Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Costa Rica (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   Odyssey Tours?? (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1608857)

flyboyswife April 5th, 2012 10:13 AM

Odyssey Tours??

Has anyone recently used Odyssey Tours? We're going to be Puntarenas soon and his prices are about $20 per person less than lucky and okey dokey tours. Attractive, but not determinative if they don't come recommended. Having a hard time finding recent reviews. Thank you!

cruiseaholic78 April 6th, 2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyboyswife (Post 33218057)
Has anyone recently used Odyssey Tours? We're going to be Puntarenas soon and his prices are about $20 per person less than lucky and okey dokey tours. Attractive, but not determinative if they don't come recommended. Having a hard time finding recent reviews. Thank you!

Hi,
Meeting you all over the forum, I suggest you have a look on trip advisor, they have very good reviews there. You might find info on other ports as well, see you next week, have you put your names down for the meet and greet and/or sailaway party
Rosalyn

APcruiselover April 17th, 2012 02:45 PM

I found the reviews on trip advisor as well

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...untarenas.html

jimlouisesophie April 17th, 2012 07:42 PM

APcrjuiselover....thanks for the link and without a doubt this tour company seems to be the best. I have also researched other posts on CC and the reviews of this company are great as well.
This is a recent e mail from Alvaro: (it does not include zip lines, but I suppose you could customize it if you want)

The itinerary of the tour:
8:30am pick up time in Puntarenas port.
First stop to enjoy sugar cane juice and some other local spicies and fruits.
Second stop to see crocodiles on the Tarcoles river from the safety of the bridge.
10am Enjoying Punta Leona beach, swimming, hiking through beach and forest spotting scarlet macaws, raccoons and other nice birds.
11:30am visiting Villa Caletas amphitheater to enjoy the breathtaking ocean views, spotting toucans.
12:15pm Visiting Santa Lucia village, colonial village surrounded of rain forest near Carara Biological reserve and with souvenirs.
1:00pm Enjoying Lunch at local rice and beans food and also best fresh seafood.
2:00pm Stop to see monkeys on their natural habitat.
2:30pm Stop at grocery store for coffee and vanilla.
3:00pm Puntarenas city tour.
3:30pm Drop off in Puntarenas dock.

Ronnieslady October 9th, 2012 11:30 AM

Odyssey was great & reliable

We just got back from Panama Canal Cruise w/ Coral Princess, from LA too Ft Lauderdale. I set up a private tour with Alvaro @ Odyessy Tours on Sept. 26, 2012. We docked in Puntarenas, spelling is wrong. He customized the tour for what we wanted to do. I requested Aerial Tram & Tarcoles River Cruise simular to what Princess offers, as most popular, with no shopping, so we could cut off some time. He added some suggestions, like stopping to look @ the white faced monkeys. So glad we did. We would never have gotten to see them up close & personal if we would have been on Princess tour.
also the crocodial cruise was great & very up close & personal compared to what people did on the princess tour. Lunch was great & included. Alvaro was right there where he said they would be, that morning to pick us up with a sign holding my name. He was also very prompt in answering my E-Mails back, as I had many questions. We ended up being 8 people total from CC roll call. He had nice Air-conditioned van, which we really needed. They had lots of bottled water, soft drinks, & beer for us in the van. So glad all turned out great because I felt responsible for the other 6 people that went with us, since I'm the one that organized the tour. NO MONEY OR CREDIT CARD until after the tour, that was a relief, as I'm not a very trusting person. It was one of the best tours we have ever been on & we would do it again with this Company in a flash. They were recommended here on CC ports & Trip Advisor. I can not thank them enough for a great tour & Thank you CC for the info, or I would have never known about that particular tour company.
Also they got us back to the ship right when they said they would, which is always a concern.
Just back from our Princess Cruise, it was very very humid, we got to see more in less time in the comfort of their air-conditioned van. I can't say enough good things about this company. If you use them you will not regreat it.

