Here to answer questions about Gate 1 MS Sound of Music.

rsachek

We are just back from a week on the Danube with Gate 1 MS Sound of Music. I am not real keen on writing reviews but would be happy to answer any specific questions that forum members might have about the boat, ports, etc. I know it was difficult for us find good info prior to the trip... So fire away!

• 4 weeks later...

You're just what I've been looking for! We are going on the MS Sound of Music in September 2013 with a group from our local area. I'll start with a few general questions:

Did you have a good time?

What was your first impression of the boat?

Were the accommodations satisfactory - I know this is not one of the new luxury boats that are cruising the European rivers but the itinerary is so fabulous, I think I won't mind that at all.

Was the staff friendly?

How was the food?

I appreciate your answers - I'm excited to hear about your trip

Mary Ann

We are just back from a week on the Danube with Gate 1 MS Sound of Music. I am not real keen on writing reviews but would be happy to answer any specific questions that forum members might have about the boat, ports, etc. I know it was difficult for us find good info prior to the trip... So fire away!

Hey a brief we loved it or it was awful would be a nice start!!! A long review is not needed but a brief paragraph would be better than nothing at all?????

Please!

Sadly, the OP has not posted anything since he made this post on Dec 2nd

You're just what I've been looking for! We are going on the MS Sound of Music in September 2013 with a group from our local area. I'll start with a few general questions:

Were the accommodations satisfactory - I know this is not one of the new luxury boats that are cruising the European rivers but the itinerary is so fabulous, I think I won't mind that at all.

Was the staff friendly?

How was the food?

I appreciate your answers - I'm excited to hear about your trip

Mary Ann

My DH and I will be on the MS Sound of Music in Sept, 2013 as well. We start our tour with a land portion including Warsaw and Krakow joining the cruise on Sept 8. See you there?

Danielle and Terry from beautiful Prince Edward Island

Danielle

Our trip is later in the month - 9/28. We are going with a group from our local area - there's around 70 of us and we didn't have a choice of cruise lines so I'm a little nervous because I've read some not so good reviews on Gate 1. Nonetheless, I know we will have a good time because of the group that we will be traveling with.

I hope the OP drops back in to answer my questions!!!

We will travel on the MS Sound of Music April 15 tour beginning in Warsaw with Gate1 and would love to see your responses to the earlier posters' questions.

Thanks,

June

OP, where are you? We just booked the April 27 sailing from Nuremburg to Budapest on the MS Sound of Music, and have many questions! :)

This is our first river cruise.

In the only picture I've seen, it didn't look like there is much in the way of furniture on the sun deck. Were there any tables and chairs for people to sit and enjoy the scenery when cruising?

Will they allow us to bring wine, beer or liquor on board for our own, in cabin consumption? I don't think there are any refigerators in the cabins. If I have my own wine, are there ice buckets and ice available?

Were the beds comfortable?

How were the included tours in the ports?

Thanks for your replies. There is so little info and few reviews out there that anything you can share would be most appreciated!

Danielle

Our trip is later in the month - 9/28. We are going with a group from our local area - there's around 70 of us and we didn't have a choice of cruise lines so I'm a little nervous because I've read some not so good reviews on Gate 1. Nonetheless, I know we will have a good time because of the group that we will be traveling with.

I hope the OP drops back in to answer my questions!!!

I have read mixed reviews as well. Generally, if everything goes well it is excellent value for money. Problems appear if "things" don't go well. We have done a few land/river cruises and had a tour organizer with us from beginning to end. Gate 1 does not offer this so if things don't do well you do not have a representative travelling with you but only have (probably limited access to) the local guides. Calling the company back in North America is also a possibility adding to some of the "problem".

No word from OP yet.......

Sorry guys! I have been so busy working. But here goes...

Was the staff friendly?

How was the food?

We had a wonderful trip. We travel alot, both on land based trips and ocean cruises but this was our first river cruise and I really enjoyed it. Would definitely do again and would definitely be willing to use Gate1 again.

The accommodations were more than satisfactory. We opted for a cabin with the picture window instead of the french balcony (really just a sliding door) because the temps were too cold to use the french balcony anyway. The window was wall-to-wall wide and about 3' tall. Cabin furniture, bathroom, etc are exactly as they are on nicer ocean going cruise ships.

Food was very good to even excellent sometimes but be warned that dinner (4 courses) portions are extremely small and this is coming from someone who is not a big eater. Breakfast and lunch are buffets which are supplemented by a few cooked to order items from a menu.

Staff was awesome. There are three cruise directors onboard. You will be assigned to a group/cruise director the first day and stick with them for the whole cruise. All of the crew were really friendly, helpful and professional.

OP, where are you? We just booked the April 27 sailing from Nuremburg to Budapest on the MS Sound of Music, and have many questions! :)

This is our first river cruise.

In the only picture I've seen, it didn't look like there is much in the way of furniture on the sun deck. Were there any tables and chairs for people to sit and enjoy the scenery when cruising?

There was very little furniture set out on the sun deck. However, the weather was so cold during our cruise that not many passengers braved going up there and if so, only briefly. I did notice that they had a ton of "stuff" stored under tarps which I am assuming was the deck furniture for nicer weather

Will they allow us to bring wine, beer or liquor on board for our own, in cabin consumption? I don't think there are any refigerators in the cabins. If I have my own wine, are there ice buckets and ice available?

