What to do in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico

newtocruise11

There is no Progresso without an excursion, the cruise ship dock is at a man made island with a few shops and a parking lot at the end of an about 4 mile long causeway before getting to the security gate and the town of Progresso. (it is not much of a town).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Progreso,+Yucat%C3%A1n,+Mexico&sll=30.828194,-93.240814&sspn=0.535382,1.234589&ie=UTF8&geocode=FQC1RAEdkL6n-g&split=0&hq=&hnear=Progreso,+Yucat%C3%A1n,+Mexico&ll=21.316723,-89.674873&spn=0.072602,0.154324&t=h&z=13

Ike

p.s. the cruise ship terminal is on the smaller of the 2 man made islands in the google map link

Edited by PenguinLife

I spent a few days in the Progresso area a couple of years ago (not part of a cruise).

Progresso is pretty much a slum. You can get relatively inexpensive food, drink and a massage from vendors staked out at the end of the pier. Beaches are not so good. Off beach, security would be a concern for females.

They run continuous free shuttles between the ships and the town, so it's no big deal being so far out on the causeway. True, there's not much to the town. When Carnival first started going there, they went all out for cruisers. They threw a huge party all around the beach, and it was so awesome there! I loved it there in 2004. Then, when it became a regular cruise stop, it changed. Now, they don't do much, except that there's more people lined up everywhere trying to sell stuff. Some people like the cheap massages on the beach. The outdoor market where the buses get off has some good buys, especially on souvenirs. We bought 4 t-shirts for $10.

Autoprogresso is who runs those free shuttles. And they also do tours, which you will be told about before getting off the shuttle. You can pay them in cash right there and go on one of their tours. We used them to go to the Ux-Mal Mayan ruins. It was nice, and we had a half-empty bus. Carnival excursions try to pack the buses tight, if they can. That Autoprogresso excursion was $49, but they have other, closer tours that are cheaper.

Progreso is like Cozumel 30 years ago, and no it's not a slum:rolleyes: It's one of my favorite stops and can't wait to go back in Feb!!:D The people are so happy to have visitors as it is a major source of income but I haven't found anyone unpleasant with a "no thank you" and a smile:) The beachfront has some great restaurants, all local, no chains. Most will serve you right on the beach and I love it there!! Enjoy!!

Merida is one of Mexico's gems of colonial cities and it's a half hour away if you enjoy history and architecture, beautiful plazas and churches, and some "old Mexico"...

As another poster said, Autoprogreso is a reliable source of excursions if you want ruins and many other choices in and around Progreso...it's a great port for on-your-own or with a tour...

Take the shuttle into town, get the 20 minute, $3 double decker tour around the town, then take off into the city market, walk the beach, or get a cheap massage. The city market isn't the souvenir encampment near the shuttle drop. The street along the beach was under major construction last week, and looked to be so for a while, but the sidewalks are OK.

Lots of tours will be pitched near the shuttle drop, but as mentioned above, a polite "no, thank you" will work.

Merida is probably a better choice if one wants to spend most of the day "looking around".

Progreso is like Cozumel 30 years ago, and no it's not a slum:rolleyes: It's one of my favorite stops and can't wait to go back in Feb!!:D The people are so happy to have visitors as it is a major source of income but I haven't found anyone unpleasant with a "no thank you" and a smile:) The beachfront has some great restaurants, all local, no chains. Most will serve you right on the beach and I love it there!! Enjoy!!

Merida is one of Mexico's gems of colonial cities and it's a half hour away if you enjoy history and architecture, beautiful plazas and churches, and some "old Mexico"...

As another poster said, Autoprogreso is a reliable source of excursions if you want ruins and many other choices in and around Progreso...it's a great port for on-your-own or with a tour...

Floatie, I totally agree with you. I was reading some of the other posts saying what????? Op, go into town, it is as Floatie says. Cozumel before we Americanized it. People are lovely and authentic. Enjoy.

I spent a few days in the Progresso area a couple of years ago (not part of a cruise).

Progresso is pretty much a slum. You can get relatively inexpensive food, drink and a massage from vendors staked out at the end of the pier. Beaches are not so good. Off beach, security would be a concern for females.