From a very happy traveler,:D
Grace:)

LTCOP October 13th, 2012 08:08 PM

Thanks Grace for the review. We are planning on using Alvaro for a transfer in February - so it's great to hear about your experience!

Pam

roboref October 25th, 2012 06:55 PM

Odyssey Tours were wonderful

We arranged a trip with Odyssey Tours through Alvaro Ramirez in Puntarenas, Costa Rica for what ended up being 13 CruiseCritic member passengers from the Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas on October 11, 2012. Alvaro made every part of the trip most nearly perfect from the planning to the delivery back to the ship. Each e-mail was responded to promptly, with every request for personalizing our trip met exactly.
We ended up being in two minivans each with a driver and guide. We had several “wildlife” stops to view Capuchin monkeys, crocodiles, scarlet macaws, etc. on our way to our canopy zip-line tour at Los Sueňos. (One of our party did the rain forest aerial tram because of health reasons – her driver took her there after he dropped us off at the zip-line tour) As an aside, the zip-line was a little more “adventurous” than the last one we did in Belize. It was not an easy-going, relaxing zip-line. There were several very steep lines with high speeds. Very exciting for the thrill junkies and a little bit scary for some of us. (But all of us were glad we had done it when we were finished!) After the zip-lining, we were taken to a local restaurant for local cuisine including fish, rice and beans. We all enjoyed the lunch quite a bit. After lunch, we went to a beautiful secluded beach, made one stop for shopping and then back to the ship in plenty of time. Each van had a stocked cooler with water and other beverages. The drivers and guides were knowledgeable, friendly and hospitable. We highly recommend Odyssey Tours as they delivered in every way!

Darcys mom October 29th, 2012 06:22 PM

Hurricane Sandy?

Was Costa Rica affected by the hurricane? I emailed Odyssey tours on Thursday and am still waiting for a reply. Based on the reviews I would like to use them when the Island Princess stops in Costa Rica in April 2013. I am getting concerned that they have not responded to my email.

roboref November 3rd, 2012 12:18 PM

No hurricane, are you using this email address?

[email protected]

I am shocked that he hasn't responded. Alvaro usually responded in a couple of hours and never longer than 24 hours.

I still wouldn't be concerned as you are so far out from being there. These are great guys and I would not hesitate to use them again. See review above!

Ron

Darcys mom November 5th, 2012 08:58 PM

I actually responed to an email that he had sent me. And I still have not heard back from him. I know the reviews on here and on Trip Advisor are great....but still no news.

mattie1000 April 18th, 2013 05:03 PM

Odyssey Tours

Quote:

We toured with this company most recently in March 2013 during a cruise stop. It was a wonderful tour with an expert guide! We were met on the pier as planned - Odyssey Tours was early. Our guide, Juan, was extremely knowledgeable and the driver, Denis, was very professional. Juan accompanied us through Manuel Antonio Park as well, constantly pointing out wildlife on the way. We saw bats, sloths, 3 kinds of monkeys, a basilisk, iguana, lizards etc. He constantly was aware of the time and made sure we would cover everything planned. Lunch was at a family-run restaurant. Delicious local food was served (our orders had been taken in advance). It was very convenient that we could pay with either credit cards or cash. It was an excellent day! This is our third time using this company and we will continue to contact them whenever we are in Costa Rica.

cheriooo May 23rd, 2013 08:06 PM

Odyssey tours

Hi
My wife and I had the pleasure of spending the day in monte verde on a tour in April 2013. Alvaro was wonderful. We were on a panama canal cruise He was very knowledgable, talkative and knowledgable about the country and cloud forest. During our tour he gave us great insights into what we were seeing on the hanging bridges and age us ome fascinating talks about the hummingbird gardens. My wife and I were really pleased with the tour. After we finished with monte verde he stopped in a nice little local resturant and had a very pleasant lunch. I would recommend Alvaro and Odyssey tours in a heartbeat.

