trying to find "cruising" friends!

j.kaiser

Hello. :-) We are a 39 and 38 year old couple from Oregon.. we love cruising... but cant seem to find anyone to go on cruises with us that is fun! we have gone on two cruises in the past and the friends we have were either no fun or too big to do anything.. how on earth do we find people from our area that likes to cruise and that we can have fun with! thanks.....Jeremy:)

Well, perhaps one way would be to pick a ship and destination that you really want. Then, check out the roll-call thread for that cruise. If there isn't one already, you could get one going. It's a good way to get to know others on your cruise, and plan activities. :cool:

What is fun? :confused:

We Like Celebrity - you?

We like the sun? :) But will do the cold.

Many travel agents have "cruise seminars" available in PDX. Can't mention their names on this site, but check the Sunday travel section for dates and times.

We are looking for people from our area as we would like to remain friends before and after the cruise. Just thought that maybe we could find people on here that like to cruise that we could become friends with.

Are you active in another groups as a couple? While DH & I have several cruising friends that we met through CC, we also found others who like to cruise by talking to people in other groups where we are active.

there aren't really any "groups or clubs" where we live.. we have alot of other couple friends.. like i posted they just aren't the "cruising" type.. thanks for the suggestions.

Once you're out of school, good friends are difficult to make.

We HAVE made lasting friendships with people that we have met on cruises.

you have that right! :) we do have alot of great friends. however they dont like to cruise. they are too frugal and are of too large of a size to do any shore excursions that we want to do.. :(

We don't worry about going on a trip with people we know. We have some good friends (in our wedding party, every few years we'll try to met up (we now live about 20 miles away, but we all have crazy schedules because of the kids), but we would never travel with them, as the husband is very frugal. My husband is also thrifty, but he thinks his friend goes overboard with every penny. His wife suffers from even worse motion issue than me (I'm willing to be stuffed with ginger -- I like going on cruises that much). So while they'll go to the east coast to visit his or her parents, we rather be on a ship.

Not going with others means not being stuck with others. When picking put a cruise, we just have to consider our teen's school schedule and also include her in the decision. Add more people and someone's going to not be happy.

Even if there's a couple in your town who wants to try a cruise ship, you'll have to come up with an agreeable cruise date, ship, itinerary. Too much trouble as far as I'm concerned. If we do meet people from the Southern California area (which happens for us if we go on a cruise from the port of LA), that's nice. There's some people that are now my Facebook friends after being on the same ship. Not close enough to run into by accident (even the valley I live in is wide). But that's okay. I can still talk with them, and others I've met on this site and others, via FB.

I'm not sure how far away you are from Portland or other big cities, but maybe you can talk with your auto club rep (if you're a member) and see if there's a cruise show in the future that you can sign up for. Maybe you can meet local cruisers that way. But personally, I wouldn't book a cruise with another couple I've just met, just in case we're not compatible. You can always book a cruise, and then pass along the info to people you like. Maybe someone will decide to book it too.

We don't worry about going on a trip with people we know. We have some good friends (in our wedding party' date=' every few years we'll try to met up (we now live about 20 miles away, but we all have crazy schedules because of the kids), but we would never travel with them, as the husband is very frugal. My husband is also thrifty, but he thinks his friend goes overboard with every penny. His wife suffers from even worse motion issue than me (I'm willing to be stuffed with ginger -- I like going on cruises that much). So while they'll go to the east coast to visit his or her parents, we rather be on a ship.

Not going with others means not being stuck with others. When picking put a cruise, we just have to consider our teen's school schedule and also include her in the decision. Add more people and someone's going to not be happy.

Even if there's a couple in your town who wants to try a cruise ship, you'll have to come up with an agreeable cruise date, ship, itinerary. Too much trouble as far as I'm concerned. If we do meet people from the Southern California area (which happens for us if we go on a cruise from the port of LA), that's nice. There's some people that are now my Facebook friends after being on the same ship. Not close enough to run into by accident (even the valley I live in is wide). But that's okay. I can still talk with them, and others I've met on this site and others, via FB.

I'm not sure how far away you are from Portland or other big cities, but maybe you can talk with your auto club rep (if you're a member) and see if there's a cruise show in the future that you can sign up for. Maybe you can meet local cruisers that way. But personally, I wouldn't book a cruise with another couple I've just met, just in case we're not compatible. You can always book a cruise, and then pass along the info to people you like. Maybe someone will decide to book it too.[/quote']

Thank you so much!!

I guess to each his own but can't you have fun without someone else?

Like others have said, the roll call for your cruise is a good way to hook up with some others and they don't have to be from your area. We have people that we met on cruises and have remained friends even though they are not from our area. We've cruised with them, they have visited with us and we visited with them afterwards.

Another thing......sometimes it is not always good to go with friends since your interests may end up being totally different. You may get on the ship and decide you don't want to be joined at the hip but they do. Sometimes you may think you know someone until you spend lots of close time with them and then find out you would rather be on your own.

there are never any from our area on the ships that we can find. HENCE the reason i asked here. SMH

What do you consider "your area"? Living in the same town, or just Oregon in general? Or someone who may live on the West Coast? The more specific the area you consider your "local area" it is probably harder to find people on the ship.

Perhaps you need to broaden your definition of "local."

We have a couple that we are friends with and have been friends with for 15+ years. I consider them to be almost family to me. We went on a cruise together two years ago and it was the WORST decision ever. They were complete tightwads, he complained about every single little thing, and they stuck to us like glue the entire time. We couldn't ever have five minutes alone. My point is, you never truly know someone until you travel with them! We will never book another cruise with anyone, except perhaps my parents. Join your rollcall, meet some people on that, and if it doesn't work out you never have to see them again. ;) we are meeting some people from our rollcall the night before our cruise for dinner, and there will be a meet and greet on the ship on the first sea day. We may end up finding people that we want to spend time with, and we may not. We are looking forward to spending time with each other this time anyway!

And if you're on my rollcall and reading this, I can't wait to meet you and no offense to any of you! :D

This is like shooting fish in a barrel. You live in the Willamette Valley, and area well known for it's wineries. There are a lot of people who drink a lot of wine in that area, and many of the wineries sponsor cruises with their wines for their fans.

Poke around, I'm sure you'll find one--and new friends along with it.

(FYI--Beware Fine Food and Wine Cruises, they've cancelled some recent cruises with no refund!)

Archived