small environmentally friendly practices on ships

librarycin

When I was on Celebrity Infinity in June, I was impressed to see a sign in the washroom that the towels would not be changed unless we leave them on the floor - they were trying to be environmentally friendly.

So, we were surprised that the first day after our room was cleaned, our towels were replaced with clean ones (even though they were - specifically - not left on the floor).

I actually phoned our stateroom attendant and asked about it, and suggested that I wanted them to abide by the sign. He seemed very surprised and asked "are you sure?". Obviously not many people complain about it. I suspect they would get more phone calls and complaints if they didn't change the towels (because people don't read signs!!!). Of course, it was fine after I talked to him.

I would like to encourage more people who are concerned about these little things to phone while on their cruise to hold them to the environmentally friendly practices they say they are doing. I only wish I had thought to also mention it in my evaluation at the end of the cruise...

I don't want to knock Celebrity, as I really had a fabulous time; this is just one little thing that irked me...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Holland they do abide by the signs, ie if you hang a used towel on the hook, in is not changed, but if you leave it on the floor is is replsced. I think most hotels and cruise lines do so.

We were on HAL's Westerdam in late January, and you're right.

• 4 weeks later...

This wasn't on a cruise, but in a store rather. I was at IKEA and in their bathrooms, you flush up for liquids and down for solids. I thought this was great to think about things like that and the use of water. Of course when I brought this up, my MIL didn't read the sign and just flushed down :mad: However, I guess it makes a difference to the people who do read the sign.

IKEA also charges for throw-away (or recyclable plastic bags), 5 cents per bag. Or you can purchse a large reuseable bag for $.59. I also noticed that their pillows and blankets were vacuumed packed for shipping fitting 3-4 times as many in boxes as most places.

I just love the fact that a large corporate store is taking strides to leave a smaller carbon footprint.

Archived