What to wear when you are too heavy for a bathing suit

shorbr

Honestly...what do you do when you are too heavy to put on a bathing suit? I have tons of cellulite and am ashamed to be seen in a bathing suit. I would love to enjoy the pool on board but feel so self conscious. Any suggestions...serious replies only.

Please...do NOT be self-conscious! You will not be the "heaviest" or have the most cellulite! The fact is, most people are so "self-contained" on a cruise, that they will take no notice. And, if they do...who cares! You don't know them and will never see them again.

If you don't want to wear a skimpy suit, that's fine...but wearing something "out of the ordinary" will simply draw attention to yourself! If you want to wear a suit with a skirt, that can hide a multitude of problems!

But, really...don't worry about it. Find a suit that you're a bit comfortable in...and wear it with pride. Enjoy the pool! No one cares!

No one can make you comfortable in your body except you. I hope you are able to come to some happiness with yourself so you can enjoy the pool or beach!

If you don't want to wear a traditional one piece bathing suit, there are swim shorts and skirts for women - no need to wear men's trunks.

If you don't plan on swimming but just want to be at the pool or beach, you could wear a coverup - a skirt, dress (short or long) or anything else that you feel comfortable in.

You don't say what size you are, so I'm hesitant to recommend actual styles, but what the heck:rolleyes:

"Skirtini" http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Swimsuit-in-a-2piece-skirtini-style-by-Swim-365.aspx?PfId=255075&DeptId=21522&ProductTypeId=1

Boy shorts: http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Inches-Off-Boyshort-Tankini.aspx?PfId=221023&DeptId=21522&ProductTypeId=1

Board shorts:http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Long-Utility-Boardie.aspx?PfId=340425&DeptId=11603&ProductTypeId=1

Tank coverup - I have a few of these from Lands ENd from a few years ago - 3 short, 2 long (I don't see the long ones on their site right now) http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-plus-size-cotton-jersey-sleeveless-cover-up~237332_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::TVY&CM_MERCH=IDX_swimwear-_-women-_-shop-by-silhouette-_-cover-ups-_-knit-cover-up&origin=index

No one can make you comfortable in your body except you. I hope you are able to come to some happiness with yourself so you can enjoy the pool or beach!

If you don't want to wear a traditional one piece bathing suit, there are swim shorts and skirts for women - no need to wear men's trunks.

If you don't plan on swimming but just want to be at the pool or beach, you could wear a coverup - a skirt, dress (short or long) or anything else that you feel comfortable in.

You don't say what size you are, so I'm hesitant to recommend actual styles, but what the heck:rolleyes:

"Skirtini" http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Swimsuit-in-a-2piece-skirtini-style-by-Swim-365.aspx?PfId=255075&DeptId=21522&ProductTypeId=1

Boy shorts: http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Inches-Off-Boyshort-Tankini.aspx?PfId=221023&DeptId=21522&ProductTypeId=1

Board shorts:http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Long-Utility-Boardie.aspx?PfId=340425&DeptId=11603&ProductTypeId=1

Tank coverup - I have a few of these from Lands ENd from a few years ago - 3 short, 2 long (I don't see the long ones on their site right now) http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-plus-size-cotton-jersey-sleeveless-cover-up~237332_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::TVY&CM_MERCH=IDX_swimwear-_-women-_-shop-by-silhouette-_-cover-ups-_-knit-cover-up&origin=index

5'4" and 217lbs and wear 16W. I just ordered a cute swimdress from Always for Me. It got a lot of good reviews, on the expensive side ($89), but I thought I would give it a try. Funny though, when I was about 70 pounds lighter, I thought I was fat then. But after coming off treatment for breast cancer, which was 7 years ago, but taking the pills afterwards for 5 years sorta made me heavier. I don't blame it all on that, but it threw me into menopause, and that weight gain around my stomach is MUCH!!! But I'm alive, and at the moment though I am cutting back considerably.

Happy cruising!!

I just really want to enjoy myself without feeling too self-conscious. Thanks for the suggestions.

I hope you have a great time and enjoy your new swimdress! You won't be the smallest, you won't be the largest - you'll just be one of many having a great time on vacation!!! :D

I know it seems early (summer just started!) but TONS of places have swimwear on sale now (in stores and online) so you should be able to find lots of options if you want to try something else for your trip!

I have a couple pairs of swim shorts I like (royal blue, black) and then buy tankini tops when they go on sale (I love Lands End underwire options that go up to DDD)

shorbr...comparing your stats we are very similar in size...I'm 5'1' and 210 and I wear 18W and trust me...plenty of cellulite. Don't stress about it. I have been on 6 cruises and I always see people smaller than me and people bigger than me. Honestly, they say the average american woman is a size 14 so you're just a little bigger. Yes, I would like to lose weight and I'm constantly "working on it" but my husband loves me and I refuse to let this weight keep me from doing what I want. I go swimming in the pool and lay out on every cruise, go snorkeling, parasailing, we rode Segway's in St. Marteen....don't laugh but I've even laid out "in the buff" on our balcony with my beautiful husband...you only have one life and none of us are perfect...try not to worry about it and enjoy yourself. I have learned that I will regret the things I don't do so much more than the things I do.

shorbr, I want to encourage you to wear a bathing suit and enjoy your time at the pool, the beach, and in the sun. As stated, no one really cares what you look like, and everyone deserves the chance and the right to go to the pool on a cruise they have paid for. Please do not be self-conscious.

