Elder-friendly beaches or other activities?

JuliaDC

Hello! My husband and I, together with my 85-year-old father, will be sailing to Bermuda on the Grandeur of the Seas next week (yay!). My father is in great shape for his age, but can only walk short distances and is recovering from heart problems. I figure a taxi tour is a nice way to spend a few hours getting an overview of the island, but after that, what?

Are there any fairly accessible beaches with chairs for rent? How about resorts with day passes? We will be bringing a folding wheel chair to cover distances if needed. I'm not sure how this will work out with the ferries. Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Julia

Hello Julia

I can only tell you from my own trips to Bermuda...Yes some beaches are easy to get. Horseshoe Bay is one of them but only if you take the taxi there and take it directly down to the beach (they will do this you won't have to ask) if you take the bus it will drop you off at the top of the hill and it is a long walk down. Taxis will be there when you are ready to leave as well (it's a tourist area for sure) You can rent chairs and umbrellas there are facilities there and a snack shack. No charge for the beach but the chairs and umbrella rentals are a bit on the pricey side. I've never been to Elbow, which is in the general vincinity, they may have a day pass there to the resort. The ferry, from what I saw, does handle wheelchairs. I did read somewhere on these boards that they didn't or it wasn't easy to do, but I did not see any difficulty with the two ladies who needed the use of them, they were helped on by a family member and a young fellow who appeared to work for the ferry.

Another idea for a tour would be the carriage tour.. horse drawn carriage, takes several people...very nice. God Bless your Dad at 85 and still active. It's what will keep him going. Have a wonderful time!

Gail

Seafeet--Thanks so much for the suggestions; we will probably pass on Horseshoe Bay if it's a long walk down, but the carriage ride is a charming suggestion. I've been tempted by them in other cities (especially New Orleans) but have never taken the plunge.

Thanks also for your good wishes to my dad. The cruise has been a great motivator for him to do his exercises and rehab following his health troubles. It's a great motivation to me to take care of myself, so I can still be cruising in another 40 years!

Seafeet--Thanks so much for the suggestions; we will probably pass on Horseshoe Bay if it's a long walk down, but the carriage ride is a charming suggestion. I've been tempted by them in other cities (especially New Orleans) but have never taken the plunge.

Thanks also for your good wishes to my dad. The cruise has been a great motivator for him to do his exercises and rehab following his health troubles. It's a great motivation to me to take care of myself, so I can still be cruising in another 40 years!

If you take a taxi you don't have to walk down to Horseshoe Bay. The taxi will drop you off down by the beach.

Julia -

Last summer I took a Bermuda cruise with my Dad who was 89. He can't walk great distances but was in pretty good health otherwise. In Hamilton we took a taxi tour of the island one day and the next day took a taxi to Horseshoe Bay. In St. George we did the trolley tour and a boat trip around the island. He turned 90 this year and we took him on a Caribbean cruise in March and had a blast. He really wanted to go back to Bermuda this summer but he has had some recent health issues and I'm not sure if he will be up to going. If he keeps improving we may end up booking a cruise. Have a wonderful time in Bermuda - it's one of my favorites places!!

Lynn

Thanks for more great suggestions. Lynn, I hope your Dad's health continues to improve and that you can make that Bermuda trip. If you have a chance to reply, could you tell me whether you took the ferries to Hamilton and St. Georges? If so, were they pretty easy to get on and off?

Thanks!

Julia

Hi Julia!

We did not take the ferry last year - we were going to but just never had the time. Friends of mine took the ferry (they really enjoyed it) but I'm not sure how easy it is getting on and off. We did take the bus from St. George into Hamilton for Harbor nights but it was a long walk from the bus terminal in Hamilton down to the festival. We tried to get a taxi but none were available and then it started to rain. When we got to Harbor nights many of the vendors were leaving. Found a bench for my Dad to sit on (it was inside) and I went shopping for awhile with my friends.

Lynn

Wow, Lynn, you and your dad are pretty intrepid! We might try the Hamilton ferry, or just stick to taxis depending on the weather. I must say Horseshoe Beach is starting to sound tempting now that we're getting into beach weather...thanks for your help and advice.

Julia

Archived