Self-service check-in kiosks: What's your take?

What do you think about self-service cruise check-in kiosks (choose all that apply)?  

510 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about self-service cruise check-in kiosks (choose all that apply)?

• I think it is a great idea -- it will speed up the process.
    • I like it; if you want something done right, do it yourself.
    • I'm on the fence; what if I have a question to ask someone?
    • I'll opt for regular check-in -- I'm not very tech savvy!
    • Whatever happened to good old-fashioned one-on-one service?
    • I tried it at Port Everglades and liked it.
    • I tried it at Port Everglades and disliked it.
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

In an attempt to further streamline the check-in process -- ever more onerous as ships grow in size -- Carnival is testing out new self-service cruise check-in kiosks at the Port of Miami. Costa introduced them just last year at Port Everglades.

To use the kiosks, Carnival passengers must pre-register online and be a citizen of the U.S., Canada or a visa-waiver country. Guests can access their reservations and check in by swiping their passport or the credit card used to pre-register. (For more information, read the full story here.)

We want to know: Do you think self-service check-in kiosks are time savers -- or more trouble than they're worth? Vote in our poll and be sure to post your opinion below!

I think its good for people who can figure it out. I have been in line behind people at the self check out lines at places like Walmart, and it tends to be slower for the ones who can't figure it out, which in turn, slows me down...

I agree with Amy. So often the people who get in the lines are not very tech savvy and it really is slower (I am often one of those people, have yet to check in at the airport without help). I'll just continue to enjoy my Platinum VIP check in!

Gee, I stopped flying the airlines because of the lack of service. Now I drive to the ports or take Amtrak. To me part of the cruising experinece is that these mundane task are done for me. What's next--charging for luggage?

I agree with Amy. I use the self service kiosks at airports, stores, etc because I know how to use them and it decreases the time I have to spend waiting. If people choose to use this option and don't know what they're doing it will slow down the entire process and create frustration not only for themselves but other passengers waiting to use the kiosks who (hopefully) know what they're doing. I think it's great (and a necessity) that they will still have the traditional check-in agents for those that wish to check in that way.

I think it will work wonderfully, esp if it is done similar to wally world, movie theaters and airports... meaning still have the full service option available to those who prefer it. I would prefer to have all my stuff done on-line before hand and then check in with a simple swipe of card.

The question is. WILL it really work?. I hope that there will be some reps. by the check-in Kiosks just in case.

Just like the airlines now. You can always find (most times) a airline rep at the Kiosks to help if there is a promblem.

If it gets me on the ship faster, then I'm all for it.

While it would be a possible GREAT idea.....I watch at the airport at those that "just don't get it" and are totally lost. I don't think it would fly, not to mention that it would put people out of work that are doing a GREAT JOB and giving that personal touch and greeting, to new passengers ready to board !

This will never work. Too many stupid people who will not have everything needed, too much luggage in the way, too many kids to screw with, and too many things that can be done at the desk with the slowest Carnival clerk they have, and once you finish that, you will have to merge into the regular line to get your picture taken for the card and wait for their stupid photographers to take your embarkment photo whether you want it or not before you get on the boat. Don't mess up a good (not perfect, but good) system they already have. To speed things up, limit the screening and get rid of the stupid photographers at embarkment.

Though I can understand how this would save many people time, I for one enjoy being greeted at the desk with a smile and hear "Welcome back Mr. xxx." I also enjoy the one-on-one service those agents are able to provide if I should have any concerns or questions.

With that said, I still think it would be a great option to have for those who enjoy using this service.

I like the idea of a self-service check in, but think there would have to be a few people there to help those who did have questions or to address problems that may arise. Plus, there are always going to be those people who are not as tech-savy (you know, the people who still write checks in the grocery store check out) and will want someone else to take care of things for them.

I have to agree, too many individuals will not read/understand/follow the directions for self check in. I dislike the self check outs at the grocery store, it is inevitable, I get behind someone who is unable to scan properly!

Call me cynical, next we'll clean our cabins, buffet will be the only option... Oh for the cruises of yesteryear.

I'll second the opinion that it's a great idea if people know how to use it.

But - it'll even be a better idea if it'll give me a passport stamp after I swipe my document! :p

That is a good idea. Maybe they will pick up on that and use it.:p

I have to agree, too many individuals will not read/understand/follow the directions for self check in. I dislike the self check outs at the grocery store, it is inevitable, I get behind someone who is unable to scan properly!

Call me cynical, next we'll clean our cabins, buffet will be the only option... Oh for the cruises of yesteryear.

It would be nice for the users that want to use it to have a choice to use it. It will speed things up.

I have mixed feelings about self-checkout for two reason....

#1- I work at a supermarket at the podium for self-checkout. There are many people who use it that should not. They have no clue what they are doing and I feel like it would be quicker for them to go to a regular register and be seviced by a live human being.

#2 - In this time of struggling economy, it would seem to be putting some people out of a job. I hate the idea that humans lose jobs to machines. Keep it personal and friendly, not mechanical and cold.

That said I would probably prefer to go to the counter and let a rep handle the computer.

Before you start the online registration process, have your credit card, cruise receipt/info and passport ready for each passenger.

Select/Complete Funpass documents for each passenger

At this point follow the steps thru for each person. At the end, an adobe .pdf document with luggage tags can be generated or you can opt for the mail out from the ship (unless it is too close to your sail date).

Hope this helps - the process was a little confusing at first, but hang in there.

I think it will work wonderfully, esp if it is done similar to wally world, movie theaters and airports... meaning still have the full service option available to those who prefer it. I would prefer to have all my stuff done on-line before hand and then check in with a simple swipe of card.

Could you fill me in???

What is "wally world"??????

I like the idea of self check in personally, but would encourage the cruise line to provide both options.

There are some who are extremely comfortable with the self check in process and can breeze thru it quickly, but there will be others who don't have the correct documents, are confused by the process or desire a more personal touch for their cruise.

Keep both options for now, at this point there doesn't seem to be a need to eliminate one or the other, both options serve the needs of a particular demographic of the cruise line.

I thinks it's a great idea for those who want to do it.

It's good there are still standard options for anyone who wants to do it face to face.

I LOVE self check-in and the self checkouts at supermarkets.

Especially at the market. There is hardly ever any line at all and I can be in and out quickly........

Archived