Soft drink policy

Coralsugar

Can someone help me to uderstand drinking rules at the ship-Carnival.

I read that sodas are extra and people can bring their water or soda at embarkation before cruise.

So if iam having any meal in MDR or at Lido I have to pay extra for water or soda to drink with my meal?

If I order room service, for example breakfast with coffee I dont pay for food, only for coffee?

It confusing for me as to which drinks are free and which arent.

If I want to drink tea and order room service hot water and supply my tea bags do I still have to pay?

Thank you

And I can get those anytime? Either at MDR, lido buffet or room service?

Im puzzled then why people would bother to bring their waters abd sodas on board?

Honestly I am trying to avoid bringing case of water with me. We are coming to port via car rental shuttle bus, if would be difficult for us to bring heavy drinks on top of our luggage.

Some folks think bottled water is "better" than tap water. It isn't. If you aren't one of them, there's no need to bring water. If you feel the need to take water ashore, bring a refillable bottle.

Soda isn't free on a ship, so some folks will bring their own, rather than buy it as needed. If you aren't a big soda drinker, certainly buying one now and again won't "break the bank".

My travel agent suggested to me that each member in my group pack a plastic water bottle that you can re-fill. That way, you avoid packing numerous bottles that you'll just throw out.

This is exactly what we do for water. We just fill up our sports water bottles up with ice and some water for shore excursion days.

People like to bring there own soda to save money. If you have 4 ppl in your party and you each bring on 12 sodas, that is 48 sodas they did not have to purchase. Also some people are picky. They like Pepsi for instance but the ship only carries Coke products, so they will bring their preference.

Bring a reusable plastic or metal waterbottle to fill up while onboard or before going ashore. Soft drinks cards are about $6 a day for adults and $4 for children under 18. Any beverages brought on embarkation day can be confiscated if the cruise line has a policy against it.

Thank you

Im puzzled then why people would bother to bring their waters abd sodas on board?

Honestly I am trying to avoid bringing case of water with me. We are coming to port via car rental shuttle bus, if would be difficult for us to bring heavy drinks on top of our luggage.

On Carnival, regular brewed coffee was available all day, iced/hot tea were available most of the day, fruit punch/lemonade was available most of the day for no additional charge. Soda/pop always cost extra. Tap water was available all day, but bottled water was extra. Some people say they have problems with the ships de-salinated sea water, but think that most people are fine with it. I personally have never lugged on cases of water, and don't have a problem with the ship's water, so I don't see myself bringing on bottled water, but some people do.

Some folks think bottled water is "better" than tap water. It isn't. If you aren't one of them, there's no need to bring water. If you feel the need to take water ashore, bring a refillable bottle.

Soda isn't free on a ship, so some folks will bring their own, rather than buy it as needed. If you aren't a big soda drinker, certainly buying one now and again won't "break the bank".

Exactly...if you're a soda-holic like me, buying cans a la carte will break the bank, so in my case, the soda card is a good deal. I still think their soda is overpriced either way, but I can much better budget the purchase of the soda package. But considering their per drink or per can price, the soda package makes more economic sense for me.

Thank you

Coke products are sold on the ship. We're (Diet)Pepsi drinkers, so prefer to bring a few of our own. As for water, we bring a couple of refillable bottles to use on shore excursions.

Thank you

Some people are "picky" about their water...only will drink bottled water, only certain brands. And if you want bottled water, then you'd pay for it on board, so they schlepp on cases of bottled water. But the tap water is just fine. We usually buy one bottle of water, then reuse the bottle (but being VERY careful not to bring the mouth of the bottle near any dispenser on board -- filling from a glass, or in our cabin. Good way to get/spread viruses, holding your "used" bottle up to a public tap!)

Regular coffee, regular tea is free, as is most of the food you order with room service (there is a charge for some items - many lines are charging for pizza if brought to your room). There'll be a menu in the room, and it'll be clearly marked with charges, if any. So you can safely order tea and coffee. If you want "designer coffee" -- cappuchino, specialty flavors, ice-cream based, etc., -- there are generally charges for those.

Soda is another story. You do have to pay for soda. And there is an additional 15% gratuity tacked on to each can. Again, if you drink a lot, or drink a particular kind, then you might want to bring some aboard. Otherwise there are plenty of other things to drink...or you can budget accordingly, at around $2/can.

We don't drink all that much soda, and so simply budget for what we might drink, and otherwise drink water, juice, or coffee.

The first thing that I do is buy an insulated coffee mug/cup in the gift shop the night of embarkation. I then use that for my coffee from the lido buffet as I drink coffee throughout the day. Make sure if you do this though that you do not fill your cup directly from the coffee urn- fill one of the provided coffee cups and dump that into your refillable cup, which helps prevent spreading germs.

Regarding drinks and food...

