Limassol - 2pm until 7pm

julie19

Hi - we are due to visit Limassol and we didn't particularly want to a guided trip as there is nothing that particularly takes our fancy, is Limassol easy to get to & around yourself or is it best to do something as a group?

Thanks

Julie

Hi - we are due to visit Limassol and we didn't particularly want to a guided trip as there is nothing that particularly takes our fancy, is Limassol easy to get to & around yourself or is it best to do something as a group?

Thanks

Julie

There really isn't much to see in Limassol itself and the port is away from anything. I suggest you take a taxi tour visiting Kourion and Apollo hylates. Also, if you arrive in winter, it is dark before 5.

Five hours is a short port visit. As I recall, we walked out of the terminal and caught a public bus that took about 15 minutes to get to the main part of town. We strolled the area, had a nice lunch in a cafe, and bought some very reasonabally priced souveniers. You could do this in 4 hours, or so.

We had only from 8 to 1 in port. We rented vans and drivers from Christours and went to Paphos and Kourion with a quick look at Aphrodite's Rock and the outside of the castle at Kolossi. We got back to the ship in plenty of time.

Some in our group walked around Paphos instead of touring the Roman sites there. They enjoyed this lovely resort town. However the Roman mosaics at Paphos and Kourion were at least as special if not better than those in Herculaneum and the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, and that is saying something.

Christours provided drivers and not guides. Our driver did tell us a lot about Cyprus while we were driving, so ask for an English speaking driver. We also got them to agree to take cash (Euros) at the end of the trip and not pay a deposit in advance.

We had only from 8 to 1 in port. We rented vans and drivers from Christours and went to Paphos and Kourion with a quick look at Aphrodite's Rock and the outside of the castle at Kolossi. We got back to the ship in plenty of time.

Some in our group walked around Paphos instead of touring the Roman sites there. They enjoyed this lovely resort town. However the Roman mosaics at Paphos and Kourion were at least as special if not better than those in Herculaneum and the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, and that is saying something.

Christours provided drivers and not guides. Our driver did tell us a lot about Cyprus while we were driving, so ask for an English speaking driver. We also got them to agree to take cash (Euros) at the end of the trip and not pay a deposit in advance.

We were also in Limassol for that time and Christours left us stranded on the dock as they did a no show. That was despite emails and phone calls.

Fortunately we found an old cab which took us around for 5 hours.

How to ruin a reputation! When I was researching last year, I could find no postings for private tour companies in Cyprus. I did some research and found Christours. We ended up needing two vans. They were there on time and everything went well.

So I guess people will have to take a chance on them, or take a chance on finding taxis (probably quite likely) or rent a car. I had read that many do rent cars, but I did not want to worry about driving on the left. The main roads, however, were mostly empty last November.

Archived