Restaurant suggestions for Prague (Old Town)

globie

Anyone have some suggestions for Prague dining in Old Town? We will have two free days prior to our cruise and we love to free style. Any ideas out there? We are not particular and not wimpy or meek about trying new experiences. Thanks.

Anyone have some suggestions for Prague dining in Old Town? We will have two free days prior to our cruise and we love to free style. Any ideas out there? We are not particular and not wimpy or meek about trying new experiences. Thanks.

We ate here and it was very good.

1555631858_SharonsBudapesttoPrague2011841.jpg.6089f597eeba17f77968ddd4f8b9c47b.jpg

We ate twice at Kolkovna Restaurant. There are several restaurants with "Kolkovna" in the name. Try the one that is just across from the statue of Kafka at the entrance to the Jewish quarter. The address is V kolkovne 8

Praha 1, at the end of Kolkovne Street.

Great service, great Czech food, great Pilsner Urquell.

Also check out Prague In Your Pocket for a downloadable guide to the city.

We also ate at the Kolkovna that Shorex mentioned - and really enjoyed it.

A group of us ate at the Cerveneho Pava (Red Rooster Restaurant) one evening. It is on Kamzikova - not particularly easy to find (on a back street...) - but worth the time looking for it.

If you google it, you will find quite a detailed history of the building.

We were staying at the Palace Praha hotel - and ate a couple of times at this little pizzeria called the Green Tomato. Very mismatched tables and chairs - but the food was good. We ate there the 1st night because it was close to the hotel, and the prices were reasonable. And, ended up going back as we had such a great time.

One word of warning --> "non-smoking" sections are difficult to find in restaurants (at least they were in 2009 when we were there...) and if you can find one, you often walk through the smoking area to get to it!!

Doesn't stop me from wanting to go back, however....

Fran

There is a wonderful french restaurant right near the Hilton Old Town--great food and not expensive. We ate there our last evening after a river cruise in Dec. It is not large, so we had the hotel make a reservation, and glad we did. Enjoy that beautiful city. Pat

We tend to eat at small,out of the way restaurants,,most likely in Old town area.Can you just walk in without reservations,,,take your chances?If very busy,,,guess we ll have to plan ahead.?

Have cheat sheets from guide book for menu,,,maybe that ll help.And re tip...always inc..??sometime?? Frommers book mentioned service is sometines slow,lacking,etc...did you find that?:confused:

Alexandra cruiser, The name of the french restaurant is Le Gare, menu translated. It was a busy nite, but service was very good. One of our traveling companions is severely allergic to mushrooms and the waiter was able to tell her if there were hidden mushrooms. Can't remember about the tip. If you really want to eat there, I would make a reservation. We have eaten at out of the way places and had great meals. Isn't travel wonderful? We are so fortunate to be able to visit so many different places. Pat

The most welcoming place we ate at in Prague was U Medvidku. We did not have a reservation and had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. When we arrived the place was really crowded with mostly locals. We were greeted by Georg who spoke enough English to tell us he would get us a table soon. He took good care of us and several parties came in after us, but he made sure we were seated first. The atmosphere was lively and the food great. I don't drink beer but DH said it was good.

Thank you! Food aside, I am particularly interested in the Pilsner Urquel!
It is tougher to find a place that doesn't serve Urquel than finding ones that do.

Note that there will be WIDE variations in the pricing of the beer around town. The smaller places generally have the better pricing, while the tourist restaurants and spots on the main square can be double what you find at little restaurants on side streets. Keep your eye peeled for the chalkboards and signs outside so that you can spread your "beer budget".

Another tip...look for some of the grocery stores as a place to pick up single bottles of various Czech beers. They don't sell them in six-packs, so you can get a half-dozen (or more) different singles and have your own tasting. There is a good grocery virtually next door to the Marriott (which is across the street from the Hilton Old Town). Just a few steps from Republic Square.

Thanks FlyerTalker I am a huge craft beer fan and looking forward to trying a number of the Czech beers. Tour guide we are hiring advised me of similar advice saying that in most non tourist places/hotels you can get a good .5L Czech draft for arond $2.50 US.

It was nice, there was an indoor pool and spa, buffet breakfast was included. It was pretty fancy, we did it as part of our cruise. This time we used Priceline and saved a lot of money.

Stretch is this close to Hilton (we will also be there)? Looks good and like the idea of a large late lunch instead of dinner after a big breakfast. Website has interesting information about the draft beer system they have. Look like great prices!

If you are a beer fan, you should try the Czech Budweiser --> it is *NOT* the same Budweiser available in North America.

Fran

I will give it a try Fran now that you said that or would not have as I am not a big Bud fan. In fact I know my wife will like the Czech pilsners because she likes a lighter beer were I prefer something a bit heavier.

How did you like the Hilton?

We stayed at the Hilton. It is a very large, upscale convention hotel. We had a large and well appointed room and the service was very good.

If you like to walk, you can make it to the center in about 15-20 minutes. There is a also a tram stop close by.

I will give it a try Fran now that you said that or would not have as I am not a big Bud fan. In fact I know my wife will like the Czech pilsners because she likes a lighter beer were I prefer something a bit heavier.

One beer that we tried and did not care for was Kozel, another local Czech beer.

To get to the restaurant you walk out the front door, go across the street, walk through the little indoor mall (there is a grocery store where we picked up cold cuts and beer and wine)..go out the door on the other side, turn right, and it is next to the Jurys Hotel. Less than 5 minute walk. There is a green Pilsner awning, you go in and go downstairs. Very reasonable and big portions!!

I am *NOT* a fan of the NA Bud...(or any of the A-Busch brews) but was assured that the Czech Budweiser (or Budvar) is not the same beer. And, I did try it....

I actually am a fan of Czech beer - and didn't find one along the way that I *didn't* enjoy!! :D

Fran

Getting back to your original question, Globie, one of the nicest lunches we had was up in the Castle Area at the Lobkowicz Palace Cafe. The food is good but a bit pricey because of the stunning view below. It is a great thing to do, for example, after you have spent an exhausting morning at St. Vitus' Cathedral. It is located on the way down from the Castle so you will probably pass it anyway. There is a museum here that has Beethoven's original manuscript of the Eroica, and there are afternoon concerts here as well. I still dream about the thich white hot chocolate I had there as I looked over the red rooftops and bridges below. Some of my finest photos of Prague were taken from this balcony.

Archived