Chacchoben- YES or NO

wack001

We went last June with David and Ivan. Ivan was our guide. I was very impressed by the tour and my family had a lot of fun also. While I can not say we are world travlers...we have been to quite a few carib islands and to Hawaii twice. It has been by far my favorite tour. The pyramids are impressive to say the least. I think you would enjoy yourself there. Costa Maya does not have an overabundance of activities. Unless you dive, the ruins would be my suggestion.

I toured with Ivan & David last year and reccomended to them to my brother who went last week. It was the highlight of thier cruise. They are very informative and have stories of childhood they share as they both grew up there.............at least I know 100% that Ivan did as he was our tour guide. The ruins are interseting but the stories they tell make them even more so. I love this place and have been there 2 times, I plan to return someday. The tour is awesome, well worth the money and it is so affordable, I cant say enough good things. GO! You will be happy you did!

Paradisegirl summed it up pretty well. We had Ivan as our guide, too. Because he grew up in the area and is of Mayan descent (I believe the same is true for David), he's got a really unique view of the area. We learned a lot about the Mayan culture of the past and of the present.

YES!!! We were on the Miracle in June. We love Mayan ruins. We had already been to Tulum twice and Altun Ha once, so this time we planned on Xunantunich and Chacchoben (Costa Maya).

However, DH ended up in the hospital less than a month before the cruise and we needed to scale back our plans to do less walking. So we went to Altun Ha instead of Xunantunich (which I think would have been more spectacular.)

Out of all those, I loved the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya the most. (Booked through David and Ivan.) They had an 'Indiana Jones' feel to them since they are in a rain forest. When you walk into Tulum and Altun Ha, you see everything in the distance. At Chacchoben, you keep discovering huge ruins you didn't see until you were close to them. They (and Altun Ha) weren't discovered until the 1950's or 1960's so there are still a lot of unexcavated ruins.

Archived