Should we book a tour operater for our day in St. Thomas?

JPCARDS

Our party of 6 will be in St.Thomas on Allure in June. Originally had booked Rumbaba but cancelled because our time in port is relatively short ( 9-5). At this point, our plans are to head to a beach, Sapphire or Secret Harbour, but it might be nice to stop one or two scenic points for views and pictures. Should we just grab a taxi for $20/pp round trip or should I consider a tour operator which might be slightly more costly but could stop at a few scenic points. Any advice on this and suggestions on tour operators would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi...I just finished my 1st ever cruise on the Allure. What a wonderful experience and a beautiful ship. I'm still blown away! I got off the ship in St. Thomas with a few friends who were in to the shopping scene (really not my thing). We took a taxi from the dock to the downtown area ($4 each). I hung with them for a little while then ventured out on my own in the downtown area. Near the waterfront (where all the taxi's park), I ran into a guy named Luen who asked if I wanted to go on a tour of St. Thomas. I was leery at first but he had already signed up about 15 people and was leaving at noon so I decided to join that tour. It was $25. I am so grateful that I did this and I got to see so much of the island that I would not have seen otherwise. He stopped at several locations for scenic photos and even goes all the way up to Mountain Top (overlooking Magen's Bay). This is the highest point on St. Thomas and the views are spectacular! It is my understanding not all of the tour operators go to up to Mountain Top. We also dropped some people off at Sapphire Beach (and spent a few minutes there taking photos). Luen brought us back to the ship around 3 PM then went to pick up the people he had dropped off at Sapphire Beach. I also think you can arrange to have him pick you up at the ship.

Luen told me he has lived on St. Thomas most of his life. He said he's been a firefighter for about 20 years now and a tour operator for about 11 years. His tour was informative, professional, and fun. VERY friendly guy! I really enjoyed my time with him and learning more about his beautiful island.

Here's the info from his business card:

Luen's Island Tours, Luen Anthony, PO BOX 302494, St. Thomas VI 00803

Home: (340) 777-5331, Cell: (340) 690-5215

Email: yellofevah@yahoo.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Luens-Tours/111647805541835

I posted a photo of Luen and his bright yellow taxi on his Facebook account. It was the only yellow open-air taxi I saw parked with all the other taxi's at the waterfront.

Hope this helps! Kathy

our party of 6 will be in st.thomas on allure in june. Originally had booked rumbaba but cancelled because our time in port is relatively short ( 9-5). At this point, our plans are to head to a beach, sapphire or secret harbour, but it might be nice to stop one or two scenic points for views and pictures. Should we just grab a taxi for $20/pp round trip or should i consider a tour operator which might be slightly more costly but could stop at a few scenic points. Any advice on this and suggestions on tour operators would be appreciated. Thanks!

i am sure any taxi driver you would hire would be more than happy to stop at a few scenic spots, there are six of you so you would take up most if not all of the cab anyway . Two awesome beach selections and just the drive to them will be scenic.... Enjoy, i just spent 3 weeks there :)

i absolutely LOVE Luen!!! He's the best tour guide in all of St Thomas. We are heading there next week and I had emailed him a month ago and ask him to take us shopping and to Coki. Everything with Luen is "NO PROBLEM". He's the best. I've toured with him 3 or 4 times. He's more of a friend now than a tourguide!!!

Susan

Hi...I just finished my 1st ever cruise on the Allure. What a wonderful experience and a beautiful ship. I'm still blown away! I got off the ship in St. Thomas with a few friends who were in to the shopping scene (really not my thing). We took a taxi from the dock to the downtown area ($4 each). I hung with them for a little while then ventured out on my own in the downtown area. Near the waterfront (where all the taxi's park), I ran into a guy named Luen who asked if I wanted to go on a tour of St. Thomas. I was leery at first but he had already signed up about 15 people and was leaving at noon so I decided to join that tour. It was $25. I am so grateful that I did this and I got to see so much of the island that I would not have seen otherwise. He stopped at several locations for scenic photos and even goes all the way up to Mountain Top (overlooking Magen's Bay). This is the highest point on St. Thomas and the views are spectacular! It is my understanding not all of the tour operators go to up to Mountain Top. We also dropped some people off at Sapphire Beach (and spent a few minutes there taking photos). Luen brought us back to the ship around 3 PM then went to pick up the people he had dropped off at Sapphire Beach. I also think you can arrange to have him pick you up at the ship.

Luen told me he has lived on St. Thomas most of his life. He said he's been a firefighter for about 20 years now and a tour operator for about 11 years. His tour was informative, professional, and fun. VERY friendly guy! I really enjoyed my time with him and learning more about his beautiful island.

Here's the info from his business card:

Luen's Island Tours, Luen Anthony, PO BOX 302494, St. Thomas VI 00803

Home: (340) 777-5331, Cell: (340) 690-5215

Email: yellofevah@yahoo.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Luens-Tours/111647805541835

I posted a photo of Luen and his bright yellow taxi on his Facebook account. It was the only yellow open-air taxi I saw parked with all the other taxi's at the waterfront.

Hope this helps! Kathy

Archived