Food - specialties for Alaska trips?

Random00

I have booked on the Sapphire Princess, Vancouver to Whittier in May. I have heard that Princess does some specialty meals with an Alaskan theme. Does anyone know what I should expect? Are there particular nights that they offer these specialties?

Sorry I can't find an example - but I did sail Princess the last 3 years to Alaska and one night per cruise, there is an "Alaskan themed menu" similiar to the "Caribbean themed menu" you find in the Caribbean. The only thing I can remember is Alaskan King Crab legs on the menu that night.

I found this snipit from 2002 but it sounds very familiar:

Chef's Alaskan Dinner -- In keeping with Princess' commitment to offering flavorful local specialties, the line's ships are serving a new Chef's Alaskan Dinner during one evening of each seven-night cruise. Entrees include Fresh Auke Bay Halibut, Alaskan King Crab Legs, Chicken a la Kiev and Rack of Venison. Alaskan Silver Salmon is always available throughout each Alaskan cruise, featuring fresh filets from Ketchikan that are loaded aboard each week when the ship visits that port. This special menu also offers local appetizers and soups, such as Alaska Rock Fish Chowder, Pioneer Lentil Soup with Caribou Sausage and Cook Inlet Crab Cakes.

I did find some info in the brochure - "includes Chef's Alaskan Dinner, on deck fish barbeque, Glacier Bay Taste of Alaska Buffet, Reindeer Chilli cookoff and Baked Alaska Parade... enjoy smoked wild salmon and fresh Auke Bay halibut on one night...Alaskan King Crab legs the next"

Sounds like the glacier Bay buffet is served outside while cruising in Glacier Bay.

Does anyone have more info?

I did find some info in the brochure - "includes Chef's Alaskan Dinner, on deck fish barbeque, Glacier Bay Taste of Alaska Buffet, Reindeer Chilli cookoff and Baked Alaska Parade... enjoy smoked wild salmon and fresh Auke Bay halibut on one night...Alaskan King Crab legs the next"

Sounds like the glacier Bay buffet is served outside while cruising in Glacier Bay.

Does anyone have more info?

Yes, they do have a buffet, but far better is the food in port. I remember the salmon being ice cold, since it was cold outside. :(

Archived