Carnival says they dont recommend excursion I booked

Bilu444

I am traveling with 3 ladies that have mobility problems. They cannot walk for long distances. I have emailed the guest solutions department ay Carnival and they are being very helpful. Problem is, I am having alot of trouble with our stop in Nassau. I booked us all on the Discover Nassau and Beach excursion. I have done it myself and thought it would be ok. We rode a bus around Nassau and then we at a beach for a few hours. Figured the ones of us that are not disabled could help them walk to loungers. I know the bus probably will not have room for the 3 foldable walkers (rollators with seats) but I was hoping there was some sort of transportation down the long pier in Nassau. Then they would only have to worry about getting on and off the bus.

However, Carnival said they do not recommend this excursion for anyone with any kind of disability. They also said there is no transportation from the boat down the pier.

Anyone have any suggestions on what we can do? These ladies have never been out of the US and really want to get off the boeat in Nassau. If there is no help getting down the pier, they would have to use their walkers and then we wouild need to be able to fold them and put them somewhere in whatever vehicle we used for whatever excursion.

I am at a loss as to what we will be able to do for them but I really want them to have a great time and be able to get off the boat.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

My DD is a paraplegic and my mother is a cane user. There is no transportation from the boat down their pier. If you were able to find a handicapped van for sightseeing, it probably wont hold 3 rollators.

Nassau is also not the most handicapped accessible. The streets are fairly rutted and the curb cuts are not always there. Most stores have a stair up into the shop as well.

It sounds like you will do fine if you can get to where you are getting.

Try googling handicapped nassau. I found a vendor that way for St thomas. Good luck. and if by chance you cant do this excursion, there is a very nice little souvenir spot as soon as you are off the pier. And if it makes them feel better, nassau is not that exciting. My friend from there calls it the 'arm pit' of the caribbean.

We cruise there in April and I just plan on going to the straw market.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

My husband is disabled but can walk for short distances. We are renting a power scooter for our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Allure in May. We are using two priviate complanies for excursions in Nassau and St. Thomas:

St. Thomas:

EEE Tours: contact Henry Christopher , email henrychristopher_eeetours@yahoo.com He has vans with lift and is very accomodating to taking you wherever you wish to go.Website on line also

Nassau:

Courteous Transfers and Tours Email courteoustaxibahamas@hotmail.com

Contact is Gerard Lewis.

Very pleasant and accomodating. Vehicles with lifts

web: courteoustaxibahamas.com

We are taking a ships excursion on St. Maarten but since it does not have much walking for my husband we can manage it. I don't know of any private company on St. Maarten.

Good luck

We were in Nassau in early April on the Carnival Fantasy. I use a travelscoot scooter and was traveling with family. There were 5 of us but I am the only disabled one. The pier is long. I was glad I had the scooter. It wasn't just how long the pier was but there were many other ships in port and the crowds were impressive. We went to the taxi stand and got a van (if the rollators collapse they would fit in the back) to go to Ardastra Gardens, a small zoo. It cost only about $20 to $25 dollars before tip. Junkanoo beach is very close to the garden and you could be dropped there. I found the taxi driver to be very nice and helpful. If you are interested in the small zoo, I found it reasonably accessible with mostly paved walkways although some were packed dirt. We enjoyed our time there.

My husband can walk with a walker, but for long distances, he uses a wheelchair. When we were in Nassau a year ago we went into town twice.

The first time we went to our favorite restaurant (Athena's), which starts out with a narrow staircase. He made it up and down the stairs ok on foot. I carried the chair up the stairs, and some very nice people carried it down for me. Then we braved the streets over to the Queen's Staircase. The sidewalks (when there were sidewalks), were horrendous. I posted a few pictures on my blog: http://geocachingevelev.blogspot.com/2011/06/brian-and-i-recently-had-opportunity-to.html

The second time was around dinner. After getting to the end of the pier we caught a taxi to a restaurant nearby. My husband was able to get into the van and his wheelchair fit in the back. The taxi driver was EXTREMELY courteous and helpful.

I know this was a little off-topic, but if the OP doesn't find it useful, maybe someone else will. Sorry I can't offer better advice. It can be a pretty tough city to get around.

Hello,

My husband is disabled but can walk for short distances. We are renting a power scooter for our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Allure in May. We are using two priviate complanies for excursions in Nassau and St. Thomas:

St. Thomas:

EEE Tours: contact Henry Christopher , email henrychristopher_eeetours@yahoo.com He has vans with lift and is very accomodating to taking you wherever you wish to go.Website on line also

Nassau:

Courteous Transfers and Tours Email courteoustaxibahamas@hotmail.com

Contact is Gerard Lewis.

Very pleasant and accomodating. Vehicles with lifts

web: courteoustaxibahamas.com

We are taking a ships excursion on St. Maarten but since it does not have much walking for my husband we can manage it. I don't know of any private company on St. Maarten.

Good luck

Contact for Gerard of Courteous Taxis is gerardblewis@hotmail.com -- notice the b after gerard. He has a stationwagon for small group, and larger passenger vans for larger groups -- all lift accessible. A delightful person - and will customize tour if you so request. We just love going oiver to Atlantis for the day. Tell him "New York Minute" sent you --will make him chuckle. Vicki

My last trip to Nassau I had a travel scooter and just rode off the ship. I just went to a couple shops and ended up at Senor Frogs with my grandkids ( both 21 ). None of us are big drinkers but we enjoyed lunch while watching all the dancing, balloon animals, etc. Before I needed a scooter I used a cane. I always caught a little jitney as soon as I got off the ship that took me to Festival Bldg. at end of pier and caught it back to ship later. I notice it doesn't start running as soon as we were able to clear the ship but a little later when crowd debarking slows down. For a $1 tip each way it saved me a lot of walking. Does anyone know if it's still running ? Haven't been to Nassau for a couple years. If it is still operating you could easily take a folded walker on it.

Archived