Last minute sailing, do prices drop?

We are looking at taking short cruise that leaves in 10 days. There are rooms still availabe, but they are still priced higher than we would like to pay. Does anyone know if they will drop the price a couple of days before the sailing in order to fill up the ship? :confused:

We are looking at taking short cruise that leaves in 10 days. There are rooms still availabe, but they are still priced higher than we would like to pay. Does anyone know if they will drop the price a couple of days before the sailing in order to fill up the ship? :confused:

It depends, if there is demand for the type of room you are looking for, the price will go up.

It always depends on the cruise line and the cruise.

Don't assume that just because rooms are readily available that berths are. Remember that they sell "guarantees" which they get to place last in order to keep room selection available.

Some cruise lines will sell off their extra berths in different ways. Princess often will send emails to their customers who make last-minute sails. Royal Caribbean will have some cruises on last-minute "Hot Deals". But they can also sell the berths off to a consolidator who can fill them in one particular area and not affect prices elsewhere.

Often, as the cruise gets closer, prices will actually start to increase.

It depends, if there is demand for the type of room you are looking for, the price will go up.

Don't you think if there is demand for the type of room they're looking for, with 10 or fewer days til they leave, that the rooms will then sell out, therefore an increase in price can't happen as there is no longer a product or service to offer? This isn't a replenishable product, it's finite.

Don't you think if there is demand for the type of room they're looking for, with 10 or fewer days til they leave, that the rooms will then sell out, therefore an increase in price can't happen as there is no longer a product or service to offer? This isn't a replenishable product, it's finite.

As the cabins dwindle down, the prices creep up. And then it's sold out.

And you're left at home wishing you had booked 10 days earlier.

Just go with it and be happy.

Not within 10 days,too much paperwork,more so with a short cruise, price is usually capped.

I booked my last cruise 2 weeks before sailing and we had looked at prices a week before that but didn't book and the prices went up. That was with NCL. They sold out of any interior and oceanview's so we booked a balcony. I guess it depends on what cabin you are looking at. THe lower priced cabins usually sell out. It has happened to me twice now thought where I don't book it when I am looking and the prices go up. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

just be aware most cruise prices go up. You'd think they would give away the cabin just to make "some" money, but they don't.

I think the farther away you book, the better.

I clicked on Nov 2008 cruises on one of the websites by mistake. I meant to click on Nov 2007. I couldn't believe how cheap the prices were, 7 nights Caribbean for $399!!! (inside of course)

As airline staff we only travel if their are seats available on the flight so we can only book our cruise quite late. I normally wait until five weeks before and then book, i normally get a good rate and also have an idea how the flight looks. I have been watching my cruise and the prices went down on the sixth and fifth week before sailing, now it has risen considerably.

My last cruise increased in price in the final month too. However it was at it's absolute lowest just after final payment came due (say two to three months prior to cruise date).

For next summer, I see no bargains. I'm tempted to wait and try for a late booking bargain.

June 2005 I booked Norwegian Dawn last minute and got a bargain. I had a choice of an Alaskan route too. June 2006 I saw a repeat. June 2007, I vaguely remember seeing some too just not sure; I wish I had paid closer attention. Too late now. Did you get a super deal for a cruise this summer?

Archived