Yes, you may bring on as much alcohol as you wish during the cruise. There are ice buckets in the cabin but they are tiny. If you wish to chill wine or beer, I would bring a soft cooler from home. There are two self-service ice machines on board that always had plenty of ice available during our cruise. There are no refrigerators in the cabins.

Were the beds comfortable?

Yes, very.

How were the included tours in the ports?

In most ports, they will hire local guides to narrate the tours. Some are strictly walking tours and some are a combination of bus & walking. The quality of the guides varies. Some were really funny and informative and others were pretty boring. As I mentioned earlier, you will divided into groups of approx 30-40 so experiences will vary depending on the local guide you are assigned. Tours take maybe 1-2 hours when you first arrive and then you get the rest of the day to do as you wish. Also, tours are not mandatory.

Here are some pictures of our cabin from the night we arrived. The beds do push together. Some of the other river boats that we encountered in port were definitely fancier with sleeker interiors, cabins with actual balconies, etc but on the other hand, I personally would not have paid 2x the price to cruise on them.

photo18v2.jpg

photo29k.jpg

We have done a few land/river cruises and had a tour organizer with us from beginning to end. Gate 1 does not offer this so if things don't do well you do not have a representative travelling with you but only have (probably limited access to) the local guides.

Gate1 has 3 "cruise directors" traveling on board. The cruise directors go out on every tour right alongside the local guides and provide information and reminders about transportation back to the boat, meal times, etc.

Thank you for getting back to us and reporting on your trip... With 442 views of this thread there were plenty of "inquiring minds" awaiting your report!

The pictures are great, post more of the ship if you can :)

Yes! Thank you so much! Your info and pics are so helpful, informative AND assuring!

Gate1 has 3 "cruise directors" traveling on board. The cruise directors go out on every tour right alongside the local guides and provide information and reminders about transportation back to the boat, meal times, etc.

I was referring to land/cruise bookings with Gate1 but today I received our weekly Gate1 brochure and noticed that tour managers do accompany guests on land/cruise tours. I was reading through the thread before posting a correction. You beat me to it!

Here are some pictures of our cabin from the night we arrived. The beds do push together. Some of the other river boats that we encountered in port were definitely fancier with sleeker interiors, cabins with actual balconies, etc but on the other hand, I personally would not have paid 2x the price to cruise on them.

photo18v2.jpg

photo29k.jpg

Do you recall if you were in a Category C or B cabin? I see from the brochure Category C windows open (I think I see an "opening device" in your photo) and the windows are larger (29 ft vs 16 ft). "C" Cabin itself is smaller (165 vs 195).

Hi RSACHECK,

We'll be traveling with Gate One and the MS Sound of Music from Prague to Budapest in April '13 and had some questions I hope you'd be so kind to answer: Are there any laundry services on board? Is there a safe in the staterooms? Is there a whirlpool/hot tub in the spa or anywhere on board? How is the Wi-Fi /internet access?

We're looking forward to going on this river cruise/tour and visiting such wonderful places. It'll be our first river cruise.

Your information will be greatly appreciated as there's not much available about the Sound of Music to be found.

ACADIA90

ACADIA90,

we were on the 12 day trip from Budapest to Prague with gate 1 and the Sound of Music ship May 2012. There was a safe in the cabin but no hot tub. The Wifi was good and free after they worked out the kinks. the first couple of days. They had a couple of computers in the public space anyone could use. As for laundry I did not have a need so I don't know. While docked in Budapest, they brought members of the Budapest Opera to entertain us with songs by Lehar and other Austro -Hungarian composers. We had an excellent musician/pianist on the whole trip in the lounge/bar area. Food was very good, you could have as much wine as you wanted with your evening meal - staff was extremely friendly and efficient.

IMG_4433.jpg.b9f19f78da1955b723575be03c1b2e3e.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg.0ba9f50e37baf68c031fb1e7b19a436f.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg.544f88fa52424dfe9fff08f9b8f28eff.jpg

Thank you so much for the info. on the Sound of Music. We are on the April 15 cruise/tour from Warsaw to Berlin. Itinerary looks very inclusive. We have been to Vienna and Prague and looking for other ideas of things to see and do in these cities.

Hi RSACHECK,

We'll be traveling with Gate One and the MS Sound of Music from Prague to Budapest in April '13 and had some questions I hope you'd be so kind to answer: Are there any laundry services on board? Is there a safe in the staterooms? Is there a whirlpool/hot tub in the spa or anywhere on board? How is the Wi-Fi /internet access?

We're looking forward to going on this river cruise/tour and visiting such wonderful places. It'll be our first river cruise.

Your information will be greatly appreciated as there's not much available about the Sound of Music to be found.

ACADIA90

Sorry, I have gotten busy with work again and ignoring the forum!

Yes, laundry services are offered on board. Their was a bag and price list in the closet just like a regular cruise ship. I don't remember exactly what the prices were but do recall that they seemed reasonable.

Cabins do have safes.

There is actually a very small hot tub in the spa. I don't recall if there was a fee to use it or not. There is a photo of it on Gate1 website.

Wi-fi was serviceable but not great and did not reach into most cabins.

At dinner, did you have the same table each evening with the same table mates?

Thank you!

You do not have to. However, it was my observation that after the second or third night, most people paired off and kept their dinner tablemates for the remainder of the cruise. At breakfast and lunch, we pretty much sat wherever there was space available.

Archived