Bar Harbor or St. John for trip inland to see fall colors mid October?

We’d like to try and maximize our chances of seeing the fall colors. If they are not in full color on the coast, I thought we might take a trip inland to peep. Does anyone know which of these two ports would be the best one to do this? Are there mountain ranges close by?...thinking that might be our best chance. Does anyone know if there will be cabs available at the dock we can hire for the day, or should we book a private tour in advance? Please let me know your experience if you have done this before, if you have any recommendations, and how much I should be prepared to spend for four people. We will be in port 11 hours each day. Thanks in advance for your help!!

We’d like to try and maximize our chances of seeing the fall colors. If they are not in full color on the coast, I thought we might take a trip inland to peep. Does anyone know which of these two ports would be the best one to do this? Are there mountain ranges close by?...thinking that might be our best chance. Does anyone know if there will be cabs available at the dock we can hire for the day, or should we book a private tour in advance? Please let me know your experience if you have done this before, if you have any recommendations, and how much I should be prepared to spend for four people. We will be in port 11 hours each day. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Colours in Saint John will be in full blazen in mid-October. There are some scenic driving routes outside of Saint John that offer rolling hills and waterviews of our rivers and bays. You could rent a car to do this. There are cabs at the dock for $50 / hour.

A good one id the "River Valley Route" to historic Gagetown.

In Bar Harbor I suggest you take the tour that goes up to the top of Cadillac Mountain. It is not far from the port and the view is spectacular. We drive down to the Maine coast every October and the colours are wonderful then.

Archived