Which is best? Rome or Venice Jewish Ghetto?

arkansasnanny

How do you define best?

The Roman Jewish quarter (later ghetto) was home to Jews from the time of the Roman Republic. It was home to one of the only Jewish communities transplanted from Israel before the diaspora, and the community has its own very old traditions (different from Ashke**** or Sephardic).

The Jewish ghetto in Venice was the origin of the term "ghetto"; the first place where the Jews were sequestered and locked in from sunset to sunrise in the early 16th century. Despite these restrictions, Jews in Venice were actually treated better than those in many other places and were also among the first to be "freed" from the ghetto. Of course, we all know about the "Merchant of Venice" but Jews were also allowed to become doctors and were both respected and feared for their learning.

Both areas are still very evocative and also very much central to modern Jews living in these cities today.

So.....which is best? I don't think I could decide.

Cynthia gave excellent background. If I may a few points which might be of interest and/or help you decide which one to see:

1) It was Napoleon who freed the Venetian restriction on the Jews.

2) Not only were Venetian Jews allowed to be doctors, but the Doge's doctor was always Jewish (who, though he had to wear the costume required of all Jews, he alone was allowed out at night to visit his patient.

3) The Papal States treated the Jews worse than just about anyone else. Very restrictive occupational limitations; disgusting annual rituals; that sort of thing. The Jews had some persecution in the early days, but once the CHurch gained power, things became (and stayed) very nasty. At least partially because of these restrictions, the Jews of Rome were bereft of scholars. This was not true of Venice.

I've visited both several times. If I had to recommend one over the other, it would be Venice.

In Venice in order to see the "secret synagogues" you must take a tour from the Jewish Museum. The tours run on a regular schedule and you don't need to book in advance.

The tours run every half hour or so starting around 10AM.

You can find out more at jewish ghetto dot it

How do you define best?

The Roman Jewish quarter (later ghetto) was home to Jews from the time of the Roman Republic. It was home to one of the only Jewish communities transplanted from Israel before the diaspora, and the community has its own very old traditions (different from Ashke**** or Sephardic).

The Jewish ghetto in Venice was the origin of the term "ghetto"; the first place where the Jews were sequestered and locked in from sunset to sunrise in the early 16th century. Despite these restrictions, Jews in Venice were actually treated better than those in many other places and were also among the first to be "freed" from the ghetto. Of course, we all know about the "Merchant of Venice" but Jews were also allowed to become doctors and were both respected and feared for their learning.

Both areas are still very evocative and also very much central to modern Jews living in these cities today.

So.....which is best? I don't think I could decide.

Hi Cynthia I really did not explain my question very well. What I meant was in terms of "places to see, Syn.'s, ect. We won't have time to see both and just wondered what other cc thought about the two. Still can't decide. But thanks for answering. Julie

Venice, by doing the tour through the Jewish Museum there, as riffatsea stated above. A more evocative area on the whole.

For Rome, visit the museum in the basement of the Great Synagogue, and take the museum's tour there which will also get you into the smaller Sephardic synagogue in the same building. Also that is the only way you will get to see either for security reasons. The rest of the area is not as evocative as Venice's ghetto area IMO.

Venice, by doing the tour through the Jewish Museum there, as riffatsea stated above. A more evocative area on the whole.

For Rome, visit the museum in the basement of the Great Synagogue, and take the museum's tour there which will also get you into the smaller Sephardic synagogue in the same building. Also that is the only way you will get to see either for security reasons. The rest of the area is not as evocative as Venice's ghetto area IMO.

Thanks for all the information. I have booked a tour of the Venice Jewish Ghetto then will go to the museum andgo on their short tour. Thanks everyone julie

• 2 years later...

Ba'Ghetto is a restaurant in the Roman Jewish ghetto that my daughter really likes. It is near the Porticus of Octavia.

It has the traditional Jewish Roman cuisine including the fried artichoke.

DD says the Baba Ganouj, tahini, falafel and hummus is the best she has had in the three years she has lived there.

(She's home visiting for the holidays and talking over my shoulder.:rolleyes::))

The Roman Jewish ghetto would take about an hour to tour, including a Great Synagogue tour. It is close walking distance of the Forum, Pantheon, Campo di Fiori, etc.

The bakery in the Ghetto is very good. The sundry shop a few doors down has good prices on inexpensive trinkets.

If you go during a Jewish Holiday time the area might be closed/barricaded.

Archived