Having said that, there is a wonderful company online which has beautiful suits. Here is the link, and this particular section is for swimdresses, which are so cute! Oh my goodness, they've come a long way in the past number of years. I bought two suits from this company and they were adorable. I recommend them - super quick service and they do have a good return policy if you are not satisfied.

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/prodshelf.asp?dept_id=100681 <---click here

Have a wonderful cruise.

Sometimes men's swim trunks work well, then just buy a swimsuit top or wear a t- shirt or tank top. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Jane

Jane .... That's exactly what I do and I'm NOT at all over weight (109 lbs).

Works great for me! Men/Boys bathing suits have pockets which are very convenient. In addition to no longer looking good in a two-piece :rolleyes:, I need the sun protection of a shirt. Over a woman's bathsuit top I normally wear a light weight UA shirt because it drys quickly.

Women of any size can do the same.

Love the suit! I am normally an 18w but swimsuits i take a 20w. I dont like how i look in one but WHO CARES! I like the tankini suits with the seperate bathing shorts that cover my thighs (mostly). As long as you feel comfortable thats all that matters. I ALWAYS see people bigger than me on the cruise having fun so enjoy that gorgeous suit!

Love the suit! I am normally an 18w but swimsuits i take a 20w. I dont like how i look in one but WHO CARES! I like the tankini suits with the seperate bathing shorts that cover my thighs (mostly). As long as you feel comfortable thats all that matters. I ALWAYS see people bigger than me on the cruise having fun so enjoy that gorgeous suit!

Don't tell anybody...I have only wore a swimsuit once in my life and that was back in 1993 In Disney World when I was 70 pounds lighter and thought I was fat then...lol. Can't wait to get it and hope it looks ok on me...Like you, I always see heavier woman who just seem to be having such a good time and I want to do the same.

Oh, I ordered the 18W. I normally wear 16W in clothing. So we shall see.

You will be just fine! The swimsuit is very pretty and I love the color you chose.

I'm also plus size, I wear one pieces some with skirts some without. I always have a sarong or coverup to throw on when I get out of the pool, makes me feel more comfortable.

ENJOY yourself at any size!!!

5'4" and 217lbs and wear 16W. I just ordered a cute swimdress from Always for Me. It got a lot of good reviews, on the expensive side ($89), but I thought I would give it a try. Funny though, when I was about 70 pounds lighter, I thought I was fat then. But after coming off treatment for breast cancer, which was 7 years ago, but taking the pills afterwards for 5 years sorta made me heavier. I don't blame it all on that, but it threw me into menopause, and that weight gain around my stomach is MUCH!!! But I'm alive, and at the moment though I am cutting back considerably.

Happy cruising!!

I just really want to enjoy myself without feeling too self-conscious. Thanks for the suggestions.

First of all CONGRATULATIONS on being a survivor !!! I've have had too many family members go threw cancer some have made it some have not. So be proud of what you look like you are alive to show it off!

Now ...a size 16 is not huge my DD is 19 and bigger than that I love her just the way she is :) of course if she lost weight I would be happy..lol she is a size 24 ! We just found the cutest skirted tankini for her at target really hides the belly and hips good and is still soooo cute! Don't give up !

Shorbr and everyone else who responded so positively-thank you.

I am leaving Thursday for a cruise and my daughters convinced me that I needed to give up my black everything buy some pretty plus size clothes and a bathing suit for the cruise. I was terrified; these comments have helped me, too.

I am so glad you found such a beautiful suit for your cruise. I am sure you will have a great time. I really loved onestopplus for suits and then found a beautiful maxi dress at Target for a cover up.

My Mom was very blunt: "Nobody pays as much attention to you as you think they do!":)

This is it. I ordered it in teal...

http://www.alwaysforme.com/plus-size-bathing-suit-80823wa.html

What ya think?

That's really cute and I love the color! Great choice. Was going to suggest Swimsuitsforall since I've bought some of their blouson tops to go with swim shorts or skirts but this one you bought is super. I, too, was nervous about being seen in a swimsuit but by second day figured I could tie a pareo on as well as anybody even if not tall and slender. Summersemester's mom is right about nobody paying as much attention as we think. We can be our own worst critics! Go, have fun, enjoy everything on the cruise--- we all celebrate your survival!

Here's a secret for you...No woman, regardless of size, actually likes trying on swimsuits. We all have something we don't like.

With that said, you will look more out of place by the pool covered from head to toe than you will in a swimsuit. And no one will even notice or care. I've seen people of all sizes in swimsuits on board. Go, enjoy yourself and wear a swimsuit!

sounds like you found a way to solve your dilemma in a very lovely way.

I understand how you feel...I am not at all comfortable in a swim suit and to tell the truth on my last cruise I only wore mine once when we went snorkeling even though I brought two brand new suits LOL

I usually wear shorts and a tank on the beach or when I go to a pool (which is very rare) or maybe a sundress in the future.

I know no one will probably notice me in a swimsuit but I am not comfortable and very self conscious so I choose to just not get stressed about it all

shorbr, I want to encourage you to wear a bathing suit and enjoy your time at the pool, the beach, and in the sun. As stated, no one really cares what you look like, and everyone deserves the chance and the right to go to the pool on a cruise they have paid for. Please do not be self-conscious.

Well said...I second this...have a wonderful cruise.

I want to say thanks for the encouragement. It's exactly what I needed. You guys have infused a confidence in me...and now I look forward to wearing my swim dress. I will update and let you know when I receive it.

Thanks again...

Archived