Need help with Darwin and Port Hedlund

Pearl64

We will visiting these two ports next February when the Solstice stops. We are not into an entire day of crocs. Posts on Cc have discouraged folks from going to Litchfield due to distance. We probably would not be doing any swimming. Our interests are history, animals, and local culture. Suggestions of what to see in Darwin and possible tour companies. I have done some searching with not getting desired results. I would like some recommendations from anyone who has taken tours here. Or is a car rental a better option?

I can' t seem to find much in Port Hedlund. I did see a tour of the iron plant. Is that worthwhile? Just need some suggestions from those who have done tours here .

All help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Pearl

I have been to Darwin twice and based on your stated interests, here are some places I would recommend that you see:

1. Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory--excellent museum with art and history of the area. Free admission.

2. Australian Aviation Heritage Center--if your interest in history extends to aviation.

3. Aquascene--hand-feed the fish. It's a lot of fun! (Open times are based on the tides. You can check times online before you go.)

4. Fannie Bay Gaol--Operated from 1883 to 1979. A good look at convict history in Australia for almost 100 years. Free admission.

5. Territory Wildlife Park and Berry Springs Park--These places (adjacent to each other) are about a 45 minute drive from Darwin. There are a lot of native animals here and an aquarium of sea animals as well. Berry Springs Park has natural pools and picnic areas. (The pools are great for swimming, but they are likely to be closed for swimming in February).

You'll want to base your choices on the amount of time you have in port and your tolerance for heat and humidity because there will be an abundance of that in February. If your time is limited and the heat/humidity are oppressive, you might want to just do Aquascene (it's in water) and the Museum (it's air-conditioned.) I know there is a bus that goes to the museum and I imagine there is a bus that goes to or near Aquascene. Then you would not need to rely on a tour or rent a car.

Great suggestions for Darwin GradUT, particularly for someone with the OP's interests.

As to Port Hedland, there is a reason you can't find much. It has a population around 13,000 so Solstice will increase it by 20% the day it is in port. I'd make it a day for a quick wander in town. While the Pilbara is beautiful, at least to me, there is just not the infrastructure to cope with those numbers so I can't see how you'll really be able to find a guide to enjoy it. If the ship is doing tours that may be your best bet.

GradUTs Darwin suggestions are good but be aware that its not a bustling metropolis ;). You can pick up some good aboriginal art for a much lower price than elsewhere. I'm glad OP isn't planning on any swimming as the saltwater crocs make it a very bad idea. I am a bit baffled by the Port Headland stop as it really doesn't have anything to offer. Maybe they are trying to develop their tourist industry so it's chicken and egg.

Port Hedland is a port of convenience as the bigger ships cannot get into Broome due to the big tides. But think of it this way - The nation's economy is shipped out of Port Hedland and we would be far worse off if it wasn;t for the Iron Ore export. IMO it is great that cruise ships are visiting ports with a difference instead of the same old hum drum.

Some of the more recent ports include Geraldton, Bunbury, Albany, Esperence etc and on the east coast, P&O are scheduling cruises to PNG.

If you don't have lightweight pure cotton clothing, you might like to buy some in Darwin, as it will be hot and humid at that time of year.

After you visit the Museum and Art Gallery of Northern Territory, suggested by GradUT, you might like to pop next door for a cool drink overlooking the water, like a local.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/museums/aboutus/

We will visiting these two ports next February when the Solstice stops. We are not into an entire day of crocs. Posts on Cc have discouraged folks from going to Litchfield due to distance. We probably would not be doing any swimming. Our interests are history, animals, and local culture. Suggestions of what to see in Darwin and possible tour companies. I have done some searching with not getting desired results. I would like some recommendations from anyone who has taken tours here. Or is a car rental a better option?

I can' t seem to find much in Port Hedlund. I did see a tour of the iron plant. Is that worthwhile? Just need some suggestions from those who have done tours here .

All help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Pearl

We were in Darwin on a Regent cruise (2010 World Cruise) and it has several WWII museums. I enjoyed visiting the Australian Aviation Heritage Center which has many war planes inside including a B-52 that had flown over Viet Nam. Another tour was to the Territory Wildlife Park. Know nothing about the other port. We are returning to Darwin Jan '13 on another Regent cruise and plan to go see my B-52 again.

We went to the museum noted sbove. A taxi was around $15 each way. We spent about 2.5 hours there. Our ship had tours that included the museum but that only gave people around 45 minutes. We took the taxi back to the downtown area after the museum and it was an easy walk back to the ship from there.

There is a HOHO bus in Darwin (tourtub.com.au), that will take you to lots of interesting places. They will now fit in with cruise ship times, and also will drop you back at the wharf. Agree with MMDownunder re the Museum, and popping across the road for a cheap but great lunch at the Sailing Club. Used to eat there often.

Just adding a bit more re Darwin. It will be very hot and humid there, with possible rain esp around the 4pm mark for some reason, or if there is a low brewing then it can rain for days. Darwin is small, but I wouldn't say walkable re sights, esp with the heat. Driving there is easy, very easy, little traffic compared to cities. There are a few tour companies situated down Mitchell St for onthespot tours, if you wish to chance that idea, also hire cars (hire cars are further up towards the entertainment centre and theatres). A few tours do the jumping crocs, that will only take a morning of your time. This is a fab tour, plus you will get a glimpse of our outback. Sundays are pretty dead in the city itself re shops. Also Darwin is big on pearls...no pun intended Pearl, but they do a lot of pearl diving in the vicinity. Can even buy pearls at the markets! Whatever you see/do, you will love Darwin.

Jen

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I know it will be the rainy season. We will just have to deal with it. Perhaps, we can just think of the mountains of snow that are back home. That should put us in the correct mindset! As much as I would like to go to Litchfield, I think given our time restraints that that option is probably not possible.

Feel free to offer more suggestions.

Pearl

Port Hedland is really a nice little town. If you miss signing up for the tour of the iron ore plant on the ship they may be offering free tours once you get to town - there will be shuttle buses to take you to the public park. We didn't realize the tours were being offered until after we were there for a while so we missed signing up for one (not enough time).

There's a little restaurant on the main street - stopped for scones and coffee. And a very nice art gallery - I bought a couple of books and a painting by a local Aborigine artist. Local folks were out with maps, etc. to help you find your way around.

DSC01360.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

• 1 month later...
We spent a day in Darwin on the Dawn Princess last September. We took a private tour to Litchfield. Had a wonderful day

Hi Paul929207,

We´re going to Darwin on the Dawn at the beginning of April next year.

Please share your info on your private tour.

Sandy in Spain

Archived