New York City Hotels in April?

AdventureList

Hello,

We are planning to take a 9 day cruise on the NCL Gem and are now thinking about spending an additional two days in New York City to do some site seeing. Is it possible to find a clean, decent hotel for $150 a night anywhere? I am looking for the nights of April 18 and 19 and do not need anything fancy. Does this exist in New York City? Thanks for your help!

You are looking for weekday nights, so prices will tend to be higher. However, I am seeing a 3* Downtown/Soho hotel with a 90% approval rating on Hotwire for $132 plus tax. This could be the Holiday Inn on Nassau St, which would be located in the heart of Wall St ( safe quiet area) with excellent accessibility to the World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, South Street Seaport, as well as subways to all parts of midtown Manhattan. This would be a really good deal on your limited budget.

If you're serious about this, make a decision and book now because the offer is sure to disappear.

Is that $150 including taxes (which add about 15%)? That's low.

It is often recommended to stay in Long Island City, Queens, which is only a short subway ride from Manhattan. Some people have liked the Country Inn & Suites. We haven't stayed at that property, but do like that chain.

We've had good luck using Priceline (read betterbidding and biddingfortravel first) for Manhattan hotels.

138East usually uses it, and I have used it for the past five years with great success. They give you daily rates and the geographic location of the hotel with whatever amenties it offers. Then when you book with your credit card, the identity of the hotel is revealed. Take 138East's advice and get the hotel in the Wall Street area, although the Algounin hotel in Times Square is convenient to more restaurants and night life. Also, if you are going to Ground Zero, you need to get advanced tickets through a website.

Is Ink 48 close to pier 88 ? Is $179 a fair price ? is there a car rental close to the NCL ships .

Ink 48 is located at 48th St. and 11th Ave. Pier 88 is at 48th St and 12th Ave. You couldn't get any closer to the pier.

It's a trendy boutique hotel that generally gets very good reviews. $179 is a very fair price in NY City for a hotel of this quality. The only negative is that the neighborhood is a little rough and tumble...a bit off the usual tourist path.

I suggest reading about Ink 48 on oyster.com:

http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/ink48/

As you know, I answered your car rental question on the other thread.

Is Ink 48 close to pier 88 ? Is $179 a fair price ? is there a car rental close to the NCL ships .

I see that you live near me in Mass and are asking questions about NY hotels and car rentals. What is your overall plan for sailing out of NYC?

I see that you live near me in Mass and are asking questions about NY hotels and car rentals. What is your overall plan for sailing out of NYC?

My plan was last minute under 2 k getaway cruise this Sat on NCL Gem 9 day . Inside gtd. 1437.58 ins. $116 DSC $216 hotel night before cruise on Sniqueaway $179 plus tax . One way car rental killed it . Hertz was $115 boston to N.Y. $149 to return plus gas. Hertz could not tell me where where their lot is in relation to the cruise port said it was near Battery park. I can't get off the ship with bags and wife in tow not knowing . I was hoping for a shuttle to the cars but no luck so far.

Ink 48 is located at 48th St. and 11th Ave. Pier 88 is at 48th St and 12th Ave. You couldn't get any closer to the pier.

It's a trendy boutique hotel that generally gets very good reviews. $179 is a very fair price in NY City for a hotel of this quality. The only negative is that the neighborhood is a little rough and tumble...a bit off the usual tourist path.

I suggest reading about Ink 48 on oyster.com:

http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/ink48/

As you know, I answered your car rental question on the other thread.

Thank You.

Many users have positive reviews of Ink 48, but one cautions that you should get a higher floor room as he was getting a lot of car and truck noise in his third floor room. You are a couple of long city blocks from Ninth Avenue, where there are a host of good, reasonably priced restaurants and from Eighth Avenue, where the subway is located. The hotel's immediate area is kind of desolate at night. Eighth and Seventh Avenues host a lot of pedestarian traffic, and those Avenues have a good number of much higher priced restaurants, that can be described as "tourist traps". Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
If you use the trick I describe here and using mybowlingvacation.com as your comparison site, you can get the Algonquin for $163.24, which is a very good price for this hotel and location.

Yesterday I booked the Algonquin through Marriott.com. Later in the day I did find room available for significantly less (approx $75) on another site. I did file a Look No Further form and was very pleasantly surprised to see an email from Marriott this morning which reduced my rate to 25% lower than the new rate I had found ...the result is that I am now staying at the Algonquin for almost half the original price. With the high tax rate in NYC this has also cut the taxes. Thanks Twickenham... I am looking forward to our pre-cruise stay.

Archived