Can you recommend a nice bottle of wine that won't break the bank?

wannago35

I'm not a big wine drinker, usually use it to make sangria & just go for Sutter Home or whatever's on sale so its always a crap shoot what I end up with.

Looking for recommendations on a nice white and a nice red, nothing bitter but not too sweet either. The birthday girl recommended something named Moscato in a blue bottle so I was gonna buy a bottle tonight to test out.

Not looking to break the bank either, don't wanna spend more than $30 a bottle, tops. Would rather spend much less!

Thanks!

We cruise in 14 days! :)

Pacific Rim sweet riesling. It's not too sweet despite the name, the company also makes a dry Riesling, and I think the name is to distinguish the two. Muscato is good too, I just tried it for the first time a few

weeks ago, and thought it a bit sweeter than the other I mentioned. I'm not a fan of red, so I can't help you there. The price on the Pacific Rim ranges from $10-12 depending on where I'm shopping

Im not a big wine fan... I just dont enjoy the taste. However, I did find I really like Berenger's White Zinfendel. At home I buy 6 bottles for 19.99 at costco. The ship has it for $30 a bottle.

Golan Heights is a very nice white wine. Hard to find...most stores will order it if you ask. Several stores in my area never sold it, but when my friend and I asked they started selling it. Manager said they can't keep it on the shelves. :)

Bartenur is a nice moscato also. (Blue bottle)

With Red Wine...Banfi Chianti...very nice...not sweet...dry...fruity...smooth

usually around 14-25...or any Reserva Chianti

I do not drink White...but if I was...any good Pinot Grigio

My best advise is to ask you local...yes local mom and pop Liquor store for advise...they can best help you with what they carry and most "test" their product...well at least the ones I go to

Enjoy

If you have a total wine in your area, they are very knowledgeable and will give you great guidance in picking a wine. Cavitts is a good wine in both pinot grigio as well as pinot noir-a soft red wine. Runs 8 to 12 a bottle.

Pat

If you have a total wine in your area, they are very knowledgeable and will give you great guidance in picking a wine. Cavitts is a good wine in both pinot grigio as well as pinot noir-a soft red wine. Runs 8 to 12 a bottle.

Pat

Total Wine is awesome!

It all depends on the food. On Carnival they do a wine pairing class to show you what goes with what. For example, there are some Reds that go well with Salmon and some whites that go well with meat.

When you get on the ship sign up for that. Its definitely worth it. The range of wines they use for the wine pairing vary from inexpensive to $40 per bottle.

I really like un-oaked Chardonnay since it isnt too bitter and smoky. Try St. Supery Chardonnay. Bevmo has it and it usually around $25. Very easy to drink!

I also don't care for a very oaked Chardonnay, so I drink Woodbridge Chardonnay at home $13-15 per bottle and that's what I drink on the ship too for $5.95 per glass.

Occasionally if I'm eating something heavier or richer I'll go for the Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay but it a bit oakier.

I have never developed a palate for red's and I drink white with everything.

White - Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio - anywhere from $18.99 - $26.99. My all time fav! Dry wine with hints of Golden Delicious apples. From Italy.

Castello del Poggio Moscato D'Asti (It is DELICIOUS!) - $13.99-$25.99. From Italy

Red - Schlink Haus Sweet Red (it's not too sweet to me) $8.99-$9.99. Full bodied with blackberry flavors. From Germany.

Golan Heights is a very nice white wine. Hard to find...most stores will order it if you ask. Several stores in my area never sold it, but when my friend and I asked they started selling it. Manager said they can't keep it on the shelves. :)

Bartenur is a nice moscato also. (Blue bottle)

Bartenura is good.

Another brand to try is Charles Shaw at Trader Joe's, if there is one near you. It's nickname is Two Buck Chuck. If you don't like it you are only out two bucks!:p

Bartenura is good.

Another brand to try is Charles Shaw at Trader Joe's, if there is one near you. It's nickname is Two Buck Chuck. If you don't like it you are only out two bucks!:p

I thought is was $2.99 now, that's $3 bucks!

:D

White - Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio - anywhere from $18.99 - $26.99. My all time fav! Dry wine with hints of Golden Delicious apples. From Italy.

Castello del Poggio Moscato D'Asti (It is DELICIOUS!) - $13.99-$25.99. From Italy

Red - Schlink Haus Sweet Red (it's not too sweet to me) $8.99-$9.99. Full bodied with blackberry flavors. From Germany.

I was just going to recommend a Sweet Red since the OP isn't normally a wine drinker. It's not quite as dry as most reds.

In white, I like Francis Ford Coppola's Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay. It is mid-range in price between $10-$15/bottle depending on where you go. I also like Moscato D'Asti because it tends to be less syrupy sweet then regular Moscato--which is why it is usually a dessert wine.

OP-since you aren't normally a wine drinker and don't have a preference you might try Seven Daughters. They have both a Red and White--basically they mix seven different varieties. For people who don't drink wine drier varieties are what tend to turn them off and IMHO these seem to be less dry.They are mid range as well about $15/bottle depending where you buy it.

It all depends on the food. On Carnival they do a wine pairing class to show you what goes with what. For example, there are some Reds that go well with Salmon and some whites that go well with meat.

When you get on the ship sign up for that. Its definitely worth it. The range of wines they use for the wine pairing vary from inexpensive to $40 per bottle.

Really? how much is this class I'm sure it's not free or everybody would go lol.

Thanks to you and to everyone for your responses, keep em coming! :)

Archived