Ft. Lauderdale - 8 or 9 possible terminals?

Toddcan

We're sailing on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas in March 2013. So, being the cronic planner that I am, I naturally wanted to plan my route to the port the best I could.

So, I go to the port website, and even look at google earth and see that there are at least 8 (maybe 9) different terminals. Gah! how am I supposed to plan this out ? :D

So, here are my questions.

1. It looks like each terminal has it's own prking garage right beside (within easy walking distance) to the terminal itself. Am I correct?

2. I know the Indy only sails out of Port Everglades in the spring/summer, but is there any way to know which terminal I will be in?

3. Is there good signage? Once I know my terminal - are the signs good?

4. I assume it's just as easy as any other port: Drive up, find the porters (well marked), drop off luggage, go park, walk to terminal

5. Anything else I should know, or is this port just as easy as Miami?

port-map.jpg

When you arrive at the port entrance, there is signage telling you which terminal to go to and decent directions to your correct one.

We're sailing on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas in March 2013. So, being the cronic planner that I am, I naturally wanted to plan my route to the port the best I could.

So, I go to the port website, and even look at google earth and see that there are at least 8 (maybe 9) different terminals. Gah! how am I supposed to plan this out ? :D

So, here are my questions.

1. It looks like each terminal has it's own prking garage right beside (within easy walking distance) to the terminal itself. Am I correct?

2. I know the Indy only sails out of Port Everglades in the spring/summer, but is there any way to know which terminal I will be in?

3. Is there good signage? Once I know my terminal - are the signs good?

4. I assume it's just as easy as any other port: Drive up, find the porters (well marked), drop off luggage, go park, walk to terminal

5. Anything else I should know, or is this port just as easy as Miami?

port-map.jpg

It's been a few years, but the last time I cruised the Independence out of Port Everglades, we were at terminal #24.

We were on a shuttle, not driving ourselves, but it is very well marked, at least in that part of the port.

The port is very easy to figure out. If you are driving in, you basically take the 595 east from I-95, go past the airport and follow the signs. You drive straight in to the port. If you are parking a vehicle, I'd suggest the Park N Go lot, which is right outside the port gate on Eller Dr. It's half the price of the port parking, and their shuttles pick you up at your car and drop you at the luggage porters. At the end of the cruise, you just go outside the terminal, look for one of their mini-buses and hop in and they take you right back to your car. While the port parking is convenient, you may not return to the same terminal you left from, which means you car is over there somewhere, while you are over here. And while the port apparently provides shuttles in these situations (I don't know this for fact), you've basically paid double to do exactly what you would have done at Park N Go.

As for where the ship will be, it will likely be at 24 and 25 (you'll probably board the ship from 25 and disembark from 24) or 29 with a possibility of 21. 25 and 21 are directly opposite each other while 29 is out of the way to the sound end of the port area. This would be my concern on your return day if you are parked in the garage beside 21 and the ship came back to 29.

The port is very easy to figure out. If you are driving in, you basically take the 595 east from I-95, go past the airport and follow the signs. You drive straight in to the port. If you are parking a vehicle, I'd suggest the Park N Go lot, which is right outside the port gate on Eller Dr. It's half the price of the port parking, and their shuttles pick you up at your car and drop you at the luggage porters. At the end of the cruise, you just go outside the terminal, look for one of their mini-buses and hop in and they take you right back to your car. While the port parking is convenient, you may not return to the same terminal you left from, which means you car is over there somewhere, while you are over here. And while the port apparently provides shuttles in these situations (I don't know this for fact), you've basically paid double to do exactly what you would have done at Park N Go.

As for where the ship will be, it will likely be at 24 and 25 (you'll probably board the ship from 25 and disembark from 24) or 29 with a possibility of 21. 25 and 21 are directly opposite each other while 29 is out of the way to the sound end of the port area. This would be my concern on your return day if you are parked in the garage beside 21 and the ship came back to 29.

Anyone know if this happens often? (Arriving at a different terminal than you left from). That seems like a real pain.

I've only been on 4 cruises, and we always just drove to the port (except for Hawaii), parked our car right there, and walked ~100 yards to the terminal doors. I REALLY like the thought of debarking, and walking right to the car, not hopping on a shuttle that 250 other people are trying to catch too. But, if there is a decent chance we will arrive at a different terminal, that would suck.

While possible, chances are good you will return to the same pier, or very close. The cruise line needs to have pretty steady assignments to piers for their checking in of the next cruise. Yes, if you are on an odd day, you could get Pier 29- which is the overflow pier. Been there once. Have you done any research on how many ships are in port on your return date? Check the Port Everglades website for info, and check it regularly for number of ships in port.

Worst case, realistically, is you leave one person with all the bags while you walk to the parking garage. Then drive the car back and p/u everyone and the bags.

While possible, chances are good you will return to the same pier, or very close. The cruise line needs to have pretty steady assignments to piers for their checking in of the next cruise. Yes, if you are on an odd day, you could get Pier 29- which is the overflow pier. Been there once. Have you done any research on how many ships are in port on your return date? Check the Port Everglades website for info, and check it regularly for number of ships in port.

Worst case, realistically, is you leave one person with all the bags while you walk to the parking garage. Then drive the car back and p/u everyone and the bags.

Excellent point...

On embarkation day, there are 7 ships at port

On debarkation day, there are 6 ships at port.

There are 9 terminals in total. I'm guessimating that we will return to the same pier/terminal.

Part of the issue is the day you come back, you also have the Liberty of the Seas. It sails the day after you, likely from the same pier as you sailed from. Since it does 4 and 5 day routes, it might have priority for the same terminal, rather than the Indy doing the 6 and 8 day routes. As this is also a weekend, then the Oasis and Allure have terminal 18.

You don't need to bring a map or plan anything. It is a big port but no harder to find what you need than Miami. Even if you come back to a different terminal it will probably be on the same block. If not, there will be parking shuttle. Just relax and go and have fun.:)

Did a little more digging - makes sense now... From the website:

Northport Parking GarageThe 2500-space Northport garage (soon expanding to 4,250 spaces) services:

Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center

Northport cruise terminals including Cruise Terminals 1, 2 & 4.

Entrance: Turn south on Eisenhower Blvd. from 17th Street Causeway, or come east on State Road 84, entering the Port and turning left at Eisenhower Blvd.

From I-595, go east straight into the Port. Follow signs for Terminals #1, 2 & 4 and/or the Convention Center.

Midport Parking GarageThe 2000-space Midport garage services:

Cruise Midport Cruise Terminals 19, 21, 22/24, 25, 26, 27 and 29.

Entrance: Take I-595 east straight into the Port. Continue heading east to the garage on the left side of the street.

Midport Surface Lots

Cruise Terminal 18 has its own 600-space surface parking lot adjacent to the terminal.

Parking Lot #19 is a 400-space surface parking lot located between Cruise Terminals 18 and 19 and is used when the parking lot at Cruise Terminal 18 and the Midport Garage are full. The entrance is on SE 19th Street.

Garage and surface parking rates are the same.

Archived