Eastern vs Western

bmg251

Hello Everyone,

Wondering in you all can shed some light :)! Maybe I'm just thinking too much since this is my 1st cruise I want to make it special for my hubby and my 6 year old boy. If you have cruised both 7 days eastern vs western can you give me some insights. I really wanted to do the eastern but have 2nd thoughts because it is 2 days in sea and as a 1st time cruise not sure if i'm going to like that. Is there plenty to do in cozumel, and DR? Thanks

We are looking to book our first Disney cruise, and had the same thoughts you did. We have finally decided on the Western because we liked the itinerary better. Key West and Nassau seem like a lot more interesting places to go, than what is offered on the Eastern. Now all we need to do is to get Disney to keep the Magic in Florida in the summer of 2008 so we can go.

We have done the DCL Eastern, and have sailed other lines all through the Westen areas.

My family really prefered the Eastern. The ports were much friendlier and cleaner, the islands more upscale, and the culture a bit more exotic. (St Maarten).

The two days at sea are really terrific. It's at those days at sea that you really can get the Disney feel of things. They really pull out all the stops and the kids have a blast. We now tend to take cruises that have more days at sea because those days really enhance what your ship is all about.

The Disney ships are so well designed to keep you entertained that I don't think you really even need a port of call, except of course Castaway Cay, which is a whole better world all in itself.

Howdy,

another vote for the eastern here.

I have done both a few times, but love the ports better on the Eastern. They just seem to have more to do and as stated above the people seem friendlier, prices are better, and the islands just have a more of atropical feel to them.

We love the extra sea day, so many things to do on the ship, or just relax and unwind if you want.

When we did the western they didnt go to Cozumel due to storm damage so I cant comment on that place, but Grand Caymen was way to modern and expensive to me. I thought it was going to be a more tropical feel and it wasnt. There were big buildings, traffic jams, sirens, people every where. Costa Maya was a nice stop, but unless you were into snorkeling or sailing the only thing to do there was the ruins, which we did and I have to admit it was the best excursion we have every done in 12 cruises, but one awesome excursion didnt make it worth the entire trip of doing the western. There was afew shops at the endof the pier and ina fishing village about a mile away, but that was alll. Pretty expensive and people really wouldnt dicker the prices as they said they would.

Key West is very nice, also very modern. There are some good things to see there, but again other than a few palm trees it just didnt have that tropical island feel we like to have when we cruise.

So both are very good cruises, but we still prefer the Eastern, that is just what suits us the best. I', sure you'll have a blast no matter what you decide on.

mom x4,grandma x4

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I have done the western on disney and eastern on carnival years ago. I prefer the western because of the less days at sea. It depends on what kind of vacationer you are. If you can be happy laying by the pool for 6 or 8 hours then the eastern would be fine. I found all the islands great, east and west. The only negative thing i can say is one of the disney cruises we did the ship was full and the day at sea was insane by the kiddie pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I vote in for the eastern also. We have been on both multiple times and specifically choose the eastern because of the extra day at sea. Days at sea are so relaxing, you have time to go to the spa, the kids love the kid's activities, no rushing around to get back to the ship in time. I agree with all the other posters about the negatives of the western, we just prefer St Thomas, a US territory, and St Maarten is a very nice port. You can actually go to the beach right where you go shopping, you don't need to go on any excursions if you choose not to.

It really is up to you and your preferences, but I can't imagine you would be bored during the extra day at sea.

Archived