Plaka Restaurant Recommendation?

kccrzr

Can anyone suggest a good restaurant in the Plaka area of Athens? We prefer one which has great traditional Greek seafood dishes - an outdoor patio would be a definite plus! Thanks.

There are literally dozens of restaurants similar to what you describe in the Plaka area.

I spent 4 days in Athens post-cruise last September, staying in a hotel on the edge of the Plaka area. I went with a list of restaurants but truly only found one of them to stand out from the crowd of others in any way. (And it wasn't located in the Plaka.) So my suggestion would be to simply walk around and look at various restaurants/menus until you find one that appeals to you.

Can anyone suggest a good restaurant in the Plaka area of Athens? We prefer one which has great traditional Greek seafood dishes - an outdoor patio would be a definite plus! Thanks.

cruisemom42: There are literally dozens of restaurants similar to what you describe in the Plaka area. So my suggestion would be to simply walk around and look at various restaurants/menus until you find one that appeals to you.

Agree with Cynthia's wise suggestion. Lots and lots of great options in the charming Plaka. Walk around' date=' let your eye be the judge. One secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. And/or, then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. [b']If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good.[/b] Or maybe even better! We ate several times in the Plaka during our three days in Athens and loved this super area. Below are some of my visual examples.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,625 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athen’s historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

Mythos is the beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

We do not often recommend specific restaurants but in this case its an easy choice (at least for us). The place we really like is called Daphne's at its located right on the edge of the Plaka. Your hotel concierge will be very familiar with this place and can get you a reservation. If the weather is favorable make sure you ask for a restaurant in their outdoor garden area. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.daphnesrestaurant.gr/en/

Hank

Try the Byzantine Tavern on Kidathineon St. It's on the corner (there is a church across the side street) right across from a park (square). This is the heart of the Plaka. It has sidewalk tables and very good, typical food. Again, it is one of many on the street, but it was highly recommended by Greek friends. We enjoyed it.

If you are looking for a very upmarket experience and great food, go to Aristera-Dexia (Left-Right) on Tzaferi St in the Rouf district. Take a taxi.

Our group of 8 who cruised last September met in Athens the night before embarkation and ate at Psaras Fish Tavern, based on recommendations on these boards. I am not a real "foodie" but we were all somewhat disappointed in the food-the location is good, service was slow and not very attentive.

I agree with Cruisemom-just walk around and pick one that looks good and has customers-there are lots to choose from!

Archived