Denali lodging

mdwfolsom1

I've seen both, but not stayed in either. They are completely different. Will you have a car? If so, I would stay away from Princess, since you are independent. It is an extremely busy lodge with endless buses coming and going and a lot of milling around people. :) (maybe this is an attraction for some?)

I have stayed at the Princess several times, but not at the McKinley Creekside Cabins so I can't offer a comparison.

While it has been at least a decade since we've stayed at the Princess, each time we were there it was at the end of the season when we had won road lottery tickets(to take a private vehicle into the park). So the facility was starting to close for the season and wasn't as full as would be mid-season. The Princess is a large complex of similar buildings, and the rooms were a very generic hotel type similar to what you would expect in a Hilton.

I'd like some opinions if people prefer Princess lodge in Denali or McKinley creekside cabins. Anyone with experience with both? Thanks in advance.

Since you have a car, I would stay away from any lodging with a cruise company name on it like the plague. We stayed in these cabin - Parks Edge Log Cabins - in Healy which is maybe 10 miles from Denali. They are neat, clean, had kitchen facilities and were priced reasonably. Check out the cabins category on Trip Advisor.

DON

Anyone stayed in Denali Touch of Wilderness B&B in Healy? I just booked there.

YES- my top recommended B&B. I also have stayed here in the winter. Barb- will have a packed breakfast ready for you, if you have an early shuttle bus, plus she has a bagged lunch selection.

Since recommended lodging is being mentioned- for budget lodging, I highly recommend Denali Park Hotel. Large clean basic rooms, microwave and fridge.

A couple years ago they started offering shuttle service which really is a great service, but having a car is a lot better in my opinion at Healy locations.

YES- my top recommended B&B. I also have stayed here in the winter. Barb- will have a packed breakfast ready for you, if you have an early shuttle bus, plus she has a bagged lunch selection.

Thanks - that's good to know. It looked like a great place, and had a rec on a B&B site. Would've liked to have stayed in the Park, but no lodging there in May.

Getting psyched for our trip! 9 nights on the Pacific Catalyst II (12 pax!), followed by a week roundtrip from Anchorage to Denali in a rental car.

Thanks - that's good to know. It looked like a great place, and had a rec on a B&B site. Would've liked to have stayed in the Park, but no lodging there in May.

Getting psyched for our trip! 9 nights on the Pacific Catalyst II (12 pax!), followed by a week roundtrip from Anchorage to Denali in a rental car.

I've been knocking around a Lindblad trip for a couple years. My priority are their naturalists. :) They have awesome one way Ketchikan/Juneau trips. I occasionally get some great discount offers. Just haven't jumped to the 6++ times costs of a cheap cruiseship. :)

You'll have a great trip.

I've been knocking around a Lindblad trip for a couple years. My priority are their naturalists. :) They have awesome one way Ketchikan/Juneau trips. I occasionally get some great discount offers. Just haven't jumped to the 6++ times costs of a cheap cruiseship. :)

I would do them if they ever got cheap enough. Pacific Catalyst is a private company; owners/operators of the one boat, and a naturalist doubles (as the cook, I think). They also do one-ways on Juneau/Ketchikan run. We caught A&K deep discount for a trip to Egypt & Jordan, and boy did that spoil us forever.

Archived