Wandermunde Port, Germany & Lake Sherwin

OldBirds

Our Cruise ship will come into Wandermunde on June 17 and will be port from 7:00am to 9:00pm. We are debating about going to see Sherwin Castle area.

Can anyone give us advise as to whether Sherwin area is worth seeing? Is it possible to do all three areas with the alloted time or should we just stick to touring Rostock and Wandermunde?

If I remember correctly, you will need about 1 1/2 hours from Rostock to Schwerin (I assume that's where you want to go?), one way! It's a very nice area and the castle/museum are nice... maybe if you went streight to Schwerin, then went to the castle right at opening (10 am), you could be back in Rostock early in the afternoon?

It really depends on how much time you want to spend traveling, I think. I am sure it can be done if you really want to.

We visited Warnemunde last summer and the cruise ships are docked at the town's harbour right next to the small passenger ferries which take you up river to Rostock so it makes independent travel/sightseeing very easy. The ferries are not expensive to Rostock and the journey takes about 30-40mins one way. Rostock is a busy town with lots of shops. The main church there is worth a visit, aim to be there at midday to watch the clock inside the church. Warnemunde is a very popular touristy destination with a sandy beach, market, shops, etc. The beach is about a 10min walk from the dock. Schwerin is further inland but has a lovely castle, lake, boats, lots of shops. It is quite a distance away. :)

Archived