Vancouver -- train station to pier

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how long it would take to walk from the Waterfront station to the pier? I'm on the Radiance in May and am looking at return flights. If anyone has any information (or directions) it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how long it would take to walk from the Waterfront station to the pier? I'm on the Radiance in May and am looking at return flights. If anyone has any information (or directions) it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Depends on whether RC is using Canada Place or Ballantyne pier. They used to use Ballantyne, but lately they've been using Canada Place.

Canada Place is literally right beside Waterfront Station. It is a matter of yards. Just go out the west side of Waterfront. Take the escalators up, IIRC.

Ballantyne is located in an industrial area east of there and is inaccessible by pedestrians - literally.

Finally, I assume when you say "train" you mean the SkyTrain and Canada Line transit station. Although Waterfront Station is the former Canadian Pacific station, the currently used Vancouver train station for Amtrak and Via Rail Canada is at Pacific Central Station, the former Canadian National station, on the other side of downtown.

We did this just the other year while departing from Canada place for an Alaskan cruise. We took the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. From there it was a very short walk across the street to the sky train station. Hopped on board the sky train and 5-10 minutes later we are at the Waterfront station. Upon exiting the Waterfront station our ship was staring us in the face about 200 feet away. I found these arrival plans to be very very easy.

According to the Canada Place ship schedule Radiance will be using Canada Place for her May 2012 sailings.

Another thing to consider, we did this and really enjoyed it. Upon arrival to the ship we dropped our bags with the porters. We then headed back out and about 1 block to the West of Canada place is the Olympic torch from the Vancouver winter olympics.

The Waterfront Station is about a city block away after you get to the street level from the disembarkation area in the parking garage area of Canada Place. There is a ramp at the end of the sidewalk in the garage to go up to the street level.

Depending on how much luggage you have and how fast you walk, it could take 10 min. or so?

The Canada Line train runs every 7 minutes and it will take you about 26 min. to YVR.

Cost is $3.75 CA or Sr. $2.50 for a 2- Zone Ticket [YVR from downtown]. Taxi is about $35 CA.

Our gas is over $4 a Liter now.....so maybe a taxi will be more....:eek:

They do not want you on the ship too late, so maybe 10:30 or earlier, as passengers sometimes come on around 11 AM after the ship is cleared.

You could do a tour of Vancouver and then end at the airport if you have a late flight?:) It is a beautiful city!!!!

Hi,

Thank you!

it is 3 blocks, probably 5 minutes; slightly downhill. Exit Canada Place and walk one block straight ahead (slightly to your left) along Howe Street, turn left and two blocks on Cordova; station is the big brick building on your left. Don't be tempted by the Skytrain Escalators ½block from Canada Place as they lead to the Expo/Millenium Line tracks, not the Canada [airport] Line tracks.

I think OP is going the other way. Which means should exit from Waterfront station the opposite way from pretty well everyone and go up to the street where the Red line comes out and follow it to Canada Place.

Here you go..... zoom in for much better look.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=217449072889534043648.00048a321029e363943bc&msa=0&ll=49.285045,-123.118007&spn=0.007327,0.013357

I'm sure Scott can add more on this.

I think OP is going the other way. Which means should exit from Waterfront station the opposite way from pretty well everyone and go up to the street where the Red line comes out and follow it to Canada Place.

Here you go..... zoom in for much better look.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=217449072889534043648.00048a321029e363943bc&msa=0&ll=49.285045,-123.118007&spn=0.007327,0.013357

I'm sure Scott can add more on this.

You're right, I read it backwards. The directions (if you want to make it easy on yourself), are different.

Exiting the train, look for the elevator right on the Waterfront station platform marked "GRANVILLE STREET" (not the tunnel). This exits you to the corner of W.Pender and Granville, and from here, it's a slightly downhill walk for three blocks. it's actually shorter (and downhill) versus taking the long tunnel off the platform and exiting through the Waterfront Station complete. it's the red line on the map that Leftcoast has posted.

I have read thru the posts, but not sure my question is the same.

We are arriving in Vancouver at the end of a cruise tour and will be taking Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle At 5:45 pm on July 6th. My question is how far is it to the Amtrak station from the cruise terminal? Can we walk it with a lot of luggage or do we need to take a taxi or other type of public transportation? Also, does anyone know if they have lockers or baggage storage at the Amtrak station? Don't want to drag our luggage around all day! Thanks for any information y'all have.

I have read thru the posts, but not sure my question is the same.

We are arriving in Vancouver at the end of a cruise tour and will be taking Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle At 5:45 pm on July 6th. My question is how far is it to the Amtrak station from the cruise terminal? Can we walk it with a lot of luggage or do we need to take a taxi or other type of public transportation? Also, does anyone know if they have lockers or baggage storage at the Amtrak station? Don't want to drag our luggage around all day! Thanks for any information y'all have.

It's a bit of a walk, at least 2 miles. You could take the Skytrain from waterfront station to the Science World stop then walk a couple of blocks to the Amtrak train station.

I do believe that there is storage at the Station.. I'm sure someone else on here can confirm that..

Re sky train if you can handle your luggage without problems there is a bit of a walk to the station either outside for two blocks downhill or under ground same distance withseveral escalators. And..

There is a station right across the street from the Amtrak station.

Thank you for the info. I think we may have to take a taxi or a shuttle, but it may be too difficult to handle our luggage for that much walking. A lot of luggage for 2 weeks!!! Surely there will be plenty of both at the pier when we arrive! We need to find somewhere to store our luggage for the day so we can wander around beautiful Vancouver!

Thank you for the info. I think we may have to take a taxi or a shuttle, but it may be too difficult to handle our luggage for that much walking. A lot of luggage for 2 weeks!!! Surely there will be plenty of both at the pier when we arrive! We need to find somewhere to store our luggage for the day so we can wander around beautiful Vancouver!

There will be cabs. Some days easier than others depending on the number of ships in port.

I just checked the Train Station they show baggage storage/check service...

http://www.viarail.ca/en/stations/rockies-and-pacific/vancouver

in a General Info link on that page.

I would take the "skytrain" as the underground entrance is next to the cab line-up. The science world/main st. station that you would get off at is across the street from the train station (100 yds) entrance. If you have to take your own bags to the cab stand you can manage this short journey.

See if you can check your bags in early at the train station and hop back on "skytrain" to see vancouver. The ticket is good on skytrain and any transit buses for a couple of hours.

I have a similar question albeit different from the OP. I'm flying into YVR for a cruise in September and staying overnight in Canada Place. As I understand it, I can take the Canada Line from the airport and exit at the Waterfront station. Right? I'm a bit older and will be traveling alone although I can roll my suitcase and carry-on without much trouble. Is this doable? The map is great and I've printed it out but I'm still a little confused.

I have a similar question albeit different from the OP. I'm flying into YVR for a cruise in September and staying overnight in Canada Place. As I understand it, I can take the Canada Line from the airport and exit at the Waterfront station. Right? I'm a bit older and will be traveling alone although I can roll my suitcase and carry-on without much trouble. Is this doable? The map is great and I've printed it out but I'm still a little confused.

Yep, it's pretty straightforward. My only recommendation if you're staying at the Pan Pacific (Canada Place), is use the elevator right on the platform at Waterfront station, and don't follow the masses down th elong corridor (obvious once you're there). it makes the walk to Canada Place slightly downhill vs slightly uphill.

Archived