Hijack a ship?

This freaks me out. I would hope that Carnival ships are equipped with more security/safety precautions with the number of individuals on a ship.

More than you would ever know ;)

I would think a few armed with some steak house knives wouldnt due much damage. On a ship there are 1000s places to hide and once word gets out of executions something would be done to take back the ship. To herd 3000 people at once does not seem possible. I think after 9/11 people are more aware and willing to take charge. .

I would think a few armed with some steak house knives wouldnt due much damage. On a ship there are 1000s places to hide and once word gets out of executions something would be done to take back the ship. To herd 3000 people at once does not seem possible. I think after 9/11 people are more aware and willing to take charge. .

The way the article reads, I wouldn't think that some knives would be their plan. With a plane, it's a closed tube in the air...no way on once in transit. So getting weapons on board aplane is relatively hard. With the cruise ship, they could easily board anytime with a helicopter, or a boat with the right gear. They would come packing real arms and probably have operatives already on board as passengers or crew to help them get on board smoothly. They could also just charge up the passenger ramp and seize the boat fully armed at one of the ports of call. I don't exactly see armed guards packed around the terminals in the Bahamas or Key West. They would have no need to capture all of the pasengers, just a few hundred people and a few key areas of the ship. With no desire to get out of the mission intact, taking over a ship would not be that hard with some decent firepower and a good number of people.:(

The way the article reads, I wouldn't think that some knives would be their plan. With a plane, it's a closed tube in the air...no way on once in transit. So getting weapons on board aplane is relatively hard. With the cruise ship, they could easily board anytime with a helicopter, or a boat with the right gear. They would come packing real arms and probably have operatives already on board as passengers or crew to help them get on board smoothly. They could also just charge up the passenger ramp and seize the boat fully armed at one of the ports of call. I don't exactly see armed guards packed around the terminals in the Bahamas or Key West. They would have no need to capture all of the pasengers, just a few hundred people and a few key areas of the ship. With no desire to get out of the mission intact, taking over a ship would not be that hard with some decent firepower and a good number of people.:(

Looks like you've got the basis for a movie script.

Don't underestimate the security aboard ships these days.

What we don't know is just fine but it isn't as though cruise lines have not prepared for many scenarios.

A ferry would be a much easier target than a cruise ship, especially an internal ferry with no border security/passport or RCI booze-police.

And no chair-hogs to over-power, Dave ;)

JB :)

Well if they attempt this with one cruiseline the captain can just run the ship aground and sink it. That would completely foil the terrorist's plans.

Seriously though, the cruiselines more than likely have more security measures in place that we do not see or know about to deal with the potential threats from terrorist's or pirates. Also more than likely a handfull of terrorist versus thousands of passengers on a modern cruiseship would be a bad decision in light of what the passengers on United Flt. 93 did. I think people are more prone to fight back now if in this type of situation were it to occur.

They won't get to do the planes again. The word is out. They bought up most of the tickets so the planes would be releatively empty, leaving a few incredulous passengers to overcome. There are tripwires to red-flag the scenario now.

They're not gonna get to overpower 3500 people on a ship. There will be a few people who will react.

As a former crew member, I can tell you that the bridge of a ship is extremely secure. To gain access to the bridge, you must first pass through a heavy locked door accessible by key cards held by only several high ranking crew members and bridge officers. The door has several cameras focused on it as well as a camera on the door in lieu of a peephole. Through that door there are just a bunch of offices and the cabins of the senior officers. To get to the actual bridge there is a second door that even fewer people have access to.

All that to say that if the bridge were ever actually compromised, the controls can all be overridden by the engine control room as the ship can be controlled from there as well.

Seems like a handful compared to the door to cockpit.

As a former crew member, I can tell you that the bridge of a ship is extremely secure. To gain access to the bridge, you must first pass through a heavy locked door accessible by key cards held by only several high ranking crew members and bridge officers. The door has several cameras focused on it as well as a camera on the door in lieu of a peephole. Through that door there are just a bunch of offices and the cabins of the senior officers. To get to the actual bridge there is a second door that even fewer people have access to.

All that to say that if the bridge were ever actually compromised, the controls can all be overridden by the engine control room as the ship can be controlled from there as well.

Seems like a handful compared to the door to cockpit.

Remember Maersk Alabama?

That was when I first learned the engine room can run the ship. I never had any idea that could be done. I always thought only from the bridge. I also learned many ( most ?) Chief Engineers have Master's License.

Remote operation is not new....anyone who has toured the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach has seen the 'emergency steering station' aft, to be used if the bridge was incapacitated. 1936 (or earlier) technology....:)

The possibilities can be scary if one dwells upon it ... We are more likely to die in automobile crashes than through a terrorist attack on a cruise ship or airplane yet none of us think twice about stepping into a car ... I choose to enjoy my life and not be ruled by fear (which is the terrorists ultimate goal) ...

Archived