like he was being frisked and how humiliating this was for him to be stared at by everyone as they passed by us. Now, this whole scenario was out in the open, we were not given the option of privacy. My son was scared and humiliated. I am not a momma hen or a wacko and we fly regularly and have never minded the security measures needed but this was a shocking experience. Shocking enough for us to forgo air travel (which we have always loved) until these new security rules change and come closer to something akin to reason.

And yes, we have contacted the authorities and other to complain about this situation. We also contacted the airline to tell them why we were cancelling and to let them know that these kinds of things will impact their business. To each his own and all are free to travel as they like but I am not convinced treating my child like a prison inmate progressed the cause of national security one iota.

Oh my gosh!!

How horrible for your son and both of you.

I am glad that you contacted the authorities.

I had seen a similar experience online today, but it was from a really conservative site and I wondered how truthful the original report I saw was. Your experience is almost exactly what was reported. I am all for security and also I was a firefighter when 9/11 happened (still mad), but somehow I recall there is something called a 4th amendment to the constitution.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

We were supposed to have had these new scanners in Pittsburgh the 1st of October -- so we did not experience them -- but they are there now as of November 1.

As for returning home from Tampa -- yes they had them. The lines were long. You step into the machine -- place your feet on the indicated foot patterens -- spread your arms -- hold still while the machine makes a rotation. then step out when told to do so. Everything was fine with me. But the machine picked up a thick object and DH was asked to remove his wallet so that the TSA agent could examine it -- and he did check it over carefully. The agent actually said that many men object to this -- DH said that it was not a problem.

All this takes a couple of minutes -- thus the longer lines to go through security.

This would have made me furious too - Only difference between us is that you'd have heard about me being hauled out of that airport in a straightjacket on the CBS Evening News. How do we know that the TSA inspector isn't some sort of pedophile/sex offender???

Complaining to the Airline isn't the answer: You need to write a sternly-worded letter to our President and your US Congressmen and Senators.

My feelings on the subject is they can do what ever they want to us as long as it keeps us safe.

That's exactly what they want you to believe - But it's not worth the price.

Fat Cat, I'm so sorry to hear that happened to your son. I have two 9 year old grandsons so I can relate to how he must have felt. Complaining to the authorities was a good action, but unfortunately it won't help your son forget what happened. Wise idea to drive to the airport.

My feelings on the subject is they can do what ever they want to us as long as it keeps us safe. Yes it may be inconvenient, but I am alive and able to enjoy the rest of my trip without worring. Being originally from the East Coast and having lost some friends in 9/11, I am sure they would have wished the security measures were in place then. My wife also has a knee replacement and hip replacement and has to be hand patted down and does not mind it at all as long as they do it to everyone. We just leave time for it in our schedule. I had to go through one of those scanners when they were just testing them - haven't seen it on the internet yet so I guess I am OK.

If you think we're being kept safe think again!

Air pax go through this agravation while thousands stroll across our southern border and no one even asks their name!

What a farce!

I had seen a similar experience online today, but it was from a really conservative site and I wondered how truthful the original report I saw was. Your experience is almost exactly what was reported. I am all for security and also I was a firefighter when 9/11 happened (still mad), but somehow I recall there is something called a 4th amendment to the constitution.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Yep.. I can safely say it took us totally by surprise. Not until I started looking up this new "pat down" procedure did I discover that they should have given us the option of a male or female screener, privacy, and an explanation of EXACTLY what they were going to do and where their hands were going to go. But again, I just had not given it much thought since we have flown as a family at least a couple times a year since kiddo was 2 years old and never felt in anyway inconvenienced by security even when he was a wee one and we had to travel with our whole house in tow it seemed :p

And we had no idea they had just instituted these new pat down rules. It was an eye opening experience and after I started mulling round in my head I was just astounded they thought putting full on hands on private areas would be acceptable.

Southwest was good about it though and happy we called to let them know about our experience. We have a pretty huge credit with them now... and I don't know if we will ever be able to use it lest these regulations change. :( But I will eat the loss not to have to do that again.

This would have made me furious too - Only difference between us is that you'd have heard about me being hauled out of that airport in a straightjacket on the CBS Evening News. How do we know that the TSA inspector isn't some sort of pedophile/sex offender???

Complaining to the Airline isn't the answer: You need to write a sternly-worded letter to our President and your US Congressmen and Senators.

