Anyone been fishing in Ketchiktan??

BigK09

We booked the salmon sportfishing (I wanted wilderness fishing but was outvoted). Trying to figure out what i need for cash.... to have the fish processed and shipped is it cash only, or can I charge it? Any estimates on cost? Thanks!!

I am not sure if this has changed but you have to have an american adress to ship the processed fish to. If it is to be sent to a Canadaian adress it is not possible. This is what happened to me and my DH a couple of years ago.So we were able to have the salmon cooked for supper by the cheif on board ship. Nothing better than fresh caught salmon. I know there were americans on the boat with us and they said the procrssing was very expensive. You also need to purchase a fishing licence and will need another on if you intend to catch king salmon. The king salmon have to be a certian size to be able to keep them. We had a great time fishhing hope your fishihg trip is a sucess as well and you have a great cruise:)

We went with Capt. Ken w/ Northern Light Charters. He primarily does salmon, but we do a lot of salmon fishing so requested bottom fishing. He picked us up at the dock, and put us right on the fish. The 4 of us had 4 hours of non-stop action... mostly turbot (look like flounder), which are considered a trash fish (which he fed to eagles that came to the boat)... But we ended up keeping about 17lbs of rock fish (yellow eye/snapper), halibut and cod fillets that we paid $135 for processing (vaccum packed filets) and shipping. It was the fishing trip of a lifetime and I can't wait to do it again.

http://www.ketchikanfishing.net/ken/

A lot depends on when you are going as per the type of salmon one catches. Last year in mid-July, we caught over 90 pounds unprocessed and 60 processed which we had fresh frozen and smoked. This was in mid July and we caught silver and pink, considered less desirable, but actually quite good. We fished at both Juneau and Ketchikan. Processing can be charged and is not cheap, but is sent to you overnight after you get home. You need cash for a license, $20, and if you go for King Salmon, usually in early to late June, a King Salmon stamp for $10. We have gone for King, much harder to catch and are doing that again this year. The King must be 28" or longer to keep. Halbut fishing is also good although Princess does not stop at the best location for those fish, Icy Strait Point. Tight lines and good fishing.

Fortunately we are american so can ship it. We hope to also have some cooked on board... How does that work - do we give it to someone on board?

If I also want to ship some home, can I charge it?

Thanks

We booked the fishing trip with princess and what happened was the captian of the fishing boat cleaned the fish on the fishing boat on the way back to the dock.We were given a tag to fill out how we wanted the fish cooked and our dinning time and our cabin number. Then this fish was delivered to the boat by the captian of the fishing boat. It was served to us for dinner. It was a sockey salmon. There was no charge for doing this for us. Best chck with princess to make sure they are still doing this. Hope you have really good luck.:)

Fortunately we are american so can ship it. We hope to also have some cooked on board... How does that work - do we give it to someone on board?

If I also want to ship some home, can I charge it?

Thanks

First off I dont think any M.M. cruise ship is going to cook your catch and serve it to you . The person who said this was more than likley on a small ship. As to the ques. we went in Sept. and I fished in town (Ketchikan) right off a bridge and caught 35 pink salmon but threw them all back. I brought my own rod and only had to buy lic. There are a few threads about sending fish home but it costs a lot of money and would not be worth it to me . You can buy smoked salmon in port and have it sent to you this would be cheaper.P.S. It looked very good.

I am not sure that the Island princess is a small ship. And yes they did cook it for us. I have pictures of it on a plater in the dinning room on board ship. All of the waiters in our area of the dinning room had tin foil ready to take away any left overs. Which there was a whole side of the salmom not eaten buy us.They also kept asking us if we were going fishing again on the cruise. I hope they still do this being Canadian we cannot bring salmom from Alaska which was very disapointing. It was great fun to go salt water fishing in Alaska. It was well worth the money for the excursion. There even was king salmom caught that was big enough to keep. :)

The charter that we used was cash, with CC gurantee.

The processing was CC order given to our captain who than dropped the fish off at a local plant. I can only assume we actually got the fish we caught but the weight was about what we expected.

We booked the salmon sportfishing (I wanted wilderness fishing but was outvoted). Trying to figure out what i need for cash.... to have the fish processed and shipped is it cash only, or can I charge it? Any estimates on cost? Thanks!!

Be in Ketchikan June 3 - i have had 2 companies actually turn me down - saying fishing is not good that time of year!! They said they would be just taking my money!! Anyone go fishing in Ketchikan that time of year and catch fish?

Archived