Included with each passenger's fare price:

All food and snacks from the buffet, room service (cash needed for tips though), and main dining room.

Self service coffee, hot tea, iced tea, hot chocolate, lemonade, waterand sometimes a mango blend juice are free at the Lido deck buffet 24/7, with boxed milk (and soy milk) available at meal times and various other juices (OJ, apple,etc.) are available during breakfast gratis. There are also water fountains near most of the public areas for tap water. Iced tea, milk, water, coffee and hot tea (juices at breakfast only) are also served without a charge in the MDR during sit down meals, but other drinks will be at the "bar" prices. Also included gratis the MDR for meals that include dessert are espresso and cappuccino. Any drinks ordered from any bar, lounge, or wandering waitstaff even soft drinks (including the ones you could get at the self service area of the Lido) will be charged to your S&S account with a 15% auto gratuity added to the menu price.

Items that have a per item charge and must go on your S&S card once purchased onboard, no cash accepted at purchase time, you must pre-fund the account w/ cash, travelers cheques, or back w/ a credit/debit card (embossed w/ a pax name from the booking) for end of cruise billing. A few costs maybe pre-paid prior to boarding so you final S&S bill does not seem large.

Drinks (I have included the auto grat as part of the total):

Sodas, basic bottled water, and juices (from a lounge or bar) = $2.24. Available for pre-purchase from the Bon Voyage Dept. are soda tickets at 4 for $7.75 and the Bottomless Bubbles sticker at $6.90 + the port's local tax per day for the length of the cruise. The BB sticker may also be purchased on board the day of embarkation and the first full day of the cruise only.

Powerade & Vitamin water= $3.39

Imported & sparkling bottled water = $3.73 -$5.46

Espresso = $2.01 - $2.30 + flavor shots @ $0.58 each

Iced Coffees, Lattes, Cappuccino, and Chai = $2.88 - $3.74 + flavor shots @ $0.58 each

Liquored Coffee = $5.17

Milkshakes = $4.54

Smoothies and virgin drinks = $5.46

Beer = $4.54 - $7.76 per can/bottle you can save $2 off buy purchasing a bucket of 4 at a time (mix and matching allowed)

Cordials & Shots = $5.68 - 11.44

Mixed drinks normal glass = $8.34 - $11.44

Souvenir glass drinks both the virgin and DODs types = $8.62 - $16.04, the 2.0 upgrade ships have speciality bars that have their own souvenir glasses & I've heard that the first drink in them can go as much as $24.00. Refills can be less if you re-use the souvenir glass, most of the time close the normal glass drink price.

Wine per glass= $6.33 - $12.08

Wine per bottle = ther are many choices but they tend to start at around $30 per bottle and go up from there.

There is available for pre-purchase from the BV dept. a set of bar tickets at 4 for $23.00 and these act as $5.75 gift certicates towards the purchase of drinks at any bar, lounge, or in the MDR lowering the amount charged to your S&S card.

Food:

The steakhouse (if available) = $30 per person (and well worth IMHO for a special occassion or romantic evening)

The newer 2.0 Funships also have at least 1 speciality cafe (Guy's Burgers) that charge a premium for food ordered from there ta various prices per plate.

Snacks and sweets from the coffee shop, the Funshops, and Formalities = $1 (a big cookie) to $65 (canapes & wine in cabin)

Things you may want to have small bills in cash for.

Tipping:

Room service and scattered tips onboard = it's unclear if the room service people receive any of the funds from the auto-gratuities pool so we always tip a $1-$2 per plate of food delivered and $0.50 - $1 per included drinks. At fee drinks will be billed at the normal bar price & have the normal 15% added (so no extra cash for that from us).

On occassion we receive (or want to receive) extra service so we will tip drink waiters and some other assorted crew members an extra $1 or $2 as we travel (especially at the free drink events/parties).

We also tip the cabin steward and the MDR wait staff extra in cash near the end of the cruise based on how much, we feel, they pampered us beyond the amount they receive from the auto-gratuities.

Regarding drinks and food...

Included with each passenger's fare price:

All food and snacks from the buffet, room service (cash needed for tips though), and main dining room.

Self service coffee, hot tea, iced tea, hot chocolate, lemonade, waterand sometimes a mango blend juice are free at the Lido deck buffet 24/7, with boxed milk (and soy milk) available at meal times and various other juices (OJ, apple,etc.) are available during breakfast gratis. There are also water fountains near most of the public areas for tap water. Iced tea, milk, water, coffee and hot tea (juices at breakfast only) are also served without a charge in the MDR during sit down meals, but other drinks will be at the "bar" prices. Also included gratis the MDR for meals that include dessert are espresso and cappuccino. Any drinks ordered from any bar, lounge, or wandering waitstaff even soft drinks (including the ones you could get at the self service area of the Lido) will be charged to your S&S account with a 15% auto gratuity added to the menu price.