That's exactly what they want you to believe - But it's not worth the price.

The letters are being written, no worries. Started them in my head this weekend as I fumed. I don't know if complaining to anyone will do any good in the end but I figure the more folks know, the more likely something will change. Or at least I hope that.

For OP, in the past five days I flew from Seattle and San Francisco airports. I was prepared for the worst and have the easiest screening experiences ever, even compared to pre-9/11 flights. Why I do not know, but they were a breeze.

I arrived at the Seattle airport at 8:00 am and there were two people ahead of me in the security screening line. Very uneventful, but there was on interesting situation. I was wearing a sling and they did test it for explosive residue, none present.

At about 2:00 PM on Sunday went through Security at San Francisco, NO ONE in line. Breezed through. (I had my sling in my pocket for a few minutes.)

I could not believe how quick and easy security was for this trip, no so on many of my adventures.

What a shame you son had to be the one to experience this. I was expecting to have this experience as well, but the new scanners at Seattle were at different security locations. The new networks have been covering this change quite well and at least one showed the extent to the pat-downs, or as they called them - grope downs. I was expecting to have this "lovely" experience as I cannot lift the arm in the sling out to the side or above my head, a requirement. However, I was spared the experience.

... They scanned the kid and then informed us they had to pat him down. I asked why, they said he moved.

I'm thinking oh my gosh ... if your 9-yr. old "moved" what are they going to do with my 4-yr. old GD who never stops moving? Will she be subjected to this? She and my DD fly all the time. IMO they need to come up with something better for "kids" soon.

Mine was not too bad a few weeks ago. I think they have put in some new regulations as of 11/10/10 and so now your ticket name must be exactly as it is on your picture ID
Really? My DL spells out my middle name but on my ticket it's abbreviated. Guess I need to go look at TSA's website. Thanks for posting this!

I had the Pat Down occur on me on 10/18/2010 returning to the states. It was in Barcelona's airport. It was about 6am, and for some reason, I went through the xray and it beeped once. They pulled me aside and told me to spread and began. They did front and back. I thought they were going to wand me but..no, a bit more thorough. They use two fingers I believe. I did at least have a same sex examiner.

I didn't find it terribly inconvenient, though I really don't know what on me set off the xray as I'd worn the exact same outfit when I was checked in barcelona on 10/6.

RantAlert.jpg

I’m all for real security measures that actually (materially) prevent the bad guys from hurting innocent people. But if a lethal amount of explosive can be concealed within the body (not detectible by these machines) and the metal detectors already detect guns, how does making grandma and kids porn stars make us safer? I worry these “porno machines” do nothing but give the public / officials a false sense of security and serve to humiliate the already beleaguered traveler. And it would be one thing if there were physicians monitoring the images. But as we know, the reality is far from that.

Perhaps we should all take a moment from time to time to consider what constitutes the “terrorists winning.”

fatcat04, I’m so sorry this happened to your family. That would be enough to make me drive 15 hours too.

OP, we just flew Southwest out of FLL and everything went smoothly. No delays, no naked scanners, no pat-downs, friendly and efficient air crews and TSA.

We were returning from a Walt Disney World vacation in Orlando and our 9-year old grandson was patted down. I was furious but you have to pretend like everything is fine, right, because you're too scared you might be pulled aside if you say anything. Also, I wear a neck scarf to keep my neck warm as I get severe muscle spasms from the cold air in the airplanes and I had to remove the scarf and security felt the scarf up and down for what exactly? I have not been on a plane since and really do not look forward to flying anymore. I find going through airport security very stressful.

Returning from Europe through Heathrow my 77-year old mom was patted down for no reason. No beepers going off or anything, they just took her aside randomly and had her spread-eagle for a pat down. What was odd was this was getting off the plane!!! What's the point of patting down senior citizens after the plane has landed?

In answer to the OP's question, we just flew 10 days ago... from IND, (which I'm guessing is your airport) to Florida. Same as always, no big deal. My DH had knee repalcements (both knees) 2 years ago. We fly A LOT. I take the carry-ons while he goes through the more thorough scanning. I do wait until I see all our bags going through without being backed up, but I don't mind at all if someone else goes around me to go through...I simply step aside until I'm ready to go through. (Is that really difficult to let others go ahead?) I think the whole process would be simpler if people didn't make a big deal out of it. We are ones who never arrived at the airport very early, but we've adjusted and allow a little extra time now.

Archived