Back to Wind Star?

RMS Olympic

I sailed Wind Star cruises way back...in Tahiti.

Since then it has been Star Clipper line, twice with RSVP and once mainstream.

I was under the impression WindStar ships had gone down hill and at their price point did not consider them anymore.

Now that all changes!

Was I shocked to see they are buying the three Seabourn small ships!!!!!

I expected Carnivor to sell them, but expected Sea Dream to gobble them up.

To read Wind Star has decided to purchase them.......well blow wind up my sails:cool:

So I looked their site over.......shocked to see how their sailing ships have been redone........

As I am not into big ships.......no size queen here......perhaps the Wind Star fleet is in my future.

Will look to book a late 2014 caribbean cruise on the Spirit or Star, then a 2015 sailing on one of the newly purchased Seabourn ships.

Now if only RSVP would go back to Wind Star.....:rolleyes:

Anyone out there been on Wind Star lately?????

• 2 weeks later...

I went on Windstar about 2 yrs ago (Total 4 times). I felt the ship needed some work but overall was nice. I love the size. The employees are wonderful which made up for some of the shortcoming. Seems there is always some "friends" on there... I am also so excited to see they have been redone! I am going on April 28 (Rome/Rome). So excited to see how they have been remodeled. And SOOO excited to hear that they also bought the 3 yachts!

Please write a review of your April cruise.

I must admit I am fired up about Wind Star and if I didnt have the Royal Princess booked for this November I would be booking a Dec cruise on Windstar. So its on my 2014 to do list. requested a 2013 brochure to wet my appetitie, but it seems to be slow being delivered.

I am hoping that the single surcharge will be modified in the future....currently 175% as compared to Seabourns 150%. I know you get what you pay for, but it does get pricey depending on itinerary.

But as soon as the late 2014 caribbean schedule is set.....I will book!

Then I can take my Wind Song t-shirts out of the vault and wear them on board......and have the crew ask about this seemingly unknown vessel.:rolleyes:

Tom

Loved my Windstar cruise a few years ago, and I have to admit the recent refit of the ships has made them better looking than ever.

My main concern about sailing on Windstar under the ownership of Xanterra is regarding the owner of the company. His name is Philip Anschutz. From what I have read so far he has been no friend of the gay community. Typically I don't like to support businesses that have owners that have been outspoken against my rights, but I'm still researching Anschutz. Most of what I can find about him being anti-gay is from years ago, but I'm not liking what I have found so far.

I fully understand your feelings. Similar to that, I refuse to get off a ship in Jamaica because of their treatment and stand towards the LGBT community....not to mention safety.

However, if the crew and passengers on WindStar are welcoming...then the hell to the individual you speak of. I guess I am tired of giving power to people like this.......if the crew treats me well.......then I can overlook the ignorance.

Perhaps LGBT cruisers that have sailed this line since the new ownership took over can shed some light on how they were treated.

Regardless....I respect your feelings.

If you come up with any serious public statements expressing anti gay attitudes, please let me know. I would love to quote them in a letter to the office of customer relations and ask if this should impact my return to their product. How they respond could speak volumes and then keep me going back to Star Clipper instead.

Thanks for your comments:cool:

Tom

I was on a B2B on the Surf last summer and it was in wonderful shape. They had finished the cabin refits but not the public areas. There were a few places showing their age, but nothing so much that it was a detriment or made her look tatty. Everything was spotless clean.

We can't wait to sail on her again, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest Wind Star to anyone.

...then the hell to the individual you speak of. I guess I am tired of giving power to people like this.......if the crew treats me well.......then I can overlook the ignorance.

For me, lining the pockets of an individual that financially supports organizations that vehemently work to curtail and oppose my rights is giving the power. Money is power, and Xanterra who owns Windstar is a private company owned by Anshultz. Basically the money goes right to him.

As for the crew I don't hold them responsible or accountable in any way. Most are from a foreign country and I seriously doubt they have any awareness of the political and social views of the owner of a company. They are there just to do a job and I'm sure they treat ALL the passengers extremely well and with respect. I have no fears about how I will be treated on Windstar. I pretty much know it will be very well. The crew is awesome. My concern is financially supporting a man that has been fairly open (at least based on what I have read) about opposing gay marriage and gay rights in general.

Perhaps LGBT cruisers that have sailed this line since the new ownership took over can shed some light on how they were treated.

I'm not gay, but one of our frequent travel companions is. He was on the B2B with us last summer and he was treated just like we were--fantastic "at your service" attitudes by the entire crew. He loved it so much that he cruised with Wind Star again in the Caribbean a few weeks ago, and is planning on another cruise with them later in the year.

Archived