Cruising during Lent

piscesgal223

Being the good Catholic I am, I usually give something up for Lent. This year,however, Lent starts right before(actually 2 days from now!) my cruise.

Because of all the good food on the cruise, I am not going to give up sweets(I've been on a cruise before..I know the food-desserts especially-are not to be missed!). At the very least,I am going to do meatless Friday when I am on the cruise.

If you are doing meatless Friday's, you are already giving up something for lent... My DW gives up smoking, no matter what. If you feel you still must give up something else, maybe coffee. You could save a bunch and give up shopping. I don't think the Lord will mind if you just give up meat on Friday!

Enjoy your cruise and Good Luck...C.G.

Coffee would be a tricky one..I've gone maybe a few days without coffee and felt the effects. Luckily,I'm not a soda drinker for the most part(which is a good thing, seeing as how they charge for it on cruises),otherwise I'd do that.

As I understand it, it is not necessary to give up something for Lent. Rather, it is to take on a discipline for Lent. I have sometimes read the New Testament in Latin or done an online retreat on forgiveness.

• 1 year later...

DH and are are new empty-nesters. Thought we'd take advantage of a low-cost ship from a nearby port as a romantic get-a-way. Since September, we've been trying to find a convenient time and good price. Finally, we found in February the almost perfect cruise. We'll be cruising on Valentines Day. I thought that Ash Wednesday was a week later than it is.

I already don't eat meat, so diet changes are just eating less, and more meager when in Lent. Thought to read "The Devout Life" and more prayer. Will be in port for ashes--I usually go to the services.

I am seriously reconsidering booking. What would you do?

• 1 month later...
As I understand it, it is not necessary to give up something for Lent. Rather, it is to take on a discipline for Lent. I have sometimes read the New Testament in Latin or done an online retreat on forgiveness.

I am a catechist in the Catholic Church, and this is what we are advised by our diocese to teach the children/teens.

Lenten sacrifice doesn't have to involve food at all (aside from meatless Fridays). You can give up a behavior, like selfishness, impatience or holding grudges. Or, you can take on an additional activity, such as attending daily Mass or going out of your way to do random acts of kindness each day. This year, I gave up complaining. Last year, I gave up gossiping (or talking about other people). The year before, I did two random acts of kindness each day.

Perhaps after 6 weeks of these behavior modifications that started out as Lenten sacrifices, they will become good habits that we continue to incorporate into our everyday lives.

• 4 weeks later...
I am a catechist in the Catholic Church, and this is what we are advised by our diocese to teach the children/teens.

Lenten sacrifice doesn't have to involve food at all (aside from meatless Fridays). You can give up a behavior, like selfishness, impatience or holding grudges. Or, you can take on an additional activity, such as attending daily Mass or going out of your way to do random acts of kindness each day. This year, I gave up complaining. Last year, I gave up gossiping (or talking about other people). The year before, I did two random acts of kindness each day.

Perhaps after 6 weeks of these behavior modifications that started out as Lenten sacrifices, they will become good habits that we continue to incorporate into our everyday lives.

Doesn't this attitude promote the sin of gluttony? Seeking an easy way, just live as you used to, eat whatever, maybe help an old woman to cross the road? Gluttony is a deadly sin and Lent is the strict fast. I am suprised that they don't offer people fast dishes. All the restaurants in my country do.

Fast is good for your soul as well as your body - it cleanses the bad toxins and improves your health. No meat, diary, no alcohol and smoking.

Though I am late with this, because Easter arrived!

• 1 month later...
Doesn't this attitude promote the sin of gluttony? Seeking an easy way, just live as you used to, eat whatever, maybe help an old woman to cross the road? Gluttony is a deadly sin and Lent is the strict fast. I am suprised that they don't offer people fast dishes. All the restaurants in my country do.

Fast is good for your soul as well as your body - it cleanses the bad toxins and improves your health. No meat, diary, no alcohol and smoking.

Though I am late with this, because Easter arrived!

It's really a stretch to say that teaching that Lenten sacrifices doesn't always have to involve food, and that it can involve some other behavior modification, promotes gluttony.

Using your logic, fasting from food during Lent would then promote other deadly sins such as laziness (sloth) or envy or greed or pride. Ridiculous, isn't it? If I choice to give up being selfish or lazy rather than giving up food, how is that not also worthy of Lent? Why is choosing to focus on one sin (gluttony) better than focusing on another?

Fasting is only an obligation in our religion on Ash Wednesday and on Good Friday, and not throughout Lent. Yes, fasting is good for the soul/health, however giving people a choice of fasting from various foods, or fasting from various behaviors, is not seeking an easy way. It is often harder to give up a behavior than a particular food item, making it more of a sacrifice.

I did say in my original post that we still give up eating meat on Friday, which is a Lenten obligation regardless of whatever else one decides to sacrifice for Lent.

• 1 month later...
It's really a stretch to say that teaching that Lenten sacrifices doesn't always have to involve food, and that it can involve some other behavior modification, promotes gluttony.

Using your logic, fasting from food during Lent would then promote other deadly sins such as laziness (sloth) or envy or greed or pride. Ridiculous, isn't it? If I choice to give up being selfish or lazy rather than giving up food, how is that not also worthy of Lent? Why is choosing to focus on one sin (gluttony) better than focusing on another?

Fasting is only an obligation in our religion on Ash Wednesday and on Good Friday, and not throughout Lent. Yes, fasting is good for the soul/health, however giving people a choice of fasting from various foods, or fasting from various behaviors, is not seeking an easy way. It is often harder to give up a behavior than a particular food item, making it more of a sacrifice.

I did say in my original post that we still give up eating meat on Friday, which is a Lenten obligation regardless of whatever else one decides to sacrifice for Lent.

I am not sure how not eating meat produces laziness, unless you chase and kill the poor animals yourself. As for the rest, once you restrict your flesh, good things come to your mind, and not pride. As for greed and envy, do you realy feel envy towards non-believers? What kind of envy? After all, you should believe that you will be saved, and they will be damned.

If giving up meat as easy as you decribe, why didn't you do it?

Archived