Wow... were we in the same Progreso? I thought it was a lovely place... not glitzy and commercial like Cozumel or Grand Cayman but friendly and tropical.

The beach is gorgeous...

Ecstasy192.jpg

Ecstasy197.jpg

Ecstasy211.jpg

and security was never an issue...

Progreso is one of my favorite ports of call... I'd go there at the drop of a hat and that hat will drop in February...

:)

There's beaches, bars, restaurants, shopping, the double-decker bus. More like real Mexico and less expensive than the 51st state - Cozumel.

Here is an example of a day in Progreso with no shore excursions. Start by jumping on one of the free shuttle buses to the city. They run continuously.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/fantasy_c_07/progreso/p.htm

I SO agree with floatingaway!!!!!

Slum :rolleyes:

OP: Go to Merida...it's fabulous.

Edited by halos

Wow... were we in the same Progreso? I thought it was a lovely place... not glitzy and commercial like Cozumel or Grand Cayman but friendly and tropical.

The beach is gorgeous...

Ecstasy192.jpg

Ecstasy197.jpg

Ecstasy211.jpg

and security was never an issue...

Progreso is one of my favorite ports of call... I'd go there at the drop of a hat and that hat will drop in February...

:)

Totally agree Mach.....as usual, you said it much better....:)

There is no Progresso without an excursion,

Incorrect. Take the free shuttle into town. From there, you can walk to the beach, or take the bus to Merida.

Floatie, I totally agree with you. I was reading some of the other posts saying what????? Op, go into town, it is as Floatie says. Cozumel before we Americanized it. People are lovely and authentic. Enjoy.

One of my favorite ports, and different from any other I have been to. Once dropped off in town, head back towards the beach, a few blocks. When you reach the beach, turn right and walk down the beach until you find an empty palapa with chairs. The restaurants provide service to these and the prices are very reasonable. My favorite is El viejo y el mar (The Old Man and the Sea). There are a few "vendors" that will try to sell you stuff, but for the most part they are respectful.

Save in-town shopping for after your beach day. They seem to be most willing to negotiate then, and you don't have to carry your stuff around with you all day.

Incorrect. Take the free shuttle into town. From there, you can walk to the beach, or take the bus to Merida.

One of my favorite ports, and different from any other I have been to. Once dropped off in town, head back towards the beach, a few blocks. When you reach the beach, turn right and walk down the beach until you find an empty palapa with chairs. The restaurants provide service to these and the prices are very reasonable. My favorite is El viejo y el mar (The Old Man and the Sea).

YES, did much the same thing. We sunned and ate and had a wonderful time. Young enterprising youth asked if he could "waiter" for us from the Restaurant (drinks and food). He ran back and forth with menus, and items. Tipped him well and spent some time talking with him about the area and what he thought about cruisers etc. It was one of the best "non-excursions days" we have ever done. :)

AH!! I couldn't wait to get home from work and find my Progreso pics!! Now I am WAY homesick to get back there!!

This is from our trip in Feb 2009 with the bloggers:D

First, the port area is cute with a little bar outside and some shopping inside the port building...there are buses that run back and forth to town, it's unbelievable how long that pier is, I will show you from town in a bit...

The little outside bar and there's a little pool too!!

IMG_2262.jpg

Elvis is still in the house here, it's retro fun, like the whole town:)

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

Then you get on the shuttle to town, compliments of AutoProgreso who sell their tours all the way down the seven mile or so ride...they drop you in front of an outdoor market but save that for last, it's the same place you go back to when you head back for the shuttle to the ship...

I suggest the double decker bus ride it's a hoot!! I read now it's 3.00 bring exact cash please...and I wait for a new bus to come so I can get upstairs and ride on top...just mind the powerlines lol....

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

Here's a bunch of crazies filling up the top of the bus while we rode around for about 20 minutes and saw the beach, the malecon, and where we knew we would head back to after the ride!! If you've never been, it's a GREAT way to get acquainted with the town!!

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Here's the apartment I wanted, it was for rent...

IMG_2272.jpg