Ketchikan Bear Tours July 31

out12

Will be in Ketchiken on July 31 and want to do a bear tour preferably by float plane. Been looking at Neets Bay and Traitor's Cove. Any suggestions? One better than the other for that time frame?

I went to Neets w/ProMech in early August of 2011 - WOW! What an experience! The flight alone over to Neets Bay was like an excursion in itself - loved it! It was a bear bonanza when we arrived at the viewing creek at the head of the bay, with about 11 bears fishing for their supper literally 10 feet away from us. It was thrilling and exciting, and I am SO glad I went. My travel companions had booked the zipline in Ketchikan, which I had no interest in, so I (gulp:eek:!) bit the bullet and decided this was one of my best chances to see bears up close and personal. I went on my own and fortunately connected with a small family group of her Mom and two teenage kids from our ship, and off we went. It was an amazing experience and I loved every minute of it.

The difference, I believe, between Neets and Traitor's Cove is that Neets is black bears, we didn't see a brown in the bunch. If that matters to you, you may want to inquire with the flight providers about the best time to view browns at Traitors. With the late July visit, you should be right on par for some good bear viewing. Good luck and enjoy the bruins!

I would only consider Anan- by far, and Neet's in that timeframe. In my opinion, you are too early for peak viewing at Traitor's. I have been to all three, with last year chartering a plane- so to have extra time viewing with my nephews.

If you want the best- Anan is the location by far. But- you need to find out if any permits are still around for you, which I suggest you do now.

Is there a way to find out who has permits on a particular day? I've inquired with one who has only one seat available and another who says he's trying for a lottery on march 1 - I did not know there was a lottery then so I'm worried.

You NEED to contact every vendor that may have permits. listings at the Ketchikan visitor site.

If any take refundable deposits depending in if they get any- then do so.

These are ALWAYS tough tours to get.

You NEED to contact every vendor that may have permits. listings at the Ketchikan visitor site.

We will be in Ketchikan on August 3 .. I think I've emailed the flightseeing vendors there so we'll see -- but if I can't get to Anan - do you think Neets Bay would be a decent back up plan? I know the cruiseline offers an option by floatplane and another by boat to Neets Bay. Which of those would be preferable?

They also have options to Traitors Cove or Polk Inlet, depending on viewing conditions by floatplane and a bus trip to Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary.

We will be in Ketchikan on August 3 .. I think I've emailed the flightseeing vendors there so we'll see -- but if I can't get to Anan - do you think Neets Bay would be a decent back up plan? I know the cruiseline offers an option by floatplane and another by boat to Neets Bay. Which of those would be preferable?

They also have options to Traitors Cove or Polk Inlet, depending on viewing conditions by floatplane and a bus trip to Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary.

Forget Neets Bay by boat, but it will be peak with a floatplane. Traitors- maybe, it would be too early for my preferences. I went there last year with a charter-so to have extra time, third week of August. Best to ask the vendor's their recommendations.

Unfortunately Neets seems to be far more time limited than my earlier trips- years ago. The platform viewing is timed with a steady scheduled turn over mandate, that isn't that long. My views certainly are jaded, and definately many people fully enjoy Neets.

Frankly, I would have grabbed that single seat and split up your day. Many of the floatplanes take 7 passengers, so single seats may be easier to get.

Forget Neets Bay by boat, but it will be peak with a floatplane. Traitors- maybe, it would be too early for my preferences. I went there last year with a charter-so to have extra time, third week of August. Best to ask the vendor's their recommendations.

Unfortunately Neets seems to be far more time limited than my earlier trips- years ago. The platform viewing is timed with a steady scheduled turn over mandate, that isn't that long. My views certainly are jaded, and definately many people fully enjoy Neets.

Frankly, I would have grabbed that single seat and split up your day. Many of the floatplanes take 7 passengers, so single seats may be easier to get.

For our first trip to Alaska - my husband and I aren't splitting up for any excursions - but hopefully someone else grabs the seat.

• 3 weeks later...

Delighted to report that Family Air Tours confirmed 2 permits for my husband and I for Anan on Aug 3 -- so excited and now hoping for decent weather!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too have now booked with Family air to Anan bear viewing. 4 July

Although I have to say, having to walk to the platform without a guide is slightly unsettling. I know it's only a short walk, but ha!!! If I see a bear on the trail I think I'll freak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I have to say, having to walk to the platform without a guide is slightly unsettling. I know it's only a short walk, but ha!!! If I see a bear on the trail I think I'll freak.

I hear you and imagine the same but there are several reviews from folks who experienced the same and had no problems... I'm sure all will be well.

Family tours gave a reply... It did make me laugh.... He said he's been doing these trip for 20yrs and has never had a tourist eaten by a bear yet.

So I guess we have good odds for a safe trip.

Be prepared to see bears along the path, look up as well, as they sleep in the trees. Both of my Anan trips, had bears seen on the way to the platform. I always carry an empty soda can with pebbles in it. Easy to keep noisy with little effort.

Be prepared to see bears along the path, look up as well, as they sleep in the trees. Both of my Anan trips, had bears seen on the way to the platform. I always carry an empty soda can with pebbles in it. Easy to keep noisy with little effort.

Any idea if my husband will be able to bring and use a tripod on the plane and for viewing?

Any idea if my husband will be able to bring and use a tripod on the plane and for viewing?

He certainly will NOT be popular at the platform. Ask your vendor.

Frankly, I don't get the "tripod" it's daylight- use the correct exposures-( this is a very weak spot with some photographers- who don't know the details- automatic cameras- have decreased the need to step up the knowledge :) ) and having the freedom of movement, way superior. I find the need to easily follow the bear action, rather than constantly adjusting the tripod settings. It isn't like photographing McKinley in various lighting etc.

He certainly will NOT be popular at the platform. Ask your vendor.

Frankly, I don't get the "tripod" it's daylight- use the correct exposures-( this is a very weak spot with some photographers- who don't know the details- automatic cameras- have decreased the need to step up the knowledge :) ) and having the freedom of movement, way superior. I find the need to easily follow the bear action, rather than constantly adjusting the tripod settings. It isn't like photographing McKinley in various lighting etc.

Gotcha - ill let him know...

Archived