One-Way Rental Car - Houston to Galveston, Galveston to Houston

Hi,

Is Enterprise Rental Car the only car rental company that allows one-way car rentals from Houston to Galveston and Galveston to Houston? We are sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas on 7/1/07 and are planning on renting a car at Houston Hobby. Also, how far is the Enterprise rental car drop-off place from the cruise port? Does enterprise offer shuttles to the cruise port?

Thank you for all your help.

MinnieCruiser:D

Hertz has one way rentals from IAH. I would assume they would offer one-ways from HOU as well.

I found it helps to call the local Hertz office in Galveston. Frequently, the web-sites and Hertz national reservations centers don't have accurate information.

BTW, there have been reports on the Gulf-Coast Ports board of excessive one-way "drop" charges by Enterprise in this market.

Hertz has one way rentals from IAH. I would assume they would offer one-ways from HOU as well.

I found it helps to call the local Hertz office in Galveston. Frequently, the web-sites and Hertz national reservations centers don't have accurate information.

BTW, there have been reports on the Gulf-Coast Ports board of excessive one-way "drop" charges by Enterprise in this market.

We used Enterprise one-way drop when we took this cruise. They were very nice about it, but make sure your contact the local office in Galveston because there office is not open on return to port. They will provide you with a phone number to call.

When arriving in Galveston for dropping off on way to ship they ask that you call a cab and have them take you to port. It was only like 5 or 10 mins, not much on cost.

Upon return arrival back into town they do provide a shuttle for only the pre-booked car rentals. They picked us up right in front of the cruise terminal.

If you wish to email me at cjankowski@magliner.com, I will try to find you the number and info that we used.

It sounds as if we will have to do some more homework regarding the rental cars.

MinnieCruiser

We did this and it was easy. Picked up the car at IAH from Enterprise. Dropped it off in Galveston at their Broadway office. Then they shuttled us to the pier. Upon return from the cruise we used Hertz. They had a shuttle pick us up at the cruise terminal and brought us to their office on Broadway (across the street from the Enterprise office). It all went very smoothly. Another option would be using Galveston Limousine Service for transportation to and from the pier.

http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/

Hi we are coming into IAH (Bush) on 3-24-07 and leaving on Rhapsody 3-25-07, we are staying at Gaido's Seaside Inn, could you please tell me what the cost was to rent a one way to Galveston from Houston? I called Enterprise and they told me $15 for auto, $60 for drop off fee and the rest was taxes etc. that totaled $104.00 that is crazy for one way for one day. Is this what you were charged? Then I would guess it would be the same going back? Can anyone recommend a cheaper way? Our airfare wasn't included in our cruise package so no transfers either, and my TA isn't offering any suggestions either. Any suggestions would be great!! Thank you all so much for your continued help :)

Lori

Hi we are coming into IAH (Bush) on 3-24-07 and leaving on Rhapsody 3-25-07, we are staying at Gaido's Seaside Inn, could you please tell me what the cost was to rent a one way to Galveston from Houston? I called Enterprise and they told me $15 for auto, $60 for drop off fee and the rest was taxes etc. that totaled $104.00 that is crazy for one way for one day. Is this what you were charged? Then I would guess it would be the same going back? Can anyone recommend a cheaper way? Our airfare wasn't included in our cruise package so no transfers either, and my TA isn't offering any suggestions either. Any suggestions would be great!! Thank you all so much for your continued help :)

Lori

Enterprise raised the drop off fee from $40.00 to $60.00 a couple of days after we made our reservation. We were charged $84.00 which included the $40.00 drop fee. Galveston Limousine Service may be a better alternative for you. It would be cheaper than $104.00. Hertz also offers one way drop off's from IAH to Galveston but they were even more expensive than Enterprise. BTW, renting a car from Galveston to the airports are about $50.00.

http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/

Wow. I guess your mileage may vary.

We did the the Enterprise, one-way, Gaido's and Rhapsody last year and had no problem.

They take you from Hobby to the Enterprise location about 10min ride, you get your car, and get on the highway, all in about 10 min.

Galveston is about 30-40 away, we got into town, rode around a few min to get our bearings and finally got to Gaido's, had dinner there that night and the next AM, I dropped my Partner off at the port, gassed up the car and I went to Enterprise, about 8min away and they brought me back to the port in a van. I was gone about 30min and 6 other people came back with me. They did make it very clear at Hobby only the driver should return the car as space on the van was limited. That 1 way only cost me 38$ for a Chevy Cobalt, no drop fee.

The ride home, I stopped at the Enterprise terminal at the Carnival terminal, and they gave me my keys and the car was parked across the street in a parking garage. The drive to Hobby was uneventful, I stopped for gas and returned the car, I think it cost $32 for a Saturn Ion. They then drove us back to the airport.

I was prepared to pay the $40 drop fee in Galveston, but in the end we were never charged. My thinking was that because we rented both ways it was waived.

I guess this time, we have a TransAtlantic in April on the Splendor, that we will probably be dinged with the drop fee since we are not returning to Galveston, we are flying back to JFK in NYC instead from Barcelona.

Brian

Wow. I guess your mileage may vary.

We did the the Enterprise, one-way, Gaido's and Rhapsody last year and had no problem.

They take you from Hobby to the Enterprise location about 10min ride, you get your car, and get on the highway, all in about 10 min.

Galveston is about 30-40 away, we got into town, rode around a few min to get our bearings and finally got to Gaido's, had dinner there that night and the next AM, I dropped my Partner off at the port, gassed up the car and I went to Enterprise, about 8min away and they brought me back to the port in a van. I was gone about 30min and 6 other people came back with me. They did make it very clear at Hobby only the driver should return the car as space on the van was limited. That 1 way only cost me 38$ for a Chevy Cobalt, no drop fee.

The ride home, I stopped at the Enterprise terminal at the Carnival terminal, and they gave me my keys and the car was parked across the street in a parking garage. The drive to Hobby was uneventful, I stopped for gas and returned the car, I think it cost $32 for a Saturn Ion. They then drove us back to the airport.

I was prepared to pay the $40 drop fee in Galveston, but in the end we were never charged. My thinking was that because we rented both ways it was waived.

I guess this time, we have a TransAtlantic in April on the Splendor, that we will probably be dinged with the drop fee since we are not returning to Galveston, we are flying back to JFK in NYC instead from Barcelona.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Minniecruiser, I called this week and reserved (no dep required :) ) a car coming from Bush and then back to Bush from Galveston on our return. I had called Hertz also, they were sold out for April 1! So if anyone needs a car call ASAP 409-740-0700, the price was $86.70 (with drop off fee) although the drop off fee didn't show up on my confirmation email :p but I am sure they will charge once were there. And the price for returning to Bush from Galveston was $54.22, no drop off fee, by the way I used a coupon from our "ENTERTAINMENT BOOK" for 20% that I used on the return car. When they applied the coupon to the $86.70 it brought my total up more because the price I got was a discounted price to begin with. So I just used it for the return trip which worked. So look for your coupons if you have this book!! Hope this helps :)

Lori

Archived