Costa Concordia Anniversary

Editor Colleen

How has the Costa Concordia tragedy changed the way you cruise?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How has the Costa Concordia tragedy changed the way you cruise?

• I pay more attention during the muster drill
    • I spend more time researching safety before I board
    • I pack emergency items (such as flashlights)
    • I only book with certain lines
    • I only book ships of a certain size
    • I only book certain itineraries
    • I don’t cruise anymore
    • It hasn't
    • Something else (leave comments below)

It's been almost a year since the Costa Concordia tragedy took place. Since then, the cruise industry has enacted a number of safety measures. But we want to know how the tragedy has affected the way you cruise. So please, vote in our poll, and leave your comments below.

Colleen

Managing editor

How has the Costa Concordia tragedy changed the way you cruise?

I pay more attention during muster drills

I spend more time researching safety before I board

I pack emergency items

I only book with certain lines

I only book ships of a certain size

I only book certain itineraries

It hasn't

I don’t cruise anymore

Something else

Editor Colleen, I am not sure if you realize, but the poll did not show up on this thread.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I hope you can see it now. It took a couple of minutes to post the poll after the original message went up, and you might have slipped in between the two. Please do let me know if it's still not showing up for you.

I appreciate it!

Colleen

Hi Colleen, yes, the poll is showing up.

As to the question. The tragedy has not changed how we cruise but it has reminded us of the importance of safety which includes paying close attention to all safety information both during the tender drill but any other safety information that is provided to us and to take careful note of what we need to do in an emergency.

Keith

No, what happened on the Concordia hasn't affected the way we cruise. I would like to think that the Costa Concordia tragedy has caused ALL of the cruise lines to improve their screening process for hiring ship's captains, and to make sure that Costa, as well as all other cruise lines, have a mandatory muster drill prior to getting under way. All too often it seems, it takes something tragic to happen to cause common sense and logic to kick in.

I voted for, "it hasn't." However, we have done the following:

• I looked into Costa a few years ago, but decided against it due to reports that they have high volumes of smoking passengers. Now even if they banned smoking, I am not so sure that we would ever sail Costa.
  • After the Carnival Splendor lost its power after a fire a few years ago, we starting packing a small flashlight for cruises.
  • We have always paid attention to life boat drills and I have always checked the evacation route which is posted on the back of our cabin door.
  • We will not allow fear to dictate our cruising, but do take common sense into consideration.

Well, for me, it's not so much which cruise lines I book now (although I'm pretty loyal to the RCCL family) -- it's about which cruise lines I WOULDN"T book. You could not pay me enough $$ to get me on a Costa ship! :eek:

As to what I bring in case of emergency, I don't take extra things that I'd have to worry about schlepping off the ship. But I have always traveled (land or sea) with a small flashlight. You just never know when you're going to find yourself in the dark! ;)

The accident has not changed the way I cruise. I have always paid attention at the Muster Drills, locate life jackets upon entering the stateroom, and watch the safety information video that is usually playing on the TV. I have carried a small flashlight for many years and place it in a drawer next to the bed so that it is easily available if the power fails at night.

I do think, though, in the future that it would be prudent to stash a small supply of needed medicine in a baggie for a quick pick-up in case a hasty departure from the stateroom is needed. I plan to do this for my future trips.

It hasn't changed the way we cruised. I have always been aware that a ship is on water, and ships can sink. On every cruise we've been on, one of the first things we've done is located the life jackets in the cabin (that way, even in the dark, I would know approximately where to go and what to do to find them), paid attention at the muster drills, and just been aware that a disaster can happen at any time.

It hasn't changed the way we cruise (or travel for tht matter), because I have always packed for emergencies. We always have a flashlight, bare minimum essentials on me at all times (cc and passport numbers), and extra food in our cabin. I have been boating since I was 6 yrs old so know the importance of marine safety, which I have hopefully impressed on my children as well. We talk about what would happen if an emergency arose while they were at the kids club, otherwise we are together at all times. I would hope they are prepared to act calmly and think rationally, so we can all get through the situation safely.

However, I don't live my life or plan my vacations as if a disaster is imminent.

Archived