what to do?

hartjanet

We are on the 21 day RT from LA to the Panama Canal that leaves 12/2. We just noticed that there are no ship tours. Looks like we get into the lake at 2 and have until the next morning with tenders. That said, if we take the tender to shore, will we be able to arrange a tour? Or should we try to arrange something before we leave (hard to do without knowing ewhere the tender dock is.) Or should we give up on a tour and just walk around near the tender dock? Thanks for any tips. We are disappointed that we don't have more time and opportunities there and want to make the nest of what we can...

Oh... I should add that if we could, we'd love either to see the lifestyle of the indigenous people and also lear more about the canal. I see in Richard's blog there is a small ferry-type trip available. I just don't know if it's doable for us or if it is, how to go about doing it.

We are on the 21 day RT from LA to the Panama Canal that leaves 12/2. We just noticed that there are no ship tours. Looks like we get into the lake at 2 and have until the next morning with tenders. That said, if we take the tender to shore, will we be able to arrange a tour? Or should we try to arrange something before we leave (hard to do without knowing ewhere the tender dock is.) Or should we give up on a tour and just walk around near the tender dock? Thanks for any tips. We are disappointed that we don't have more time and opportunities there and want to make the nest of what we can...

What ship?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe what will happen here is you will need to take a ship's tour when the ship arrives in Gatun Lake at 2PM. They most likely will not let you tender ashore without a tour booked through the ship as the area where you land is remote and not an area where taxis and busses routinely congregate. This partial transit operates differently from most, so I am not positive on how tours are handled.

Archived