?? about Nellies Cabanas? Pics here PART 2

melbur

To update to the original thread with more clarity . . . . .

Nellie's offers three kinds of cabanas

Beachside - on the beach with little to no climbing

Hillside - a more extensive climb up the hill

Over the water - has direct water access from the cabana

Each cabana comes with lots (maybe 6) towels, an iced cooler with 3 x 1L bottles of evian water, access to the upgraded buffet which offers shrimp skewers, steak, greek salad, etc and a cabana attendent. The attendent will get your drinks, more towels, bring you your floating mats,etc.beachcabana.jpg

Melbur, thank you so much for your patience and your reposting and explanations. Thanks to your pictures I've decided to keep our beachside, I don't do well with stairs and I'm not sure I want to plop right into the water from an over-the-water (although they really do look great).

also, the cart drivers are available in the area all day to take you other places too, so if you have reservations for the zip line or want to go to the straw market, they will take you there and pick you up.that is a really nice extra perk too:)

How far away is the buffet? Someone mentioned the cart drivers would take you there, too.

Oh, and while I'm at it...where are the restrooms on the beach?

the buffet is close, you don't need a driver unless there is a real mobility issue. it is behind the beach cabanas on Barefoot.

Restrooms are at the entrance to the barefoot area across the pathway. not too far.

How does the cost work for the cabanas? Is it per person or total for the cabana? In the description I thought it meant it was total cost, but when I booked and added people it was charging me 200 per person (which for a family of 5 is a really expensive cabana!).

Thanks,

Caryn

When ordering a drink do you just use your on board ship card (sorry do not know what RCCL calls theirs)? I seen where they say you have your cabana attendent to go get your drink correct, if so how do you tip them, at the end of the day or each time?

When on Labadee last year, we used the seapass card for drinks purchases. As per usual, a gratuity is included on the tab, although I usually add a buck when I sign off.

I would also like to know how much to tip the cabana attendant for good service. It will only be my husband and myself (unless we invite new friends).

Teddie

How does the cost work for the cabanas? Is it per person or total for the cabana? In the description I thought it meant it was total cost, but when I booked and added people it was charging me 200 per person (which for a family of 5 is a really expensive cabana!).

Thanks,

Caryn

I was a little confused at first but then realized that the cost is per cabana and not per person. When reserving, you only enter one name. We will be a group of 5 people and I put the reservation under my husband's name.

When on Labadee last year, we used the seapass card for drinks purchases. As per usual, a gratuity is included on the tab, although I usually add a buck when I sign off.

I would also like to know how much to tip the cabana attendant for good service. It will only be my husband and myself (unless we invite new friends).

Teddie

Are the cabana attendants RCI personnel or island personnel. Reason I ask is that if RCI personnel then they would get the tip from the drink gratuity. If not, then they would NOT get the gratuity since they are not RCI personnel and therefore I should definitely figure that into my tip at the end of the day --- make sense?

Are the cabana attendants RCI personnel or island personnel. Reason I ask is that if RCI personnel then they would get the tip from the drink gratuity. If not, then they would NOT get the gratuity since they are not RCI personnel and therefore I should definitely figure that into my tip at the end of the day --- make sense?

They work and live in Haiti, they are not ship personnel.

When booking the cabana, only enter one name. (This is an exception to the shore excursion bookings.)

Again, Melanie, many many thanks for your patient explanations and beautiful photos. One quick question -- in one of the photos, it looks as though there is a small retainer wall between the beach cabanas and the beach proper. Is this true? Is it for the privacy of the cabana area?

Remember, I owe you that keychain, and how about a drink in the CL or DL?:)

Ok, one last question. Melannie or anyone, do you know how many Nellies hillside cabanas there are? It looks like only 2 in all the pics that are on these boards. I am booked for our Jan 7th IOS cruise, just dont want any surprises.:confused:

Thanks a lot

They work and live in Haiti, they are not ship personnel.

When booking the cabana, only enter one name. (This is an exception to the shore excursion bookings.)

Again, Melanie, many many thanks for your patient explanations and beautiful photos. One quick question -- in one of the photos, it looks as though there is a small retainer wall between the beach cabanas and the beach proper. Is this true? Is it for the privacy of the cabana area?

Remember, I owe you that keychain, and how about a drink in the CL or DL?:)

You know Karen, you are right about the retaining wall, although I'm not sure it's done for privacy, here is another shot of it

nellie4-1.jpg

Ok, one last question. Melannie or anyone, do you know how many Nellies hillside cabanas there are? It looks like only 2 in all the pics that are on these boards. I am booked for our Jan 7th IOS cruise, just dont want any surprises.:confused:

Thanks a lot

At the time of these photos, which was early April, there were only 2 hillside, they run right after the Barefoot H5 cabana.

nellieotw2.jpg

So are you sure these are really "over water" Nellies cabanas, because I have always been inder the impression thay these are hillside Nellies (as the are set so far back from the water on the hill amongst the trees with little sun exposure; have zero interest in these locations). To be honest we only booked/dropped the $$$ on this cabana with the idea that we would be in one of the cluster 4 truly over water cabanas on the opposite side of the beach, and if there is a chance that we are not in one of these then we may very well have to cancel...:(

So are you sure these are really "over water" Nellies cabanas, because I have always been inder the impression thay these are hillside Nellies (as the are set so far back from the water on the hill amongst the trees with little sun exposure; have zero interest in these locations). To be honest we only booked/dropped the $$$ on this cabana with the idea that we would be in one of the cluster 4 truly over water cabanas on the opposite side of the beach, and if there is a chance that we are not in one of these then we may very well have to cancel...:(

They aren't set so far back in the trees, you can see the steps with direct access into the water and the tide is quite low . . . they are right on the water's edge and they get tons of sun . . not sure what you are seeing - look closely and you can see the concrete beach wall behind them - they are not on a hill. hillside are just that, the ones on the hill beside the Barefoot Hillside

They aren't set so far back in the trees, you can see the steps with direct access into the water and the tide is quite low . . . they are right on the water's edge and they get tons of sun . . not sure what you are seeing - look closely and you can see the concrete beach wall behind them - they are not on a hill. hillside are just that, the ones on the hill beside the Barefoot Hillside

Thanks for the reply, and while I do see what you are saying about their location, the big thing for us is that we are really big on being able to lay out in the sun for a good part of the day, and after seeing your photos and (more significantly) photos of those cabanas as were posted in other threads and in this link that a CC user gave to his/her cabana photos, its definitely looking like if we get stuck with one of those on that far left side of the beach then we'll have to plan to grab a couple of loungers on the beach for our sun bathing needs, and then retreat the to cabana every now and then. Hopefully won't come to that, as it would be a bit of a bummer. Bottom line is there is really no comparison with the cluster of cabanas on the opposite side of the beach with regard to the sun exposure, as there are no trees around the deck areas of those cabanas whatsoever.

Edited by joeski27

Thanks for the reply. Well with only 2 and they both seem to have great views we should get a good one. I was a lil worried being the second ship in Labadee that all the good ones would be taken. Guess i shouldn't worry.:D

Thanks, Melanie, for all your help with this issue.

Is there access to walk between the cabanas? Say the Nellie's over the water, is there easy access to the one next to it? Also, for the over the water, is there another entry besides the one from the water?

Edited by yj2cute