Back from Orchestra Feb21-28

johnlcruise

Back from the Cruising to Music Feb21-28th

First, the ship was great. Very nice and very clean. The crew really takes pride of there ship and you could always see them cleaning. I have never been on such a clean ship.

Now to answered some questions you all must have. These are my options only.

This was my 31st cruise. I try to cruise at least twice a year. And I’m in my mid 50s

Yes the room are very small. We had a balcony room and we enjoyed it for the little time we where in it. You get used to the smallness of the room after the 2nd day. Bathroom was ok and the shower had great water presser. Our room steward was great and the room was always made up by the time we return.

The staff was also outstanding. A little smile will go a long way and if you make a effort to know a little Italian it sure does help. Not once did we every had a bad time with the crew. They met all of our request.

One bad thing though is in Grand Cayman the process of getting off the ship was not very well organize. They called too many numbers at the same time causing a bottle neck and a very long wait to get off the ship.

The pool area is very nice but tends to get very crowed on sea days. No big deal. We always found a chair.

The interior of the ship. Stores and lounges where all very nice and kept very clean. We found some better deals on the ship then we did in Cozumel.

Prices in the bars where very reasonable better then what the charge you for a drink on CCL,RCCL,HAL.

As for the food. Will I can say I never went hungry and there was always food available. At night at around 11:30PM they bring finger food to all the lounges for us. If you did not get any then you where not in the lounges. The one night they had a mid-night buffet at the pool and it was very good. Long lines but it did move. I will say this the food was OK but not great. If you are going on this cruise for the food then you better off going with CCL, HAL, or Celebrity . As I said I never went hungry but the presation of the food and the items to chose from could have been better.

We where a group of “Cruising To Music“. With Blood Sweat & Tears, Chuck Negron, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Return (a Beatle band) and a group called Scramble. All was fantastic and our group of 500 had a super time. What made this cruise was the Music.

I found that IF you where not on this cruise with a group there was really not much to do. Saying that if you are looking to be kept busy with things to do on the ship. Then you should really look into RCCL or CCL.

BUT if you want a nice relaxing cruise with out all the annocments and some down time and if you really don’t care about what there is to eat then this would be a nice cruise.

This cruise line is not for people who like CCL or RCCL. This line is a little more refine and European so stick with the American lines if you want more of the things you are used too.

Would I do a MSC again. Sure why not. A cruise is what you make it to be. And YES I did have a good time.

Loved the ship and the crew.

This cruise line is not for people who like CCL or RCCL. This line is a little more refine and European so stick with the American lines if you want more of the things you are used too.

1. In what way was this line more 'refined and European" than the others you compare it to?

2. What are the things you believe those who like CCL or RCCL are "used to" which would cause them not to like about MSC?

3. Was there the same % of passengers who were American as on your prior cruises on the other lines?

thanks for the review! Great to hear that you had a good time. Quick question about the tendering in Grand Cayman--I have a group of 19 and we're scheduled to do our own snorkeling trip and we're supposed to meet them at 11. Do you think that's enough time to get off the ship? Thanks again!

thanks for the review! Great to hear that you had a good time. Quick question about the tendering in Grand Cayman--I have a group of 19 and we're scheduled to do our own snorkeling trip and we're supposed to meet them at 11. Do you think that's enough time to get off the ship? Thanks again!

Yes..We got our tender tickets at 7AM had number 2 and we where one of the first off the ship. We got to shore around 10:15AM. If you are going with Moby Dick tours you will love them.

1. In what way was this line more 'refined and European" than the others you compare it to?

2. What are the things you believe those who like CCL or RCCL are "used to" which would cause them not to like about MSC?

3. Was there the same % of passengers who were American as on your prior cruises on the other lines?

1.Its not an American kind of ship. If you have been to Europe you would know what i mean.

2.On the American line ships CCL, RCCL they offer (the daily program) alot more things for you to do on sea days then just sitting by the pool. More games..

3. Yes and No. Depending on where I was cruising. Europe,the Med. etc.

1.Its not an American kind of ship. If you have been to Europe you would know what i mean.

2.On the American line ships CCL, RCCL they offer (the daily program) alot more things for you to do on sea days then just sitting by the pool. More games..

3. Yes and No. Depending on where I was cruising. Europe,the Med. etc.

Thanks for considering my questions. I am still confused. Although I have lived in Spain for a few months and travelled extensively throughout all other parts of Europe (and have lived for years on other continents) I confess I don't know what you mean when you say it's not an "American" kind of ship. Do you? If so, could you tell us?

2. You say one of the things that those who like CCL and RCCl will not like about MSC is that there isn't as much to do on MSC on sea days. This seems to contradict your fellow cruiser, Johnken, who recently wrote about the great entertainment team on board the same cruise.

Entertainment / Theater –

We also LOVED the “ EXCELLENT ENTERTAINMENT” TEAM. They always scream that! There were 8 of them and they were in charge of all the daily activities. They were always funny, always on time and always a riot. They are very funny so make sure you see them in action by the pool or in the lounges. We miss them already. We love them hiding in the trees or behind lamps and scaring passengers as they walk by. I laughed so hard I was crying!

The ship had great energy and each bar had different entertainment. Each bar had a different vibe. There was ALWAYS something going on.

Is there anything else that those who like CCL and RCCL would not like about MSC?

...........just let the poor man post his review without cross-examining him.

When people opt to publish opinions it is not unfair to ask them to explain strange and confusing statements. If their answers are unintelligible it is not unfair cross-examination to ask for further clarification. OP opines this line is "European and refined", "not an American kind of ship", but when asked to explain what he means by that, he responds with "you have to have been in Europe to understand." That is nonsense. If this OP, or anyone posting an opinion, can't fairly explain what his words mean, his statements are meaningless. If follow up questions help to demonstrate that the OP doesn't know what he is talking about or is flat out wrong, then we will all be served.

