How much carry-on luggage can you take on board?

gypsyvanner

(The board search keeps going down...and there's no specifics about this on the Princess website)

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much "hand" luggage you can bring with you on board during embarkation?

We have a 4 ft. long mesh duffle bag made for the snorkel fins, and we really don't want to leave it with the porter. Do you think we would be allowed to carry it on board? (We're also taking a backpack and a large purse onboard.)

If we have to, we could pack the fins inside the big luggage, but it takes up a huge amount of packing space.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!!!

:)

The only limitation is it being able to go through the scanner. At most embarkation ports there is scanning before one boards operated by the port authorities. On some there is an additional scanning at the ship just after the gangway where your IDs photo for the keycard is taken. At worst, you may have to remove it from the duffel bag at the second scanning if there is one.

(The board search keeps going down...and there's no specifics about this on the Princess website)

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much "hand" luggage you can bring with you on board during embarkation?

We have a 4 ft. long mesh duffle bag made for the snorkel fins, and we really don't want to leave it with the porter. Do you think we would be allowed to carry it on board? (We're also taking a backpack and a large purse onboard.)

If we have to, we could pack the fins inside the big luggage, but it takes up a huge amount of packing space.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!!!

:)

Why not check it....:confused: It is inconvenient for those around you to have to maneuver around your's or other people's excess luggage. The idea of checking it at port arrival is to avoid people dragging around a lot of "stuff" in confined and crowded areas. This includes not only the port area but the gangway and ship after boarding. It is crazy enough with all the people boarding, crew hauling bags, crowded elevators.........

What we all should be carrying on is our "valuables" in hand baggage and swim fins would not qualify in my mind. ;)

If you have something that's breakable I can see your concern. We always board with our suitcases that are 23" wide & it fits in their scanner with no problem. I'm assuming that you bag is probably somewhat longer but I doubt if it's wider. They'll probably try & steer you to checking the bag but just explain your reasoning.

You can carry as much as you want on board as long as it will fit in the scanner. The scanner is the same size as ones used at airports.

Sure....Drag your house aboard if it fits through the scanner. :eek:

Goes right along with the attitude of the folks who refuse to check their luggage at the airport and schlep it all aboard 'cuz they don't want to wait at the baggage claim. ;)

Sure....Drag your house aboard if it fits through the scanner. :eek:

Goes right along with the attitude of the folks who refuse to check their luggage at the airport and schlep it all aboard 'cuz they don't want to wait at the baggage claim. ;)

My take is that many people who live near American ports don't actually fly to the departure port do they? They drive and there are no restrictions on how many or the size of their bags. It doesn't even matter the size if they'll submit over sized bags to a personal inspection. Different strokes. carry on or not.... for us the deal is already set

We always fly since we live nowhere near a port. Here's the rule: if the airlines let us carry it on, we aren't checking it. You don't like it too bad.

We travel VERY light and most don't. No need to have an attitude about passengers carrying a few things on, maybe they're just good at dealing with the realities of traveling distances in the 00's. :cool:

Here's my beef. Leaving luggage by the ton out in the halls is a worse hazard to security than any dinner dish from room service. There's a "tradition" that has got to go.

Why not check it....:confused: It is inconvenient for those around you to have to maneuver around your's or other people's excess luggage. The idea of checking it at port arrival is to avoid people dragging around a lot of "stuff" in confined and crowded areas. This includes not only the port area but the gangway and ship after boarding. It is crazy enough with all the people boarding, crew hauling bags, crowded elevators.........

What we all should be carrying on is our "valuables" in hand baggage and swim fins would not qualify in my mind. ;)

Have you seen the price of (nice) fins lately?

We carry-on all our scuba gear, and we don't even own the BCs and regulators (vest and tubing that goes to the tank for those who don't dive) which are the most expensive parts of a setup. Quick math tells me that just for fins/mask/snorkels/wetsuits x2 and gloves/boots for me we have well over $1000 in our carryon.

I'm not checking that.

We carry-on all our scuba gear, and we don't even own the BCs and regulators (vest and tubing that goes to the tank for those who don't dive) which are the most expensive parts of a setup. Quick math tells me that just for fins/mask/snorkels/wetsuits x2 and gloves/boots for me we have well over $1000 in our carryon.

I'm not checking that.

No one would blame you except a few on this board for fear of slowing down the check in process. :rolleyes:

I'm not checking that.

Nor should you

Thanks so much to everyone for your help and advice!

We really don't want to break any rules or cause any problems for our fellow passengers.

After considering the responses, we may have to leave the porter a much bigger piece of luggage and fit the fins inside. (And yes, we do have state-of-the-art dive gear. Our fins are the Aeris Velocity split fins that are $180 a pair. You may think we're nuts, but they are awesome! Our dive masks are over $75 a piece...you get the idea.)

So anyway, we'll only bring our backpack on board with the dive masks inside. We'll give the porter a big tip to take care of the rest! :)

Take the fins with you and don't worry about them. I am sure they will fit through the scanner and why should you have to worry about it .. it only takes moments to put them through .. it won't hold people up .. this isn't an airport .

Enjoy a carefree vacation!!

So anyway, we'll only bring our backpack on board with the dive masks inside. We'll give the porter a big tip to take care of the rest! :)

The porter you give it too is only the first in a series of people who will handle your luggage. Sooner or later someone puts in (probably on the bottom) in a container with lots of other bags. Once it gets on board others will sort the luggage and then someone will deliver it to your cabin. Don't expect that big tip to influence anyone but the person you give it to.

That will fit in the port scanner (which is not the same as the onboard scanners -- those are smaller and closer to the hand baggage scanners in airports.)

You should take it with you, if you have any concerns about it at all. Or even if you have no concerns at all and just want to carry it.

Oh my goodness you need to ignore that man and take anything you want onboard. It really is only a very few minutes that you might hold someone up. Everyone is in your boat except a few like CHASET. I actually was blown away by his quick comment back to you. We are on vacation so we all need to relax. I know when men have to travel and fly for a living this type of thing can be a nightmare but really, while we're on vacation?

Archived