NO Mazatlan on the Wonder

misand

Hey you're right! My itinerary changed on my cruise (leaving in 2 days). Kind of weird...I was sort of looking forward to going to Stone Island.

I wonder why they did this? Hmmm...oh well, I'll roll with it.

I'm assuming that everyone who booked excursions via Disney will get refunds but the people who booked them on their own might be a bit unhappy here.

Cabo is a fun place but actually one of my least favorite ports in Mexico. It's just too small and not much to do.

RVD.

Hey you're right! My itinerary changed on my cruise (leaving in 2 days). Kind of weird...I was sort of looking forward to going to Stone Island.

I wonder why they did this? Hmmm...oh well, I'll roll with it.

I'm assuming that everyone who booked excursions via Disney will get refunds but the people who booked them on their own might be a bit unhappy here.

Cabo is a fun place but actually one of my least favorite ports in Mexico. It's just too small and not much to do.

RVD.

I'm feeling the same way. We were really looking forward to Molokays on Stone Island and now have to find something to do in Cabo, our least favorite port. We're gonna roll with it.

Personally I enjoy Cabo a whole lot more than Mazatlan, so this change wouldn't bother me in the least. If I had never cruised the Mexican riviera, it might bother me more. Then again, Disney has a core value of providing safe family entertainment, so the benefits of skipping a port where a tourist has been killed in drug-related violence probably overcome the drawbacks...

We are doing the Disney Mexican Riviera Cruise on March 27. This is our first cruise, and we are a family of 4 (girls 5, 7). Any advise on the cruise ship itself....things to do and see...tips, as well as any excursions we must do. I am tempted to not book excursions with Disney, cause we'd rather find a beach or beach club and just chill...advise? Many many thanks to those who have gone before me :)

Mazatlan was removed from the port list due to safety concerns.

I would assume that it is safety. A Canadian tourist was shot in the leg this week when he got caught in the middle of a gang related shooting.

I am shocked at this!! I go to Mazatlan just about every year and I have walked the streets day and night. I have never ever been nervous, or afraid. Mazatlan is way safer than Cabo ever thought about being.

Also, lets be honest here. The wonder leaves out of Los Angeles! Gang activity and killings happen so often there, they don't even report it anymore!! It's not safe to walk the steets most places in LA!

RVD.

Where are you seeing your intenary changed? We're on the same sailing as you, sitting at the Doubletree waiting for tomorrow, and this is all news to us. I logged in at Disney's website and my itenary still shows Mazatlan.

We booked a zipline in Puerto Vallarta, not through Disney, and I'm trying to figure out if the ship will still be there on Wednesday. Does anybody know. Very confused here. :(

For a fun excursion in Cabo if you have older kids (say 8 and up) check out Cabosails.com. I Just got back from a 7night Mariner of the Seas cruise and booked a private sailing tour through them and have absolutely nothing but wonderful wonderful things to say about them.

I'd use them again in a heartbeat if we end up doing the Wonder while she's still in Mexico (currently booked on the Dream in Oct).

A couple of years ago, I cruised to Mexico, including Mazatlan. As soon as I got mack into cell range, I got a bunch of texts and messages from people wondering if we were OK. The day after we left, there was a big gang shootout in the downtown area. I understand why there were so many Federales with M-16s hanging around in town.

The drug gang violence problem may also explain why Carnival just pulled the Spirit out of the market in favor of Australia. While the vast majority of the drug violence is along the Mexico/US border, people hear "drug gangs....Mexico...shooting" and opt to vacation in places other than Mexico.

Where are you seeing your intenary changed? We're on the same sailing as you, sitting at the Doubletree waiting for tomorrow, and this is all news to us. I logged in at Disney's website and my itenary still shows Mazatlan.

We booked a zipline in Puerto Vallarta, not through Disney, and I'm trying to figure out if the ship will still be there on Wednesday. Does anybody know. Very confused here. :(

Hopefully you figured it out by now but you need to log on, go to your reservation and click on "My Cruise Plans." It should list Wednesday as PV and both Th and Fri as Cabo.

I am shocked at this!! I go to Mazatlan just about every year and I have walked the streets day and night. I have never ever been nervous, or afraid. Mazatlan is way safer than Cabo ever thought about being.

Also, lets be honest here. The wonder leaves out of Los Angeles! Gang activity and killings happen so often there, they don't even report it anymore!! It's not safe to walk the steets most places in LA!

I do feel badly for the people of Mazatlan, but the situation is darker than most of us know...the Sinaloan cartel has caused a good deal of concern so much so that local health clinics in certain villages are closing...and referring all patients down to Mazatlan...Sinaloa is the state that Mazatlan is in.

On Los Angeles, another reason why our family would never choose to spend our family vacation there...the difference with gang activity in LA is that it's cops v. gangs the majority of the time..in Mexico, you're never sure whether the cops are part of the gangs...just not a good mix.

I'm actually excited to be in Cabo twice, more opportunity to get to know a place better than just 4-6 hours in a place..

I'm at the double tree too! I have confirmed this change with Disney and unfortunately it's true, no Mazatlan for this cruise and rumor has it they might pull away from future MR cruises :-( three carnival, royal and Norwegian already stated they're pulling out their ships to MR all together.

I'm at the double tree too! I have confirmed this change with Disney and unfortunately it's true, no Mazatlan for this cruise and rumor has it they might pull away from future MR cruises :-( three carnival, royal and Norwegian already stated they're pulling out their ships to MR all together.

Where did you hear that rumor?

I'm glad you've had nice experiences in Mazatlan. But what is your basis for saying that it is "way safer than Cabo"?

Also, your comment on L.A. is such ridiculous hyperbole it's hard to even comment on it.

I thought the same thing! Have they checked where they are sailing out of? Really bummed that we do not get to go to stone island. We always like to do a all inclusive and am having trouble finding anything in Cabo!

I feel quite safe walking on most streets in Los Angeles. I might feel unsafe going into a grocery store in Arizona however.

I feel quite safe walking on most streets in Los Angeles. I might feel unsafe going into a grocery store in Arizona however.

Most streets in LA like Valencia or most streets in LA like Compton or Inglewood?

OK, I'll bite, why Arizona?

Arizona is where that congresswoman got shot.

The greater Los Angeles area is such a spread out, sprawling area that making a blanket statement about safety there is absurd at best. Within most of the city limits of LA, there are no safety concerns. Keep in mind that crime is generally specific to localized areas, places that the average tourist wouldn't go walking or driving into.

And for the record: Compton is not Los Angeles. It's in LA County, but it's a completely separate city, as are East LA, Velencia, Inglewood, and Beverly Hills amongst 100 others.

Also, it would be impossible to have a cruise ship leave out of Los Angeles, it's 15 miles from the ocean. Let's get our facts straight before making crazy accusations.

Archived