DCL & pre-paid gratuties

Shmoo here

Just saw this on another site:

Due to the success of a pilot program on Disney Magic ® and positive feedback from Guests, Disney Cruise Line ® is introducing the auto-application of gratuities on all Disney ships.

The process will create a more seamless experience for your Clients by automatically charging folios on embarkation day with the suggested gratuity amounts for the Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess.

Below are the effective dates:

• Disney Dream - Date to be announced

• Disney Fantasy - April 21, 2012

• Disney Magic - Already in place

• Disney Wonder ® - April 22, 2012

Clients can add pre-paid gratuities at the time of booking or when processing final payment. If the pre-paid gratuities have not been added prior to boarding, your Clients will receive a letter upon check-in explaining the automatic charge to their onboard account. Your Clients still have the option to modify or add additional gratuity amounts, or pay in cash, by stopping by the Guest Services Desk onboard.

As a reminder, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to any bar, beverage, wine and deck-service receipt.

:)

I'm glad that it's optional. I still like the idea of being able to tip as I see fit using the guidelines as that, guidelines.

I hope that it reduces the number of people that stiff their staff (don't go there) because they're too lazy to do the math.

I like that it's automatically added to the account. I think a lot of the "stiffers" would be less likely to stiff if they actually had to speak to a guest services person about it. Of course if there was a good reason to remove the auto-tip, I would hope they had spoken to guest services already to try to correct the situation before the end of the cruise.

I'm glad they're doing it this way. My one previous DCL cruise was a hassle when it came to tipping. I'll be on the Fantasy three weeks from tomorrow, so I guess I can sit back and relax, knowing it's taken care of. I've always got extra cash for extra deserving service!!!

We were on the Magic last year and were happy when we saw that DCL had pre-paid our gratuities to our account. We usually have DCL charge the gratuities to our room, anyway, and brought cash to tip extra.

I just assumed they were doing this on all the ships, so I'm excited for this news that for my next few voyages, the tips will be pre-paid.

It is a great system. You can always still give more money, and you can still request to hold back for bad service. It is so nice to pre pay it and take the thought out of it. If they do it as RCCl is doing it, you get vouchers to present to the service people.

If lots of people really were completely skipping the tipping, then I can understand this.

Still, I really dislike the idea of prepaying tips for people I have not yet met (i.e. paying the tips at booking or final payment). That seems truly disreputable.

I wonder how long into the cruise one has the option of adjusting the automatic tip levels (if you haven't prepaid)? From what I have seen, it is normal to make a variety of adjustments, both up and down for crew. As long as the deadline stays the same (perhaps 1-2 days before the end of the cruise), I guess this is OK.

In one cruise on Celebrity, the only opportunity to adjust auto-tips was on the first day, thus I felt obligated to adjust them all to zero, then give cash to the deserving at the end of the trip. I found that rather inconvenient, and I hope Disney doesn't follow the same path.

If lots of people really were completely skipping the tipping, then I can understand this.

Still, I really dislike the idea of prepaying tips for people I have not yet met (i.e. paying the tips at booking or final payment). That seems truly disreputable.

I wonder how long into the cruise one has the option of adjusting the automatic tip levels (if you haven't prepaid)? From what I have seen, it is normal to make a variety of adjustments, both up and down for crew. As long as the deadline stays the same (perhaps 1-2 days before the end of the cruise), I guess this is OK.

In one cruise on Celebrity, the only opportunity to adjust auto-tips was on the first day, thus I felt obligated to adjust them all to zero, then give cash to the deserving at the end of the trip. I found that rather inconvenient, and I hope Disney doesn't follow the same path.

While you are "pre-paying" your tips, it really just means that the tips will be added to your account at the beginning. The CMs will not receive any tips until the end of the cruise, as usual. You're not tipping some one who hasn't had the opportunity to serve you.

