Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Here's the route in pictures...

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

OMG! If they can't find it now, the must be visually impaired. Great work!!!

(Could you possibly go there and collect some and leave a little pile so they won't have to bend over to find it???)

Recommend that this be made a sticky.

SBtS

I agree!! But wait....if too many people find out about this place....

I was also wondering why there is so much at this one particular spot, though I assume it has something to do with the currents and tides. But where does this massive amount of glass come from and how long has it been tumbling around in the ocean?

Hi Cat,

Actually, I can do you one better!

I was passing through the Dockyard Arts and Crafts exhibit/sales room next to Frog and Onion (okay, yeah, I was going for a pint...) at the weekend, and some local artist has made kind of paintings from seaglass. Don't know what you call that sort of thing, but it would certainly save you a walk!

@kubauc - I have absolutely no idea why there is so much - and there must be well over a ton in weight there. And as someone pointed out on the original thread - if you dig into the sand, there's even more! It's a mystery!

Have Fun!

OMG! If they can't find it now, the must be visually impaired. Great work!!!

(Could you possibly go there and collect some and leave a little pile so they won't have to bend over to find it???)

:D Good one, Catl331!!!

Thanks SO much for these directions, 32n64w! Now we MUST MUST MUST get back to Bermuda SOON SOON SOON!! :p

Hi Karma,

Actually, I'm not sure - the turn onto Cochrane Road from the bridge has "no entry" painted on the road, but the actual "no Entry" signs have recently been covered over. There is so little traffic on this road it probably doesn't matter (and visitors on mopeds can get away with anything).

But if you look at the map, you can go out on the main road (Cockburn Road), then turn right into Cochrane Road where they meet (that tiny bit of road directly under the "h" in "Sea Glass Beach", then immediately left onto the road behind the houses (where the trees with big roots are), and you're back on track.

Clear? Maybe?

Have Fun!

Edited by 32N64W

Actually, I'm not sure - the turn onto Cochrane Road from the bridge has "no entry" painted on the road, but the actual "no Entry" signs have recently been covered over. There is so little traffic on this road it probably doesn't matter (and visitors on mopeds can get away with anything).

But if you look at the map, you can go out on the main road (Cockburn Road), then turn right into Cochrane Road where they meet (that tiny bit of road directly under the "h" in "Sea Glass Beach", then immediately left onto the road behind the houses (where the trees with big roots are), and you're back on track.

Thanks 32N64W. I'm not use to this end of the island. I use to spend a lot of time down in St George's when I was younger.

Me too......and I thought only woman gave directions using this type of reference or landmark.:D

Hi Singing & IHeart,

Normally I give directions using bars and pubs as landmarks, but there aren't any, otherwise I would. So "trees with big roots" it is!

Have Fun!

It slays me! :D I just love it! And, by the way, it is EXACTLY how I give directions...:rolleyes:

After leaving Kauai and looking for sea glass and other objects, I found out there there was a sea glass beach on the southern shore. there used to be a local dump in the 50's near there and the glass keeps breaking up and coming to this area due to currents. I don't know why there is one in Bermuda but....

My mother lived in that area when she was a child and said there was an unofficial neighbourhood dump near Sea Glass Beach back then. The former Sally Port Dump, which was located just up the road a ways, was where a LOT of people used to dump their garbage so I imagine a fair bit came from there as well. Sally Port was in operation until the early 80's.

Thank you for these wonderful directions and for your help elsewhere here on Cruise Critic! We are returning to Bermuda on 7/20 on X's Summit- our DD will be married by the Captain the day before. We have visited Bermuda many times- either cruising or staying for a week, and every time we are impressed by how the locals view tourists- with smiles, open arms, and good natured sighs at our many quirks (and driving errors). So many tourist areas have lost this attitude- they love our money but would prefer that we just send our wallets and leave ourselves somewhere else.

We have a group of 33 onboard for the wedding; many have never cruised and several have never left the USA. I know they will be thrilled with Bermuda's beauty, and the beautiful welcome they receive from everyone they meet.

Again- thanks for your help!

We walked from Dockyard to Seaglass Beach on Monday. There is no sign (I think it was knocked to the ground) where you turn off the road to walk down into the woods. Also, as you walk through the woods to the beach, be prepared that it is sadly littered with lots of garbage, broken-down scooters, old motors, etc. There was so much garbage that I really thought we were on the wrong path.

Once we got to the beach, I couldn't believe how much glass there was. I can't stress how plentiful it is. It's like there's more glass than sand. I'll try to post a couple pictures later.

We were the only two people there (except for a local man working off to the side on his small boat). We waded around and filled up a couple Ziploc bags and my boyfriend had a quick swim.

It was a great private place to visit.

We walked from Dockyard to Seaglass Beach on Monday. There is no sign (I think it was knocked to the ground) where you turn off the road to walk down into the woods. Also, as you walk through the woods to the beach, be prepared that it is sadly littered with lots of garbage, broken-down scooters, old motors, etc. There was so much garbage that I really thought we were on the wrong path.

Once we got to the beach, I couldn't believe how much glass there was. I can't stress how plentiful it is. It's like there's more glass than sand. I'll try to post a couple pictures later.

We were the only two people there (except for a local man working off to the side on his small boat). We waded around and filled up a couple Ziploc bags and my boyfriend had a quick swim.

How long did it take you to walk there??? I can't wait! Were there interesting colours of glass at this beach?!?

What are you going to do with your loot? I have mine in glass dishes here and there around the house. Have also played around with making some jewelry.

I'm also awaiting a trip report when you have the time.;):)

What are you going to do with your loot? I have mine in glass dishes here and there around the house. Have also played around with making some jewelry.

I'm also awaiting a trip report when you have the time.;):)

Hi, Colette! How are you?? Drop me an email when you have time.

I'm thinking of buying some plain picture frames and gluing the glass onto the wood of the frames and using them to display my Bermuda pictures. We also bought a couple of the light green antique "marble bottles" that are stamped "J.H.P. Patterson Somerset Bermuda" with dates (we got a 1901 and a 1902) to put some of the glass in. I really wanted to buy a glass bowl in the glass-blowing factory but I was shocked at the prices and was leary of items making it home in one piece. Also, everything was very colorful and wouldn't have displayed my glass very well.

I just typed a review. I'm going to post it tonight after I proofread it.

How long did it take you to walk there??? I can't wait! Were there interesting colours of glass at this beach?!?

I'm going to say it took us a good 45 minutes to walk there, although we went too far and had to backtrack because the sign was down. A nice local gentleman pointed us in the right direction. It was so hot the day we went. I recommend taking a bottle of water with you. Also, you'll see a lot of cats and chickens as you walk there.

As for colors, there are lots of greens, ambers and clears. I couldn't find any true reds. I found one or two of what I would describe as aqua.

Hi Kelj,

Err, you were on the wrong path. My route is on the road.

What you managed to do is get onto the nasty little footpath that hugs the shore through the trees. Thank you for bringing this up so others don't get caught the same way!

Have Fun!