Dry dock for Gem and Jewel

bluefintuna

Funny, I was just going to ask the same question here--going on Gem right after the dry dock on 12/11...

The last I've heard is that the Jewel is going to the Boston area to repair the Azipod next week. Hopefully they bring NCL's computers with them to fix them also. Seems you can't get the sale prices unless you log into "My NCL". Haven't a clue about the Gem (I thought it was the Dawn that also had problems).

Does anyone have reliable info regarding where Gem and Jewel will be dry docked and exactly what will they be doing to the ships?

Fear not cruise people! :rolleyes::D

Norwegian Jewel and Norwegian Gem are both coming to Boston one week apart and being pulled out of the water to have worn bearings on their azipod propulsion systems replaced and then being sent back on their way to New York City. First up is the Norwegian Jewel this upcoming week followed by the Gem the next week. :D

Hope this helps ya'll out! Happy post-turkey day. :)

The last I've heard is that the Jewel is going to the Boston area to repair the Azipod next week. Hopefully they bring NCL's computers with them to fix them also. Seems you can't get the sale prices unless you log into "My NCL". Haven't a clue about the Gem (I thought it was the Dawn that also had problems).

As for the Norwegian Dawn... she'll be coming for her drydock in May after re-positioning up to Boston. She was supposed to do cruises in May for the Boston to Bermuda run but those were cancelled in favor of drydocking her then to replace the blown engine. Rumor also has it that she's going to lose her Spinnakers during this drydock. :cool:

As for the Norwegian Dawn... she'll be coming for her drydock in May after re-positioning up to Boston. She was supposed to do cruises in May for the Boston to Bermuda run but those were cancelled in favor of drydocking her then to replace the blown engine. Rumor also has it that she's going to lose her Spinnakers during this drydock. :cool:

Thanks much for that very informative information. I had forgotten what exactly what was wrong with the Dawn. Now I remembered. Don't they need to cut into the side of the Dawn to complete that task? I haven't kept up on the Spendor but I would imagine the same to replace that engine also. Thanks again!

Cruisin Material

Since you have friends who work on these ships and will probably be going down to the dock to see them as well as the ship...how about you do a daily blog? A play by play of the drydock procedures? Just ask the crew..they will tell you.

personally, I am interested in the Jewel..inside and under the ship.

Thanks

Thanks much for that very informative information. I had forgotten what exactly what was wrong with the Dawn. Now I remembered. Don't they need to cut into the side of the Dawn to complete that task? I haven't kept up on the Spendor but I would imagine the same to replace that engine also. Thanks again!

Yes they do need to cut a hole in the side of the ship so given the amount of time she's up here they'll cut the hole in the ship and then repaint her underside as well. They'll also spruce up the ship with upholstery and such. It'll be a big undertaking for the Boston drydock. They haven't done something like this in YEARS. Worn bearings they've fixed here before though because the Dawn has come up here to have them replaced before. We flew over leaving out of Logan for another cruise a few years back.

Are they doing anything to Gem during the drydock besides fixing the azipod issue? Just wondering if I'm going to embark on 12/11 to anything else fresh and new....looking forward ti getting on a nice, empty ship ready for us!

As for them removing Spinnakers from Dawn--I think it's pretty sad. It's one of the nicest sections of the ship, the only one that I have cruised on twice, and enjoyed both times. I understand they want to increase revenue, but they're taking away part of the beauty of the ship.

Are they doing anything to Gem during the drydock besides fixing the azipod issue? Just wondering if I'm going to embark on 12/11 to anything else fresh and new....looking forward ti getting on a nice, empty ship ready for us!

Not a lot of time to do much else. Onboard the ship they'll go through a thorough cleaning and be putting sliverware, glassware and plates back where they belong and inventorying such items to see if they could use more at some point in the near future. Some carpeting will probably be replaced and other minor onboard maintenance issues will be resolved but nothing major to the interior of the ship is planned that I know of.

To do something major onboard you need more than a week in drydock. This is just to get the bearing fixed for her 10 day runs to the Caribbean in January and February. She'll need her full speed at that point and if the ship is vibrating all over then people wouldn't be happy! :eek::cool:

Well on an other tread yes it is almost certain the dawn will loose it's spinnaker.

But not the Gem, given that the "jewel" class is not affected by those changes.

It would be sad to loose the spinnaker on the gem :mad:

From some of the stories from recent GEM passengers, perhaps they can do an "attitude adjustment" to some of the cranky crewmembers.

Maybe they need a break so this drydock will help them with that and what better city to spend a little time in then freezing cold Boston decked out for the holidays? :D

Thanks everyone for some great info. Boston Ship Repair is located very close to Black Falcon Terminal where we boarded Spirit to Bermuda the last two years. Oh, how we will miss the Spirit. Sailing Jewel from NY next Sunday, 12/5 and I will look around and tell you if they did other things in drydock. Hope all goes well and we will be embarking soon. NYC here we come, all nine of us. We sailed Jewel last year from Miami also during the first week of Dec. We had intended to take the Gem this year, but got transferred to Jewel.

From all accounts, you will have a great time, as the Jewel has a wonderful crew, and and one of the best Hotel Managers in the business.

I would have taken the Jewel, but I was never on the Gem, so I wanted to try her out. Hope I didn't make a mistake!:rolleyes:

We had a nice relationship with our waitress on the Jewel last week, and discussed the drydock with her. She said the crew still has plenty of work to do-- they keep them busy with cleaning and shining-- but that they'll have some time off as well. They only have to work 8-hour days-- imagine that! :) But the poor young woman only has a lightweight jacket and a scarf... I'm sure she won't be warm enough in Boston. :(

The Jewel is dumping off her passengers right now!! Yippee!! :D

Yes the crew doesn't work as long of days as they do when there are passengers onboard. Not a lot of crew have warm jackets. Overnight lows in the 20s and highs in the 40s to low 50s this week. Some rain to boot mid-week here! :(

Archived