What's going to happen is, when you make your reservation with DCL, you have from then until final payment date to add your tips into the amount you pay. If you haven't done so, upon arrival in your room, you will receive a letter from Guest Services letting you know that the daily tips will be added to your onboard account automatically, unless you come to Guest Services to remove/change them. If you do nothing, at the end of the cruise you will receive vouchers along with your tip envelopes in your room. You separate the voucher, you keep half and place the other half (plus any additional cash tips, if you wish) in the envelope to hand out. You can adjust/remove the tips at any time.

While you are "pre-paying" your tips, it really just means that the tips will be added to your account at the beginning. The CMs will not receive any tips until the end of the cruise, as usual. You're not tipping some one who hasn't had the opportunity to serve you.

What's going to happen is, when you make your reservation with DCL, you have from then until final payment date to add your tips into the amount you pay.

I am confused. You say that passengers have "until final payment date to add your tips into the amount you pay." That sounds like people would be paying BEFORE they get on the ship. Now, if you are saying people add the cost to their on-board account, like with shore excursions, Palo reservations, etc. then fine. But if you are actually paying then (months before the start of the cruise), then I think my original comment was correct. And your explanation does make it sound like some people (not all, but some), will be paying months in advance.

As long as that is an OPTION, I am fine with it. But if this is the first step to that becoming required, then I don't like it.

I am confused. You say that passengers have "until final payment date to add your tips into the amount you pay." That sounds like people would be paying BEFORE they get on the ship. Now, if you are saying people add the cost to their on-board account, like with shore excursions, Palo reservations, etc. then fine. But if you are actually paying then (months before the start of the cruise), then I think my original comment was correct. And your explanation does make it sound like some people (not all, but some), will be paying months in advance.

As long as that is an OPTION, I am fine with it. But if this is the first step to that becoming required, then I don't like it.

Yes, you can prepay your tips at any time. DCL is now offering this as an option in the booking process. You don't have to. However, if you don't include the payment of the tips by your final payment date, you will receive the letter from Guest Services when you board, telling you that the tips will be automatically added to your onboard account, unless you go to Guest Services and remove them.

Some people, including us, prefer to prepay the tips as soon as possible. That way, the budget has already covered them. And that's one expense that won't show up at the end of the cruise. DCL has always had the ability to do this, it just didn't show up as an option in the booking process, you had to call DCL specifically to add them.

If you pre-pay, and then decide you don't want the tips on your account when you board, you can remove them.

It's not required, it's just an option. It's up to you if you want to take it.

I prefer to pre-pay my standard tips, or shall we call them what they are, which are Service Charges? Cruise earlier this month on HAL did not permit the prepayment but I could have posted an OBC for myself too.

In all of my cruises I have never received service that did not warrant at least the minimum amount requested of the cruise line. Sometimes I add in extra cash, other times I just put the coupons in the envelope and am done with it. -

Usually I pre-pay about two weeks prior to travel unless I'm using the Disney Visa on DCL and then I add it to the reservation to get the benefits of the card.

There are so many people behind the scenes that receive a small part of that service charge. I figure if I can afford to cruise, I can afford to pay the service charges.

JMO.

I prefer to pre-pay my standard tips, or shall we call them what they are, which are Service Charges? Cruise earlier this month on HAL did not permit the prepayment but I could have posted an OBC for myself too.

In all of my cruises I have never received service that did not warrant at least the minimum amount requested of the cruise line. Sometimes I add in extra cash, other times I just put the coupons in the envelope and am done with it. -

Usually I pre-pay about two weeks prior to travel unless I'm using the Disney Visa on DCL and then I add it to the reservation to get the benefits of the card.

There are so many people behind the scenes that receive a small part of that service charge. I figure if I can afford to cruise, I can afford to pay the service charges.

JMO.

We prepaid before sailing last week on the Fantasy. We were given vouchers and envelopes for the staff. We then added money as an extra for the waitstaff and room host as they were so good. You can always adjust the add on to your folio also but everyone was so great and srevice beyond compare to other cruise lines we have been on.

Archived