oneeyed October 8th, 2013 01:40 AM

Odessy Tour

We just returned home from a Panama Canal cruise. (October, 2013) We had booked a zip line adventure and tour with Odessy Tours. Arrangements had been made with Alvaro. The other couples scheduled for our tour did not show up, but we got a first rate tour. There were 4 people on the zip line portion with 4 staff members assisting. We were given a ride to the top line and did not have to walk uphill as those who booked with Celebrity. Next was delicious lunch at a beachside restaurant and a tour of area highlights. It was a five star tour.

maria_sienna November 3rd, 2013 05:41 PM

Puntarenas, Odyssey Tour

We have signed-up with Odyssey Tours for the Puntarenas 6 in 1 highlights tour.

The itinerary of the tour:
8:30am pick up time in Puntarenas port. At the end of the dock by the gates where we will have a sign reading oddysey tours and tour name ¨6 in 1 All Puntarenas highlights¨
First stop to monkeys on their natural habitat.
10:00am Second stop to take the crocodiles river cruise on the Tarcoles river, bird watching paradise as safari through the unique mangrove forest, there will be also the spectacular jumping crocodile show when the captain of the boat feeds the largest croc with a peace of fish or chicken.
11:50pm Enjoying Lunch at local rice and beans food and also best fresh seafood.
1:15pm Enjoying Punta Leona beach, easy hiking through white sand beach surrounded by rain forest (near Carara national park).
1:45am visiting Villa Caletas amphitheater to enjoy the breathtaking ocean views, spotting toucans.
2:15pm Stop at grocery store for coffee and vanilla.
2:55pm Puntarenas city tour.
3:30pm Drop off in Puntarenas dock.

I was told that it involves an "easy" hike to the beach. (No ziplining or anything strenuous.)

To those who have taken this tour, just how easy a hike is this? How about the overall walking involved in this tour?

We have some mobility issues and cannot walk far or climb stairs well.

Thanks for any input!

- Sienna

Suze3119 April 9th, 2014 05:39 PM

Puntarenas 6 in one Tour

Quote:

We recently returned from a Panama Canal Cruise on the Legend of the Seas. We booked this tour in Puntarenas after reading very positive reviews on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic. We were not disappointed. Prior to sailing, my questions were all answered promptly and thoroughly by Alvaro. Our private tour was on a very comfortable air-conditioned bus. This was a wonderful tour for first time visitors, since it included so many different things. Our guide was a young man named Ronnie who was very personable and knowledgeable. A delicious lunch at a lovely, clean local restaurant was included. I would recommend this tour highly. It was a wonderful excursion!

sbaum323 January 22nd, 2015 02:53 PM

Finally toured Puntarenas area with Al

Hello I have been reading a lot of information about odysseytourscr.com here for few months and finally had my chance to go on their tour days ago and had an excellent experience, 10 in 1 day tour is highly recommended.

jackieow January 24th, 2015 04:04 AM

Definitely book with Odyssey Tours in Costa Rica

We are a family of 4 who booked full day tours and a few airport transfers and port transfer with Odyssey. Our first time in Costa Rica travelling all the way from Asia and Alvaro and company made our experience even better. They were very accommodating to any of our last minute changes and very organized with the tours and very well informed! they can also specially cater tours for you. Their prices are cheaper then others and its totally value for money!

traphat February 22nd, 2015 12:11 PM

Does anyone have a way to reach odysseytourscr.com? That website is suspended, whatever that means.

vmarq February 22nd, 2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traphat (Post 45704175)
Does anyone have a way to reach odysseytourscr.com? That website is suspended, whatever that means.

I have been corresponding with them via: [email protected]

In fact, I just sent them an email yesterday to ask about their website being down since we are scheduled to be on a tour with them in April. Haven't heard back yet.
Vicki

Smallfamily February 25th, 2015 06:47 PM

I can't reach them either maybe out of business