Items that have a per item charge and must go on your S&S card once purchased onboard, no cash accepted at purchase time, you must pre-fund the account w/ cash, travelers cheques, or back w/ a credit/debit card (embossed w/ a pax name from the booking) for end of cruise billing. A few costs maybe pre-paid prior to boarding so you final S&S bill does not seem large.

Drinks (I have included the auto grat as part of the total):

Sodas, basic bottled water, and juices (from a lounge or bar) = $2.24. Available for pre-purchase from the Bon Voyage Dept. are soda tickets at 4 for $7.75 and the Bottomless Bubbles sticker at $6.90 + the port's local tax per day for the length of the cruise. The BB sticker may also be purchased on board the day of embarkation and the first full day of the cruise only.

Powerade & Vitamin water= $3.39

Imported & sparkling bottled water = $3.73 -$5.46

Espresso = $2.01 - $2.30 + flavor shots @ $0.58 each

Iced Coffees, Lattes, Cappuccino, and Chai = $2.88 - $3.74 + flavor shots @ $0.58 each

Liquored Coffee = $5.17

Milkshakes = $4.54

Smoothies and virgin drinks = $5.46

Beer = $4.54 - $7.76 per can/bottle you can save $2 off buy purchasing a bucket of 4 at a time (mix and matching allowed)

Cordials & Shots = $5.68 - 11.44

Mixed drinks normal glass = $8.34 - $11.44

Souvenir glass drinks both the virgin and DODs types = $8.62 - $16.04, the 2.0 upgrade ships have speciality bars that have their own souvenir glasses & I've heard that the first drink in them can go as much as $24.00. Refills can be less if you re-use the souvenir glass, most of the time close the normal glass drink price.

Wine per glass= $6.33 - $12.08

Wine per bottle = ther are many choices but they tend to start at around $30 per bottle and go up from there.

There is available for pre-purchase from the BV dept. a set of bar tickets at 4 for $23.00 and these act as $5.75 gift certicates towards the purchase of drinks at any bar, lounge, or in the MDR lowering the amount charged to your S&S card.

Food:

The steakhouse (if available) = $30 per person (and well worth IMHO for a special occassion or romantic evening)

The newer 2.0 Funships also have at least 1 speciality cafe (Guy's Burgers) that charge a premium for food ordered from there ta various prices per plate.

Snacks and sweets from the coffee shop, the Funshops, and Formalities = $1 (a big cookie) to $65 (canapes & wine in cabin)

Things you may want to have small bills in cash for.

Tipping:

Room service and scattered tips onboard = it's unclear if the room service people receive any of the funds from the auto-gratuities pool so we always tip a $1-$2 per plate of food delivered and $0.50 - $1 per included drinks. At fee drinks will be billed at the normal bar price & have the normal 15% added (so no extra cash for that from us).

On occassion we receive (or want to receive) extra service so we will tip drink waiters and some other assorted crew members an extra $1 or $2 as we travel (especially at the free drink events/parties).

We also tip the cabin steward and the MDR wait staff extra in cash near the end of the cruise based on how much, we feel, they pampered us beyond the amount they receive from the auto-gratuities.

Overall, excellent information, but for first time cruisers, please keep in mind that the info quoted above is from Carnival Cruise Lines. Other cruise lines may be slightly different and different pricing, but the basics are the same. Other cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean and NCL have more extra-cost dining options, and may have other specialty shops, such as pastries, cupcakes, etc., that Carnival may not offer.

Overall, excellent information, but for first time cruisers, please keep in mind that the info quoted above is from Carnival Cruise Lines. Other cruise lines may be slightly different and different pricing, but the basics are the same. Other cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean and NCL have more extra-cost dining options, and may have other specialty shops, such as pastries, cupcakes, etc., that Carnival may not offer.

Though not posted directly to the Carnival section of the board the OP did ask specifically about a Carnival.

Following your logic that if a poster asks questions about a specific cruiseline or ship under First Time Cruisers they are only due answers that are vague and applicable to all cruiselines or a post so long that the information is lost in a jumble that includes every situation for all cruises.

So my only infraction is not identifying my post as being geared specifically to Carnival's ships that set sail from the USA. But in my defense since the OP first question identified Carnival as being the cruiseline they are asking about, I would hope the direction of the thread would be Carnival centric and that the intelligence of the average reader here on CC could connect the first line of the whole thread to the answers given.

Can someone help me to uderstand drinking rules at the ship-Carnival.

I read that sodas are extra and people can bring their water or soda at embarkation before cruise.

So if iam having any meal in MDR or at Lido I have to pay extra for water or soda to drink with my meal?

If I order room service, for example breakfast with coffee I dont pay for food, only for coffee?

It confusing for me as to which drinks are free and which arent.

If I want to drink tea and order room service hot water and supply my tea bags do I still have to pay?

Archived