Snorkel Shipwreck - Echo and/or Sebago

SAILSKAT

We are interested in the shipwreck snorkel tour that is offered through Sebago (but it's listed as the Echo so I'm not entirely sure who runs it). Has anyone done this recently? I searched the threads but all the info was pretty old. Any feedback is appreciated.

We are interested in the shipwreck snorkel tour that is offered through Sebago (but it's listed as the Echo so I'm not entirely sure who runs it). Has anyone done this recently? I searched the threads but all the info was pretty old. Any feedback is appreciated.

Echo and Sebago are separate companies, but there is some consolidating going on in Key West. Sebago does not offer a shipwreck snorkel, but the Echo, being a much smaller catamaran, will allow a minimum of two people to charter the boat and then you have your choice of what you can do based on how much time you buy. Selections include...

+ Wild & natural dolphin encounters

+ Snorkeling - coral reefs and shipwrecks

+ Lobster hunting lessons

+ Tropical islands and beaches

+ Wildlife refuge and tropical bird cruise

+ Fast, stable catamaran sailing - sailing lessons

+ Picnics & parties on the water

+ Weddings and engagements (special options available)

+ Sunset sailing cruise

+ Custom requests

+ Champagne upgrades available for all Private Charters

But these types of charters get expensive.

http://www.dolphinecho.com/charter.htm

Pjk

OK - that makes sense. I saw the Wild Dolphin Encounter & Shipwreck Snorkel from ECHO that runs 9:00-1:00. Then I saw the same thing offered from Sebago, but when I re-read the discription I noticed that it says this excursion is "aboard the Echo II" also from 9:00-1:00. I'm assuming they are one in the same. They are both priced at $79 per person. So I'm thinking they are the same excursion, just being booked by two different sites.

They are the only ones that I could find that had the shipwreck snorkel in combination with anything else. Echo it is!

Thanks again for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
Post back your impressions of the Echo trip. (The only other org.s that go out to the wreck is for scuba divers)

Pjk

I would like to hear about this too. Did you find out if they will refund your money if the ship does not dock? If not, they would get a lot of bad press on CC.

If the weather is bad and they don't go out, all of the companies will refund your money or give you the opportunity to reschedule, which won't help a lot of one-dayers. I'll see what I can find out about what happens if you book and the ship doesn't come in or doesn't come in on time.

Pjk

If the weather is bad and they don't go out, all of the companies will refund your money or give you the opportunity to reschedule, which won't help a lot of one-dayers. I'll see what I can find out about what happens if you book and the ship doesn't come in or doesn't come in on time.

Pjk

Thanks Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I promised a review, but after I got home from the cruise life got in the way and it's a few weeks late. We ended up taking the tour and we booked directly with the Echo II at their website and we really liked it. We went out in the morning with a few other people (we were the only ones from the cruise) and the catamaran was only half full (which is by design, they don't overbook it) and it was like having a private charter. Along for the ride was the crew of 3 (the two Jen's and a friend) alond with a mother/daughter and 2 couples with our family of four which is myself, DH, and two DD ages 20 and 10. The boat is very clean and very comfortable with a bathroom and lots of shade and a sun deck for those who want it. They let a few passengers in the front while we sailed. We stopped at the shipwreck to snorkel and I can say that it's not what you might expect. The water isn't clear like Grand Cayman but it's so nice and warm and really great to get into. The shipwreck itself is an old fishing boat and you can make out the mast and some of the ribs from the hull. However there really isn't much else to see, not a lot of fish etc. As far as snorkeling goes I'd give it a 3-4 out of 10. But the water was delightful and the catamarn sailing was worth the price itself. We also went out to see the dolphins and it was really wonderful to see them in the wild a play. They set out a nice tray of fresh fruit, snacks, beer, wine and softdrinks. There was plenty for all. Also, the crew, the two Jens (in matching swimsuits - very cute) were really knowledgeable about the dolphins and the water and very friendly. If you really just want to spend a wonderful morning sailing around on a catamarn with a little swimming, some nice refereshments and good company then this is the laid back Keys kind of day. It seemed like we had gone out on a catamaran with a group of friends for the day. The memory brings a smile to my face and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Also, the well known B.O.'s restaurant is just 1/2 block from their dock if you want to grab a great fish sandwich afterwards. We saw B.O.'s on the food channel and we wanted to go there - we were not disappointed, the fish melted in your mouth, the conch fritters were great and the Corona's were cold! We changed out of our wet clothes in their restroom and after lunch we just hit Duvall street and did a little shopping and siteseeing along with a decadant key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate (also on the food channel). All in all it was a great day in Key West.

OK, I promised a review, but after I got home from the cruise life got in the way and it's a few weeks late. We ended up taking the tour and we booked directly with the Echo II at their website and we really liked it. We went out in the morning with a few other people (we were the only ones from the cruise) and the catamaran was only half full (which is by design, they don't overbook it) and it was like having a private charter. Along for the ride was the crew of 3 (the two Jen's and a friend) alond with a mother/daughter and 2 couples with our family of four which is myself, DH, and two DD ages 20 and 10. The boat is very clean and very comfortable with a bathroom and lots of shade and a sun deck for those who want it. They let a few passengers in the front while we sailed. We stopped at the shipwreck to snorkel and I can say that it's not what you might expect. The water isn't clear like Grand Cayman but it's so nice and warm and really great to get into. The shipwreck itself is an old fishing boat and you can make out the mast and some of the ribs from the hull. However there really isn't much else to see, not a lot of fish etc. As far as snorkeling goes I'd give it a 3-4 out of 10. But the water was delightful and the catamarn sailing was worth the price itself. We also went out to see the dolphins and it was really wonderful to see them in the wild a play. They set out a nice tray of fresh fruit, snacks, beer, wine and softdrinks. There was plenty for all. Also, the crew, the two Jens (in matching swimsuits - very cute) were really knowledgeable about the dolphins and the water and very friendly. If you really just want to spend a wonderful morning sailing around on a catamarn with a little swimming, some nice refereshments and good company then this is the laid back Keys kind of day. It seemed like we had gone out on a catamaran with a group of friends for the day. The memory brings a smile to my face and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Also, the well known B.O.'s restaurant is just 1/2 block from their dock if you want to grab a great fish sandwich afterwards. We saw B.O.'s on the food channel and we wanted to go there - we were not disappointed, the fish melted in your mouth, the conch fritters were great and the Corona's were cold! We changed out of our wet clothes in their restroom and after lunch we just hit Duvall street and did a little shopping and siteseeing along with a decadant key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate (also on the food channel). All in all it was a great day in Key West.

Hi, thanks for the review! Glad you had a good time. I have snorkeled in Key West (my first time) and recall there was not much to see after going to the Great Barrier Reef. We are booked on the Floridays since it is about half the price and I am taking two teenagers (one my stepdaughters friend) who won't care if we see a sunken ship or not (saw one in Bermuda and another in Aruba).

It seems all the reviews regarding snorkeling in Key West are very positive. Great to hear about more nice people.

Archived