Lanzarote - help

cocowills

We are visiting Lanzarote on our cruise any ideas where best to visit.

Ive seen a trip to Timanfaya national park quite expensive would it be worth it?

Any idea please, is it worth just getting off the ship and going to the nearest town .

• 4 months later...

There is lots to do in Lanzarote including Timanfaya national park. The island is very easy to navigate with cheap car hire. Timanfaya is around a 30-40 minute drive from the port. Other places worth a visit include:

Jameos de agua - A lovely theatre built inside a volcanic cave with the worlds only albino crabs.

Cuevos de los verdes - A series of volcanic caves with some stunning underground pools and stalactites

Cesar Manrique foundation - former home of the world famous artist from Lanzarote. The home is stunning and is built inside a volcanic bubble

Mirador del rio - stunning viewpoint 1500ft high to the north of the island overlooking the neighbouring island of La Graciosa

Town of Teguise (not costa Teguise) - original capital of the island. Quaint old town.

There is also numerous good beaches dotted around the island.

I agree with T6oyd. I love Lanzarote. Cuevos de los verdes is really interesting. Guides take you down, I don't think you can go on your own. You just buy a ticket at the site and wait for the next tour.

There's also a nice cactus garden that's worth a visit.

I would second cnd crsr's suggestion too, as car hire is very reasonable. I was pricing it myself recently and it was about 40 euros for the day with unlimited mileage.

We rented a car and drove to Timanfaya national Park, then visited a winery on the way back. It was a lot more reasonable than a ship's tour.

We want to visit Timanfaya Park & take a camel ride. If we rent a car is the camel rides easy to find?

Apart from beaches, Timanfaya is about all there is on Lanzarote.

We spent two weeks holiday there a few years ago. Not the most interesting island I have visited but Timanfaya is well worth the visit.

Have to laugh at this remark :D I've lived on Lanzarote for over twenty years, and there is so much to see on this island, if you bother to go outside the resorts !

We want to visit Timanfaya Park & take a camel ride. If we rent a car is the camel rides easy to find?

Hi Foxtrot, yes, if you rent a car and drive to Timanfaya via Yaiza you will pass the place where the camel rides are before you reach the entrance to the actual Timanfaya Park. The camels will be on your left hand side as you drive along.

My partner and I went on a Canary Islands cruise last year and one of the ports of call was Lanzarote. My friend picked us up at the port and we had a bit of an island tour to show my partner the island. We had an excellent lunch in one of the bodegas in La Geria and I enjoyed meeting up with my friend who I hadn't seen for a few years.

At the end of the cruise I asked my partner which place he had liked the best. I expected him to say Madeira or Tenerife, but no, he said Lanzarote. I was quite surprised at his answer so asked him what he liked about it. He said the island gave him a good vibe and it was very different to anywhere else ha had been.

I would rent a car for the day as car hire is cheap in the Canaries. We rented in La Gomera and Tenerife last year from Hertz and it was only 32Euros for the day all inclusive. There is plenty to see in Lanzarote as already mentioned.

• 11 months later...

sorry thuis is the correct address

Sun and Beach Car SL | C / Los Ajaches # 2 (Puerto del Carmen )

Lanzarote, Las Palmas, Spain. | Tel: 928 511 105/06. Fax 928 511 157

International: +34928 511 105/06

Edited by fredflint

Hi fredflint!

The car hire company you have chosen is in Puerto del Carmen, a good way from the port - perhaps 20-30 euro from the port in a taxi. Is there no way they will bring the car to the port for you? Are you actually locked in to this booking, as there are car hire sites actually on the pier, and others that will bring the car to you.

We are visiting Lanzarote on our cruise any ideas where best to visit.

Ive seen a trip to Timanfaya national park quite expensive would it be worth it?

Any idea please, is it worth just getting off the ship and going to the nearest town .

Lanzarote has to be one of my most favorite islands in the world! Lucky you to be going there. I hope you like it as much as we did. When we got off the Equinox we made a beeline to the car rental agency Cicar. Cheap car rentals and the personnel are very nice. It's right at the port so it's easy. We drove from one end of the island to the other. There are maps in the rental office. We got to the all the places T6oyd mentions and a winery too. Great day and we had so much fun and took lots of photos.

• 3 years later...

Can anyone recommend a tour operator that goes to Timanfaya? I will be in Lanzarote November 8, 2017 from 10 am to 6 pm aboard Rhapsody of the Seas. I am a little scared to rent a car- always nervous about a car breaking down and not getting back before the ship sails. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone recommend a tour operator that goes to Timanfaya? I will be in Lanzarote November 8, 2017 from 10 am to 6 pm aboard Rhapsody of the Seas. I am a little scared to rent a car- always nervous about a car breaking down and not getting back before the ship sails. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

We used Blackstone Treks and Tours. Our group of 8 did the 'Discover Lanzarote Grand Tour' and we saw Timanfaya National Park, Cueva de Los Verdes, lunch at a viewpoint near Haria, a market in Teguise and a wine sampling at a La Geria winery. The island is very different from the other Canary Islands and well worth a tour.