I bear no malice towards the OP, but I would like to know what he really means when he (and anyone else) says this line is "European and refined." The same goes for his very curious opinion that people who like CCL /RCCL will not like MSC. I quoted a fellow passenger who had a contrary description of shipboard activity, the only distinguishing factor cited by the OP. I asked OP if there was anything else that would support his opinion that people who like CCL and RCCL will not like MSC. OP may want to take the opportunity to disagree with Johnken's observation about the excellent entertainment team or he may expand his original answer, or modify his original opinion that there was not a lot to do on board the Orchestra.

You may think this is unfair cross examination. I don't. Too often people defend some pretty silly statements with "it is my opinion and I am entitled to it." That kind of evasive gobblygook doesn't help to inform others of anything except maybe that the opinion being questioned is not entitled to much credibility.

I‘m sorry I started this.

What I’m trying to say. Is MSC is more European then CCL or RCCL. I have cruised on P&O, Polo and other European cruise lines. The staff or the Europeans I find are more refined, dress better and have that European flair of being better then us Americans who are dressing down these days and don’t care how we look. When I’m in Europe I would never wear shorts at night or a t-shirt. This was seen at night on the ship. (I know here comes more flaming)

Also to ME this cruise is more laid back and does not have all the crazy activities that you will find on CCL or RCCL. That was fine with me. BUT for those cursers looking for more activities to do on sea days this might not be the cruise for you.

As for the Entertainment team I did not see them much because of our group. But from what I did see they where great.

YES, I did have a great time. The show where great both MSC shows and our music group shows.

I mean what more can I say. To each there own.

Lets make it a super day.

You gave your review which most people take for what it is- your thoughts and opinions of your cruise, the ship, etc. For most of us, that is sufficient and appreciated. No one that gives a review should have to be subjected to an interrogation- especially since some of what you said has been said by many others and explained by others. Thank you for your time and insightful reporting. I completely get it- as I am sure most do. Your statements are perfectly clear to the majority of us. Have a great day!!! And again......THANK YOU!!!!!

I have been on MSC .Here are my impressions .Food is served European style ..meaning certain seafood like shrimp with heads on or calamari with the whole little calamari head and tentacles

I know certain Americans get grossed out (Canadians too )because it is not served this way in North America

I found if you were not Italian you did not get same treatment .A whole group of Italians got all kinds of specials every night because they spoke the head waiters language .By luck I changed table and got the same

I too found cabins TOO small for my liking

No food was available when we returned fro excursions .no all day buffet ...if you missed lunch .very few options except to get a pizza at 4 or 5 .The lines were enormous .I felt sorry for the workers .They could not produce them fast enough .It was not always pleasant

The atmosphere on deck was fun

I got sick of hearing ITALIAN STYLE every 2 seconds ...ok maybe 5 seconds but it was TEDIOUS !!!

My experience on Lirica was not the best but I met GREAT people

Just to clarify my friends loved the OPERA -different ship same company

I guess its your luck of the draw

If they do another music cruise next year and the price is right I will try it

The staff or the Europeans I find are more refined, dress better and have that European flair of being better then us Americans who are dressing down these days and don’t care how we look. Also to ME this cruise is more laid back and does not have all the crazy activities that you will find on CCL or RCCL. That was fine with me. BUT for those cursers looking for more activities to do on sea days this might not be the cruise for you.

As for the Entertainment team I did not see them much because of our group.

Thanks for attempting to clairfy. If you are saying that Europeans are more refined than Americans because they dress better I now understand your statement to the effect that the ship is more refined. I don't agree that Europeans necessarily dress better on cruises, but at least I comprehend what you mean. I assume you mean to say that the presence of so many better dressed people made the ship environment seem more refined. I don't disagree with that. A well dressed passenger contingent always gives the ship a more refined air (which is why I like formal nights). Did Americans really only constitute 10% of the passengers as someone else estimated?

I also now appreciate that as a member of the "Music" group that had private entertainment, you may not have had the opportunity to experience the regular onboard entertainment about which Johnken wrote. That would explain the different takes you each had on the onboard activity.

You gave your review which most people take for what it is- your thoughts and opinions of your cruise, the ship, etc. For most of us, that is sufficient and appreciated. No one that gives a review should have to be subjected to an interrogation-

agentgirl,

Does the fact that you are a TA with a large group of customers sailing MSC in a month require you to not only promote the line with the enthuisiasm of a highschool cheerleader, but to assert that those of us with questions about another posters' comments are wrong for asking them? Do you really maintain that no poster's opinion should be questioned, no matter how confusing or unintelligible it is? My god, it's not an interrogation. It's just a request for clarification. And when someone is asked to clarify, as the OP in this case, do you really believe your advice to him that it is okay not to explain because " it is your thoughts and opinions" and "that is sufficient"? If you do believe that, I think you are sadly mistaken.

I believe it is not unfair to politely ask posters to clarify something they have written. When questioned, I do believe it is meaningless for someone to defend their statements with nothing more than "it is my opinion and I am entitled to it." That kind of inane response just demonstrates the opinion lacks credibility. That is good for others to find out, especially TAs. I would think a good professional would want to know why a cruiser holds certain opinions and whether or not they are credible in order to better advise their clientele. Don't you agree?

In grand cayman I missed my excursion that I had booked privately. I had an appointment for 11:55am and I did not get off the ship until 12:30. I had tender ticket number 1. The problem was they called a whole bunch of numbers at the Same time.

Archived